Who has tried Water Wetter (results)?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drained my coolant, added one bottle of water wetter and filled with distilled water. The directions say if done this way you can get up to 20 degree difference in temp. It also says if just adding some to the coolant already in the car maybe 5-8 degree difference. Should this difference be all the time or only on highway or what? I went for a drive thru town, not on highway and saw no difference at all. I thought it might help when tracking car at Sebring this weekend.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water wetter's nice for track cars because:

Clean-up after a spillage accident is easy (no glycol)!

You may be sacrificing some protection by not running actual coolant. If it's a road car, I'd stick with regular coolant.

$.02

Mike

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't heard before that Water Wetter claims to have corrosion protection to the point that it can be used with only water.

I did read in Car and Driver that Zerex racing Super Coolant is made for this.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used it w/ my mustang a long time ago. It worked pretty well, but you had to use it w/o coolant... that made me nervous.

If it works, let us know! I'd love to find a way to cool down the viper...

JD

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think those things are scams, they say drain coolan and add 100% water. I think adding 100% water is what cools the car better, not the wetter... maybe someone knows the truth.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried it in another car I have and it did not do a damn thing, but this was street driving.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not harping on it but my dad used the Zerex Racing Super Coolant with distilled water in his 69 Roadrunner and it significantly dropped his temperature.

Problem is we live in Michigan and he needed to add coolant when it got close to winter.

I don't know why you wouldn't try this in a warm climate.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i kept water/coolant ratio as stock and added two bottles water wetter. noticed a consistent about ten degree cooler difference, worth the couple bucks i spent

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dam after reading that I feel like I need to go drain it out. I think I will try it just this one event and keep a good eye on it. Its not like I have been having over heating problems. I just thought with this hot weather were having now that if this water wetter worked maybe it would be good for a day at the track.
I'll give it a try with one bottle, then cool the car down and add one more bottle to see if there is a difference. If I see no good results at all, I'll drain it out when I get home from the track and go back to factory specs .
I'll let you guys know the results.

Thanks for the input,
Mike

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike,

Brad may have gotten the corrosion problem because he probably kept it in all the time (water wetter and distilled water). I think you'll be fine if you just use it occassionally, like for this weekend's track event. Have fun out there and report back.

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys
I can't speak for use in a Viper , but having own a 427 Cobra replica for years and hanging out at the Cobra club I can tell you that many, many guys over there have use water wetter with good results. The rules with water wetter are simple.
Use it with distilled water and an bottle of anti-corrosive. Without using anti corrosive or coolant your asking for trouble.
If you live in cooler climates you should still use coolant
however here in California you can get away without coolant if you only drive in warm weather.

Carleton

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Zerex Racing Super Coolant has ther coorosion protection as their regular antifreeze but it doesn't have the glycol. That is why it runs cooler.

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Zerex Racing Super Coolant has ther coorosion protection as their regular antifreeze but it doesn't have the glycol. That is why it runs cooler.

I have read some good reports on the Zerex but, I already put water wetter in. I might try it the next time. I heard it was hard to find and you have to order it directly from Zerex.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do what you want but I wouldn't leave Water Wetter in there with straight distilled water.

Corrosion starts immediately so why the heck wait? It's easy to change too and you don't have to get completely anal about draining, filling, running, cooling, draining again, filling again, etc. etc. 3 or 4 times like you do when you flush the system every 3 years. Mixing Zerex with whatever Water Wetter would be left in the block after draining once wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, I hear you have to order Zerex.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m not so sure now if it’s worth the trouble of using this stuff. I hear both "yes" and "no’s" of it effectively dropping temps. Then there’s the problem of immediate corrosion as Craig pointed out if you’re just using water wetter and distilled water. Knowing that, I wouldn’t use it. I’d rather try out a lower temp thermostat or a larger radiator if I really got serious. I figure even if the engine is running on the hotter side, as long as you're not pinging, and not losing power as a result, then there's no harm. You can even buy and mix some race unleaded gas (i.e. Sunoco 100 unleaded) at the track, race gas seems to make an engine run cooler and add that extra safety margin from detonation. But for now, better to keep a mixture of coolant in there for protection. Plus, I think coolant acts as a lubricant for the water pump seals.

Sorry, got side-tracked there. But if cooler temps is what you're after, there are alternatives than just water wetter.

I’m just amused of the title of this stuff, hasn't anyone caught on other than Gerald?. Like those As seen on TV items: The amazing "Water Wetter" makes your water, WETTER than it already is, plus it can possibly cool your temps!...$9.95 plus shipping & handling, CA residents add sales tax. Act now while supplies last, order yours today!!! (LOL!) :D