HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could do a search and find more answers than you have
questions. There was a thread a few days back on a set
of heads by Greg Good, for a S/C setup. If you're planning
on going the S/C route later, then you don't want the heads
milled, but if you're staying NA, it would be worth a few more
HP. The right cam is always a compliment to a head upgrade.
If your upgrading a GEN-II, then you have the choice of the
aftermarket Mopar casting. Sometimes you can get lucky and
find a deal on a set of prepped heads - but consider the source,
heads(and valve train) are too important to be second guessing.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on your money situation and what you have done to you car already I would start with cylinder heads at $2600 plus roller rockers its a cheap rwhp. You will need to get a head set from Chrysler witch can be attained for approx $350. Then I would do the SC next. If you could afford it do both !!!!!!!!

Just remember if your going to do the heads you should have headers and a cat back system too for best results

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My heads are ported through TNT Motorsports, RSI has ported heads on their Viper that just ran 9.48 in the 1/4 mile. Call nick at TNT and ask him any question he is very knowledgeable
TNT # 713-880-0279
My belief is anytime you have correctly ported heads you cant go wrong and the key word is correctly.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one thing to keep in mind, if your going to send your heads out to be ported, some tuners also shave them to increase compression... usually around 10:1. This could be an issue if you decide to add a supercharger package down the road.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi bitten2,

I have just done exactly what you are asking about, a set of ported heads that are designed to work well with a super charger. I have a Roe SC sitting on my office floor ( it just arrived today )

When it comes to the heads you only really get one shot to do it right
so be careful who you choose to do them, they are not like a
supercharger where you can add a smaller pulley at later date. Go for
the people that can make your car breath the best as it will only
enhance every modification you do from that day forward. I got my heads done by Greg Good with TNT as he is the best in the business, if you want to check the flow numbers check this link I posted them there http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/014781.html

I believe that I have the best flowing stock casting heads ever!

As for your decision on the cam there are hundreds of references on this site about how the minor differences in the cams between 1999 vipers and 2000 vipers makes such a big difference in performance, that one should really think
new camshaft = good idea

Call TNT they supplied my cam and it makes the car feel like a missle now compared to before!

Steve

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He had the same thing I did - only my car is FASTER!!!!
wink.gif

Regards,

Gerald Cashiola

Suspended
Reaction score
We @ RSI offer state of the art CNC Cylinder Heads they come complete with 2.02 and 1.60 Stainless Steel Valves , Full Bronze Guides, Heavy duty ISKY Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers, and Full Machine Valve Locks.. These are the same heads used on our world record 9.48et @ 149.95 GTS. We also offer a full heads & cam packages. Please visit our www.racingsolutionsinc.com or call 281-752-9600 832-642-4060

Gerald Cashiola

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have a head package that works quite well. The package includes: fully ported and polished intake and exhaust runners, three angle valve job, MOPAR performance 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves, Crower valve springs and titanium retainers, teflon valve seals, polished combustion chambers, milled deck surface is optional at no extra charge, T&D shaft mounted 1.7 ratio roller rockers, one piece chromoly .080" wall pushrods. No car with these heads has ever made less than 500 rwhp with headers and exhaust, some have made as much as 520 with stock cam and other bolt ons. The complete package sells for 4,500.00 and we usually have them in stock ready to ship on an exchange basis. The shop number is 410-766-2800, click on my signature for the web sie. There are several posts from people who have these heads on the performance mods and the racing pages who can verify the effectiveness of thi package. Good luck.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, that sounds like a heck of a price for heads w/rockers. Approximately how much labor is involved in swapping heads, or heads/cam? Do you have to pull the engine in either case?

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason i have your pushrods and a set of 1.7 T&D roller rocker set so how much for the heads only, also how much for you to do the install thanks. I have B&B headers, hennessey airbox, vec1 aluminum flywheel, 3 inch exhaust approx how much horsepower would i gain. Presently i dynoed 441rwhp and 481rwtq. Thanks Ron.

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Jason's heads on my car and with rockers on the car before the heads I still picked up around 50 at the wheels with just the heads. They really woke the car up!!!!!!

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not installed the T&D's or pushrods yet so if i got the heads everything would be done at the same time.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try Doug Levin at DLM - 305.249.7223. Doug can build you a set of heads that can suit your needs if you have a stock or replacement cam.

Chuck B.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My charge for replacing cylinder heads is 1000.00. It is not necessary to remove the engine to replace the cam or the heads but it is necessary to remove the heads to replace the cam.
The price for the head work alone with no rockers or pushrods is 3,000.00. Ron, I would guarantee in writing that your car will make 500 rwhp.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason is the heads done in house and what would the damage be if i changed the cam also. I think you would have a custom grind cam that matches the porting of the heads. What is the turn around time? Sorry to ask but my car's paint is great with on scrathes hopefully it would come back the same way if i sent it to you. I assume the 1000 would include or cover all gaskets and fluids.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of our head work is done by our machine shop. The turnaround time for a head and cam install is less than a week. During the course of many years in business I'm proud to say that we've never put a scratch on anyones car (knock on wood). Gaskets aren't included in that price, the 1000 is for labor only. All necessry gaskets & fluids cost about 300 dollars. I offer a cam that works very well with these heads. Labor to replace the cam while we're doing the heads is 350. The cams are ground from a billet steel cam core and use a three bolt timing chain instead of the factory one bolt design. Going with only the highest quality parts assures the highest level of reliability.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, thanks for all the great info. I'm assuming that on a cast piston car it wouldn't make sense to do heads/cam/Roe blower and not replace the pistons while you're at it, correct? How much additional cost would that add to the package, and is there anything else that should be done on an '01 to make it ready for the ~700-750 rwhp it would see with that combo (excluding fuel/tuning issues for now, which Sean is working on)?

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jason for the info since i am from Canada there is a very good possibility i will be doing business with you over the winter. Redgts my concerns with the pistons are the same as yours it seems we may have similar set up's in the future.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as cast piston cars go, I won't supercharge them. The pistons must be replaced with forged. I'm not saying that it can't be done but it's just not worth risking my reputation over. People have done it but the fact is that sooner or later those cast pistons wiil fail on a supercharged application. If you do everything at the same time you could save yourself considerable labor charges. The labor charge for removing the engine, disassembling it, boring, honing, balancing, blueprinting, assembling and reinstalling an engine is roughly 3,500.00. A set of Ross pistons with new wrist pins is about 900.00, rings & bearings are around 400.00+/- and all necessary gaskets & fluids will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of 350.00. If anyone is interested feel free to call me at the shop at 410-766-2800 and I can send you an exact written estimate. Obviously there would be no additional labor for installing ported heads or a different cam at that time.

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Jason's ported heads on my car and i picked up about 80rwhp. I have stock cam and high flow cats in my car.

Heffner's performance heads and push rods
roller rockers
headers
exhaust...