Who Has A Heated Garage/How to...?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...after reading all the options, I decided we're just going to go back to the Philippines for 3 mos.. :)

Leaving two weeks after Xmas

- the car can wait

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My walls and doors are insulated as are the windows, but believe it or not the cheap builder did not insulate the ceiling. How much difference would kjust doing that make in the temp. Any ideas?

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andrew, are you talking about the kind that fits on the top of the propane tank? Do they smell? Require venting?

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was having a huge moisture problem last year with a non vented gas flame heater, it was creating water vapor in the garage, as it has no flue. Changed over to a Hot Dawg heater (go to Google.com and check out the name) and you will find all sorts of information on the different size heaters they make. For about $400 it works fantastic. I had a plumber run the natural gas line from the house to the garage, and this heater will heat a 1 1/2 stall garage to 50 degrees (or much higher) in no time, and you do not need a dehumidfier. This thing dried out the garage in less than a week and kept it that way.
I think Home Depot carries this heater, only the larger economy size, way to big for my garage. Vents through the roof or the garage wall. I changed it over to the roof this fall, it looks better that way for our situation. Good luck!

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy, I'd either blow in loose insulation or use roll in pink insulation for the ceiling.

As I mentioned in your other post, with the electric heater there are no moisture problems with non vent gas.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My walls and doors are insulated as are the windows, but believe it or not the cheap builder did not insulate the ceiling. How much difference would kjust doing that make in the temp. Any ideas?

Blow in cellulose.... 8"= a TRUE R38 if open rafters.... MUCH better than fiberglass as it does not allow convection heat transfer to occur. A side benefit is most cellulose include a little borax in it... bug hate it. You will never have ant or termite problems if you use borax containing cellulose.

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had 8 inches of cellulose blown in today and the electrician is figuring what size electric heater I need. Should have everything done by 1st week in Jan!!!! Then wax, wax, wax!

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also since I will be pulling my snowy work car in the heated garage that is carpeted with indoor our door carpet I made a protective mat for it to sit on out of 6 mill plastic wood scrapes and round foam pipe insulation. Works great!!!!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy has the plumbed heating in the floors. OMG, that is the cats ass because you can work on the floor in the dead of winter and it is nice and toasty.

These have finally begun to be accepted in the U.S. They have been in use in Europe for many years. These is a REAL sweet unit now for sale in the U.S. If I ever do another shop (or a slab foundation house) this will do the heating. This thing is really neat:

Munchkin Boiler for radiant floor heat

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be very careful using your house heater if it is hot air. fumes could get back in house if you have a cold air return. one min. runinng a car or any other fumes could get in. i have a four car gag. with 40,000 btu. nat. gas works well. also a window uint for ac. our town will not let you use your house system.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a duct from the furnace (hot air). No cold air return in the garage however. I agree totally with the exhaust fumes aspect. Not having a return probaly reduces the flow through the duct a little but a garage is poorly sealed and does not pose a problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo