Who races SCCA solo?

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a member of SCCA but have never run autocross with SCCA yet. I've done some long roadcourses-2.9 miles at Texas World Speedway, Road Atlanta, etc-but have not competed in SCCA. Have any of you done this? How does the Viper compare with the BigDog Vettes? In the class the Viper would have to compete in, is it fairly classed, or is it handicapped out of the realm of reality? Thanks, everyone! Reggie

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The non-ACR, pre-2008 Vipers are eligible for "Super Stock" class, against the C5 and C6 Z06, Lotus Elise, and Porsche 996 GT3. The 2008 Viper, and both gen ACRs, go straight to "A Street Prepared", a class of cars with modifications like larger than stock wheels, upgraded suspensions, and basic bolt-ons.

I bought my 2004 SRT-10 just to run with the SCCA in Super Stock, where it does just fine. :)

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did an SCCA Solo Novice drivers school recently and I have very little experience autocrossing. My own impressions were that cars like my 2008 and the larger hp cars (2008 Z06 etc) that were there did well enough but still have an inherent disadvantage in that (1) especially on the short, tight layout we had the hp advantage is negated because you never really got over 40 mph and (2) the Viper and Z06s were dimensionally wider, longer and heavier which is a disadvantage on a tight course.

My instructors were posting times that were somewhat similar to mine and noted after each runs that 2008 Viper actually did not feel as heavy or wide as they thought it would but that the Viper would have more of an advantage on other autocross courses with more elongated straights and larger raduis curves.

Bottom line though, is that autocross is a lot of fun and is a great way to learn car control while minimizing the high speed risks associated with open track/high speed driving events.

/Rich