Who has the best Radar detector??

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am Looking for something that really works, anyone have any information? I hate to buy one blind, all the companies that sell them say they all work great, from jammers to lazers.

FLX109

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the Rocky Mountain RMR-C450 with a voice alert system and scrambler?
are they any good? they say they will pay your fine for a year.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1

And scramblers are BS.

In order to work it would need to transmit a signal, it would be illegal.

It can be done but no big manufacturer could get away with selling it.

Some guy could sell jammers out of his basement shop. Not a big company.

I spent many years doing electronic warfare work for the Navy.
Just playing around, we made police radar jammers that worked in the lab. It's not hard. Getting one to work on a radar when you don't know exactly where the radar is will be a bigger problem.

Believe me. I know what it takes.

There are non transmit methods, with reflectors that get turned on and off in order to reflect pulses back to the radar.

In order to work, the reflector needs to be too large to be practical.

Commercial laser jammers can work. There are no laws against sending out laser energy.

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got an ****** X50, havent had the chance to try it out yet as the car is being worked on. In the Speedlabs test it provided better warning against POP. Im sure the V1 is great too, just didnt care for its looks.

http://www.speedzones.com/

Quoting from Speedzone, "It is a federal felony punishable by up to one year in jail and a $75,000.00 fine to “jam or attempt to jam” a police radar gun."

Laser jammers work and are legal (for now). Read the article for more info.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got an ****** X50, havent had the chance to try it out yet as the car is being worked on. In the Speedlabs test it provided better warning against POP. Im sure the V1 is great too, just didnt care for its looks.
Speedzone didn't test against the current Valentine-1, which has POP.

Looks of the detector really don't matter, its how it works. Most of us here won't do without the directional arrows, which are only on a Valentine-1. Try one sometime - you'll forget what it looks like.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know which one is the best but I know which one is not ...

******'s Passport 8500 X50 is a marketing ********.

I bought this ****** X50 in August 2004 to drive down to VOI 8 in Dallas as fast as possible. I nearly got a stroke on the labor week-end because of this radar detector. It is as effective as a $50 radar detector. When you cruise at 100-120mph and suddenly you hear the alarm to go full range you have maybe 1-2 seconds to break.
Then after you hit the break and you look into your rear mirror see your buddies' tires smoking like hell. And this happened several times during that week-end ...

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us here won't do without the directional arrows, which are only on a Valentine-1.
YEP! Really helpful when you get a cop car approaching from the rear. The V1 is the best working detector out there.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Got the clean record too.

V-1, don't leave home without it.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
k40 is overpriced piece of hype. for some reason porsche fans like them. dont know why.

for me for passive detection valentine one is the choice.

and yes, you can jam laser legally and some laser jammers work like a charm. however, on a viper, you dont need them. all you need is some dark covers for your headlights, no front plate and some tiny stripes of black tape on your fog lights. however, from behind you are still not protected.

regarding active jammers, lets just say that those work very well too, but you have to build one yourself. also, some radar guns are aware of when they are jammed and will display code which might be enough for the officer to pull you over and search your vehicle. the good part is that the jammer does not have to be visible and is non-directional so you can hide it pretty well.

ofcourse, i have no practical experience. this is what i've read on the net.

alex
few cars

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a recommendation for you guys that speed occasionally for a lot less $ :
Beltronics 985
I bought this about a year ago or so and it was less than half the $ as a V-1 and the radar testsites rated this very closely to the V-1 (at the time). Just went on a group ride over the weekend and my detector went off the same time as the others in the group (could tell by the immediate breaking) and I'm assuming most had v-1's. I'm sure this is not their new model and probably can be bought on ebay for $100 or less. It's got voice commands and a digital readout that tells you the type of radar and the strength. Several others here also bought the same model at the time and its a great detector for the occasional speeder. Would I buy a bel over a v-1 for similar money? No way. Would I buy a bel for 1/2-1/3 the money over a V-1? Yep. Again, I only speed occasionally. JMHO.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,
The V1 has the directional indicators. I like that feature.
The other one might be cheaper but the direction is nice to know.

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right on; the sensitivities of several of the radar detectors are very close. Those things have a 12-14 mile range. Speed traps are supposed to be within a quarter of a mile. The arrows and numbers are VERY helpful, much more than I would've predicted. It's amazing in a metropolitan area how often they double up or triple up with patrol cars. But if you don't want to spend $400, then yea, spend $100 and just don't get the arrows.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man you guys living in the past.
"With an increasingly wide gap in the V1’s level of sophistication compared to modern designs--not to mention a minimalist feature set, quirky ergonomics, an exceptionally chatty nature and stiff price tag--the competition has clearly passed it by. Small wonder that Valentine’s market share continues to shrink, down to an estimated 0.6 percent and falling. Time for a new model, guys."
http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=9090

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Beltronics RX65 and have no complaints with it. I can see where the arrows on the V-1 are a great feature to have but on the other hand I don't think the V-1 has the "spectrum" mode of the RX65 whereby it can display the current strength levels of all types of radar being detected simultaneously thus allowing the user to decide priorities between the types of hit being seen and their respective levels of strength.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned the Valentine and the ****** X50 -- and neither is better then the ****** SRX which I have installed in my Viper now. The X50 is about $300 compared to the $1600 price/installation for the ****** SRX. It is a superior product.... if you can not afford it, then go with the Valentine 1.

see: www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=1048

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned the Valentine and the ****** X50 -- and neither is better then the ****** SRX which I have installed in my Viper now. The X50 is about $300 compared to the $1600 price/installation for the ****** SRX. It is a superior product.... if you can not afford it, then go with the Valentine 1.

see: www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=1048

Maverik lets see some pictures of it installed in your car...Just want to see the look of the srx when its installed. I hate having loose wires etc. in my car.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
God I hate Radartest.com. That website is SO unbelievably biased I wont even read the garbage that they spew onto the internet. Just look at their review that includes the V1, half of their chart for the V1's features is WRONG! unbelieveable.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned the Valentine and the ****** X50 -- and neither is better then the ****** SRX which I have installed in my Viper now.

It's hard to believe but I have a mental block against anything this is named ******. I'm not trying to be funny, I'm really serious. That Ford ****** is one serious piece of dog doody and I would have a hard time buying an ****** radar detector, but that is just me.

The X50 is about $300 compared to the $1600 price/installation for the ****** SRX. It is a superior product.... if you can not afford it, then go with the Valentine 1.

Man, that is some serious coin for a radar detector. I'm having a hard time justifying $400 for a V1 considering I don't speed much. Hence the Beltronics 985 is perfect for me. For $1600, I'm assuming the ****** SRX must spin circles around the V-1 or at least it should.