Who makes the best sticky street tires?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I been thinking about this recently because my car will be coming back from DLM soon and was wondering who makes the best sticky street tires in 18"s? Gonna need some to put the power down to the wheels. I dont care much about longevity since my car doesn't get that much miles anyway a year.

PS..Also can I just put them on rears only and run mt stock front pilots?

Thanks in advance

Adam

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Run a broken in set of BFGs. they launch great on a strip and do good on the road to plus look like stock; go about 17psi. yes keep your stock fronts

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would look at the Toyo RA1s, as you can get them from Vilven,and they will get decent wear,and are damn sticky ( this is the tire the World Challenge Series uses, and the Comp Coupes ). They shave all their tires, so you have to ask them not to.

Call Bob Vilven at 800-251-0017

OP
OP
B

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, I appreciate your input. How are the cornering characteristics of those tires. I am curious as to what I give up in a softer stickier tire in grabbing power as opposed to handling ala high speed cornering vs straight out drag racing? All this is about street though not track.

Adam

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, how are they on the street?

Good post Adam. I've been wanting to ask this question myself as my car should be done this weekend with an extra 120rwhp.

Michael

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Adam,

Never heard anything good about different front and rear tires so I wouldn't rcommend it.
If you are talking about tracking your car, ie. road racing and want a sticky
tire look at Hoosiers. :2tu: I've seen Bill P recommend the Toyo's before...I have no experience with them but plan on giving them a try this season. The Michelin Sport Cup does come
in 18's but again I have not heard any thing good about them.
They run cold for the first couple of laps and you have to be careful.

Fast Eddie :usa:

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam

I'm going with the BFG Drag Radials on the rear. I used them on the Z06 and my 00 with Nitrous. Hook great (you'll need them)

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently running the BFG's on my car. They aren't great for cornering or super high speeds, but they hook like a champ!

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK how much? Were they cheaper at partsrack than Tirerack?
Did you get all 4 or just rear?
Andy

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think JonB sells them for a little less. He's a Viper guy too, so he gets my biniss. You only put them on the rear.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard bas things about the cup tire...anyone concur on the lack of longetivity issue PDMRACING found with this tire?

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam96 .....The BFG work very well, but if you ever get into rain slow down to 30 mph. They are very DANGEROUS when the road is wet. They hook very well and will fit on the stock 18" rim.

Cudaman :usa:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK how much? Were they cheaper at partsrack than Tirerack?
Andy

HEY ANDY ! Even If I was the same price as TireRack, (Im not) Id like to earn your business! And shipping is the exact same cost. Thanks for considering PartsRack....we even drop our $$ for lots of TX VCA events, and are always ready to support VIPER OWNERS.

While TireRack will take your order...PARTSRACK will really appreciate your business! THANKS! Eaxmple: Right now, our rear OE 18s are $25 less than TireRack !!!

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB, I give you all my Buss because you are a Viper Guy! Between my wifes Bday in Dec., Christmas, & DLM, my Viper account is getting pretty empty. I will order tires next week. Still thinking about Stoptechs but I need a final bill from DLM before I go all out.

Thanks
Andy

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if JonB's price was $25 more and not less, it's not always about price is it? I don't think Tire Rack supports the Viper community the way Jon does and they can more afford to.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViporXXX,

I have a 97 GTS wth 17" wheels. I wanted to upgrade to larger/beter brakes, but needed 18" wheels to do so. John Purner told me that I did not have haev 18 " all the way around and could go 18" up front only. He said THAT some of the VRL guys were doing just that - - i.e., running 18s front and 17s rear without any problems. Any VRL guys who have done so, please feel free to correct any misinformation I may have just conveyd.

Rocky

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if JonB's price was $25 more and not less, it's not always about price is it? I don't think Tire Rack supports the Viper community the way Jon does and they can more afford to.

I agree.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang