Who has Seen 190 Or Better on There Speedo???

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And secondly how does it feel? Squirrely, safe, scary, hunkered down, I have been to 165 and it feels like im in my mothers arms at that speed..00PROWLER... :eek: :eek:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have hit 180+ a few times in my viper on speedo and GPS. my speedo reads the same as my GPS so it is accurate. the best i have done is 182 mph on a flat section of freeway at a elevation of 1300 feet above sea level with no wind of any kind. the air temp was like 65 degrees. as you can see from my sig i am puttin down 452 rwhp and 495 rwtq to the ground. i am gonna be puttin on some cnc cylinder heads that are ported and polished with bigger valves and 1.7 ratio T&D roller rockers next summer. i am also gonna bump my compression ratio to 10:1 > these mods should get me to 500+ rwhp. i expect that i will be very close to 190 mph with that. if not a change in camshafts should do it for me.

oh yeah my viper feels very stable at that speed. i do have the ultra stiff ACR suspension though and i am sure that helps. i would feel safe goin 200 mph in my car as is. with the above mentioned mods all i would need is a 150 hp shot of nitrous to hit that speed. motortrend magazine tested a john ******** modified GTS that was puttin down 600 rwhp and it went 202 mph. with the stock rear gearing of 3.07 max rpm in 5th gear is 6000 rpm's which = 202 mph. fuel cutoff is 6,200 rpm's

:cool:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
been to 180+ a few times and 160+ many times....VERY comfortable to drive it at those speeds. very stable.

this summer im gonna hit 200 or die trying..:)

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the Sandhills 1 mile shootout last year I was clocked at 189.2 in the standing mile but I stayed on the throttle a little past the finish line just to hit 190+. The way the car was pulling I think it would do close 200 in about another 1/4 or 1/3 mile. I was at about 5500rpm at 190. The car was very stable with no aero mods of any kind other than folding the mirrors in.

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have hit a little over 180 on the speedometer at least. I have been to 160 plenty of times. I have a ACR the tires were almost new and the road was a brand new surface that was closed for about 15 miles. The car was stable and felt good.

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
180+? wow... I've hit 140 and held my breath untill I slowed down.... lol.... I like seeing how fast I can go fast... 0-100.... after that I bow out. You guys are brave.

ChipH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you didn't specify, although I know you were referring to the Vipers. I have been 130 in my Viper, and I don't feel like I have total control. I have been 194 in my Mustang, a drag car, and I can't describe how smooth it is. When I'm on a track, even in the Viper, it seems that going faster is the only goal. If I'm on a public road, I get nervous.

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven’t had the chance to go 190 - my snake won’t do that - but I have hit 150+. Driving a Viper at these speeds is like floating on air. There is no feeling of being at the edge of the car.

With that said and at the risk of sounding preachy, I would NEVER attempt high speed driving unless conditions were perfect (?) and there are no others around that could get hurt should something tragic happen. Additionally, you better have serviceable tires that ARE properly match balanced and a car that is in perfect running condition. Anything less is just (more) foolish IMHO. All it would take at those speeds is the smallest of bumps or driver inattention to result in a fatal outcome. Pretty obvious stuff, but worth saying just the same. My $0.02.

BluBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my Viper to 180. I've also got a picture of the speedodometer just at 170.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys just arent trying hard enough !
I've had 270 on my speedo a few times...

...but it was kmph :D

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done 155mph 2-3 times, 150 plenty of times, and 140 tons, but sticking with this question, I have in fact seen 190+ on my speedo, I had the car jacked up on stands and was spinning the rear with wheels and tires off, with just the lugs nuts to hold the rotors in place and I burried it. 200+ mph !! :-D

Jon

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like most of you stay in the comfort zone of 140 to 155...Why is that last 40 MPH so difficult for most to hit? Is it just to dangerous for most?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like most of you stay in the comfort zone of 140 to 155...Why is that last 40 MPH so difficult for most to hit? Is it just to dangerous for most?

its like the old saying goes, you will run out of balls before the viper runs out of power.

I think seeing those speeds are overwelming

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE] I agree, but with my new Roe S/C I think the car can sneak up there real quick before I know it...00 PROWLER... :) :)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, but with my new Roe S/C I think the car can sneak up there real quick before I know it...00 PROWLER... :) :)

[/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to be anything I owned that it sure can.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rented a 96 gts and ran the *** out of it :eek:
(don't flame me someone else totaled it) :mad:
anyways i got to 5th gear to the floor and chicken out :shocked:
3.00am and the telephone poles looked like they where forming walls.I have driven a few sports cars and dirt track cars also have driven the richard petty driving things in dover and in pa.But nothing like the morning run in the viper.that created the viper addiction. :2tu:

its like the old saying goes, you will run out of balls before the viper runs out of power. :D

this was true for me :eek:

srt/10 fastest 130 following another car have yet opened it up to the point of white knuckles(most times son is with me)But there is always spring :2tu:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhere between 155 and 160 in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. The road wasn't the best but there was a lot more left. Also did 150 in the Callahan tunnel. The GTS feels planted. Rest assured.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have seen 140.

I stayed in it after the 1/4 mile traps at ATCO for a couple of seconds, car was still pulling HARD!

On the street I think 100moh is the ABSOLUTE limit I would go to if I ever did push the car all out. To many variables out there.

Howard

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only problem for me is that i run outta road before i hit the top end for ME....i know i can go faster safely, i just need more room.

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only problem for me is that i run outta road before i hit the top end for ME....i know i can go faster safely, i just need more room.
My problem is I have a stretch of highway near me that is irresistible that ends in a backwoods town and it is straight and long, and it makes me go fast...I will get on the entrance ramp and be at 110 as I merge onto the highway...00PROWLER... ;) ;) ;) :eek:

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you ever get a chance to run the Silver State Classic in Neveda, do it. I have run several times in my Mustang although I was only tech'ed to 140mph. I would require roll cage for higher speeds. GTS and newer vettes can be tech'ed for 160mph with no additional cage. Race is 90 miles long. Cool part about is that I run 140 for about 55 miles before I start to dial my time for the finish. You ever want a rush for 90 miles, this is the race. :2tu: