Why haven't we seen any Gen V info yet?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my understanding of how this thing works. (maybe totally wrong though).

The decision, for whatever reason was made to shut down the Connor Ave plant and regroup.

I imagine they will request proposals for designs and proposals with costs. The SRT team will make their proposal. Maybe that is one of the reasons the ViperNation is being requested to share our thoughts. I would imagine that Fiat/Ferrari would make their competitive proposal. Saleen/Roush/McLaren may have their input. Even the racing venues that a Viper may compete in will be surveyed.

These proposals will be presented to the powers that be, and if a business case can be made, the production will be given a go ahead. They may even decide to take parts from several proposals and combine them as the best shot at a success.

Reality will be injected all along the way. If Viper people say they reject any electronic nannys, such as stability control, and the Government requires it to be included, then that will hurt the chances of production. If gas goes above $5 gallon, that may require a more efficient engine. If competition releases a superior product, that may give them second thoughts.

All these things, and more will be considered.

I believe it is impossible this far out to give us solid, concrete answers to our many questions. They do not even know the answers for certain themselves till additional information makes the way forward more clear.

So please do not jump down their throats, demanding to know what is going to happen 2-3 years from now. Just realize how much the auto industry has changed in the previous 2-3 years.

See everyone in Utah.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to think that they work 2 to 3 years out for a next GEN vehicle. I would guess that there is already a lot of progress regardless on the go forward decision.

Bruce

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to think that they work 2 to 3 years out for a next GEN vehicle. I would guess that there is already a lot of progress regardless on the go forward decision.

Bruce

That's my point too. If they plan on bringing out the new Gen V in 2013 the decision has been made, and much of the foundation work has already been done. Why not whet our appetites just a bit for a car that is over 2.5 years away, which should be plenty of time to move the existing Gen IV's :dunno:

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reality check:

1) We are just starting a global depression.
2) Fiat will have a hard enough time selling F cars let alone a G5 Viper.
3) U.S. government will not approve a G5 Viper as Chrysler/Dodge will be bankrupted again and this time it will be DOA.
4) Don't worry about high gas prices as oil will be going down to $20 - $25 per barrel.
5) YOU are going to have many other things to worry about.

Now back to fantasy land...............:lmao:

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellas do you guys realize how many YEARS IT TAKES to produce a new model from start to stop.Almost finalized prototypes are done and have been for some time now.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps i can tell you this with the Ford GT the mag guys i know were drag testing basically an almost finalized prototype in 04 (car came out as an 05 )That prototype was a damn near production car.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ I'm sure theyve already started

Why would they release any information right now? that would make nobody want to buy the 2010 viper. If a Gen 5 comes out it'll prolly be a 2013 or 2014 car with the concept next year or 2012.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why haven't we seen any Gen V info yet?

Because the new Chrysler managment is smarter than the old Chrysler management and makes decisions concerning the release of data with their dealers' needs in mind.

As for whether a Gen V is going to occur, Sergio's public remarks seem to have answered that question. The real question is will a Gen V Viper be a Viper in nameplate only or a real Viper. I think it will be a real Viper. Why? Because they seem to be puting alot of effort into reinvigorating the Viper image. Why do this if they are not going to keep the dream alive later? As far as nanny tech, I could care less what they have to do per government regs as long as it can be turned off under certain conditions or shut off by a clever programmer.

Last edited:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reality is only the powers to be know if the car is coming back. Even then current market conditions will dictate what kind of car if it does arrive. All the comments from whomever don't mean a thing. It's a wait and see proposition.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ I'm sure theyve already started

Why would they release any information right now? that would make nobody want to buy the 2010 viper. If a Gen 5 comes out it'll prolly be a 2013 or 2014 car with the concept next year or 2012.
If the car is due out within 12-16 months it has to be almost finalized.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably cruising the streets of Maronella for the past 6 months already.

Sorry but the comments on doing things to help out the dealers is totally and utter BS. Still no true dealer support here in Colorado since they shut down the only Dodge dealer with a true certified Viper Tech (and a very, very good one), no place to take your Viper for warranty or service with a trusted dealer where they take care of the car, know anything about how to repair it, let alone change the oil.

Chrysler could care less about the owner or the dealerships. Want me to buy a new a new Viper when they come out, then restore the the only dealer to have ever cared about them. Still gets me very upset thinking about how Dodge STOLE my money with an extended warranty as they have.

I truly hope there is a new car in the works, but it is going to take a lot more than a fantastic new car for buyers to jump on board. Unless you are fortunate enough to live next to one of the great dealers that support this club. Maybe the Ferrari group will be required and trained to do the work for Viper nameplate. Despite the ridiculous prices they charge, at least they support their product. Ferrari of Denver is only a couple of miles away. Would solve the problem in Denver anyway. of course, if they hired the right Viper tech. There really is only one.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably cruising the streets of Maronella for the past 6 months already.

Sorry but the comments on doing things to help out the dealers is totally and utter BS. Still no true dealer support here in Colorado since they shut down the only Dodge dealer with a true certified Viper Tech (and a very, very good one), no place to take your Viper for warranty or service with a trusted dealer where they take care of the car, know anything about how to repair it, let alone change the oil.

Chrysler could care less about the owner or the dealerships. Want me to buy a new a new Viper when they come out, then restore the the only dealer to have ever cared about them. Still gets me very upset thinking about how Dodge STOLE my money with an extended warranty as they have.

I truly hope there is a new car in the works, but it is going to take a lot more than a fantastic new car for buyers to jump on board. Unless you are fortunate enough to live next to one of the great dealers that support this club. Maybe the Ferrari group will be required and trained to do the work for Viper nameplate. Despite the ridiculous prices they charge, at least they support their product. Ferrari of Denver is only a couple of miles away. Would solve the problem in Denver anyway. of course, if they hired the right Viper tech. There really is only one.

Dodge has been sending offers to me for an extended warranty and I have considered it. For claraification, are you saying they do not honor the warranty you bought or you just do not have any where to get your Viper fixed since Dodge shut down your dealer? I do not want to waste my money.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reality check:

1) We are just starting a global depression.
2) Fiat will have a hard enough time selling F cars let alone a G5 Viper.
3) U.S. government will not approve a G5 Viper as Chrysler/Dodge will be bankrupted again and this time it will be DOA.
4) Don't worry about high gas prices as oil will be going down to $20 - $25 per barrel.
5) YOU are going to have many other things to worry about.

Now back to fantasy land...............:lmao:

Devil Dog has resurfaced. :(

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coloviper said: Sorry but the comments on doing things to help out the dealers is totally and utter BS.

I respectfully suggest that you speak with a few of the Sales Managers of dealerships that survived and still sell Vipers. I have. While I understand your frustration at having your local dealer shut down, that event is ancient history and holding on to the anger about it is unproductive. Furthermore, my guess would be that surviving dealers in Colorado were not displeased with what occurred. Flooding the market with too many Vipers or prematurely announcing a Gen V Viper would be irresponsible. As someone posted above, this is exactly what happened in the transition from Gen III to Gen IV and the deep discounting that was necessary to move the remaining Gen III inventory was not a good thing for the dealers who had Gen III Vipers in their inventory at the time.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why cant FIDODGE get its head out of its A@@ and go to a customer only order system!!! It would solve some of the inventory problems such as when dealers order odd cars like the Tampax ACRs ( white with red drivers stripe) the Tomball ordered 7 of,lol....Dealers would order the Viper you wanted with a 3-5K non-refundable deposit no matter what the circumstances!!!...I was told that this method might be against the law so if it is come up with something binding..:dunno:
As for GEN V even the Grailkeeper said it would NOT be a clean sheet new Viper so why cant it come out in 2011-2012...I think we will know more or get a clearer picture at VOIXI... Until then do like I do just buy a new one every year or 8 months then trade or sell for a GEN V...:rolaugh:....If it doesnt come out you will still have a Viper to have fun with..Kevin

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is exactly what happened in the transition from Gen III to Gen IV and the deep discounting that was necessary to move the remaining Gen III inventory was not a good thing for the dealers who had Gen III Vipers in their inventory at the time.

Heck, there was deeper discounting on the Gen 4's when they were brand spankin' new and nothing "fresh" coming down the pipe:omg: Yeah yeah I know- "the economy and all" but they really shot themselves in the foot bigtime with the $20k employee discount program and totally screwed over the early buyers.

Drivetrain enhancements, new colors, stripes and wheels are just not going to cut it. Viper needs a new look while still maintaining the toughest kid on the block attitude:2tu:.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck, there was deeper discounting on the Gen 4's when they were brand spankin' new and nothing "fresh" coming down the pipe:omg: Yeah yeah I know- "the economy and all" but they really shot themselves in the foot bigtime with the $20k employee discount program and totally screwed over the early buyers.

Drivetrain enhancements, new colors, stripes and wheels are just not going to cut it. Viper needs a new look while still maintaining the toughest kid on the block attitude:2tu:.

I agree. The old Chrysler under the two headed dog team did some incredubly stupid things.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob;

I understand the non-productive comments and believe me, I really do not want to be even mentioning it, but what am I do do for warranty work, which I paid for the very top Dodge factory extended warranty 7 yr, $0 deductible, 100K. Lucky the car has been fairly strong out of the gate, but I am left with no where to even service the vehicle now.

Clarification, I am referring to no "good or respectible" Dodge dealers close by. Sure there are two Dodge dealers very fairly close by, but their service is absolutely horrible, and when I was looking to buy my Viper new, they gave me the run around on prices, availablity and basically would not give me the time of day. I would not even take a vehicle there to chane tires as I am convinced they would continue to screw up the rims. They scuffed them up on my SRT8 Jeep when I tried out the service there a year or two back and I said never again. They took them off and let them fall on the faces of the rim. Come on!

Sorry but it is sad, when you have to seriously consider a backhaul to Woodhouse for a yearly fluid change. Sorry but it is beyond just shutting down a local dealership. Yes it is ancient history but Denver and area does NOT have a decent and respectible dealership or Technician to work on these vehicles.

Productive or not, for the new car to be a hit, the service and support from factory needs to be there. This is the exact very same reason I stopped buying Saleen's new. It is such a basic concept really. Support your product. For the money, the conversation should NEVER come up! For the money, I should not have to always buy the factory service manuals and do it myself. It is the principle of the matter. I just hope someone at Dodge is listening and fixes the problem in this area once and for all. The wrong Dodge dealerships were allowed to survive and the ones that gave good service were shut down. That unfortunately is from very personal experience.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say be patient and have faith... Chrysler has bigger fish to fry right now as a corporation. Nobody wants to hear this but let's face it... they have no real green cars right now and I haven't heard of anything on the horizon. They don't realy have a bread and butter sedan that competes with the Camrys and Accords and now Sonatas of the world. If Dodge existed to only sell the Viper they would cost as much as an Enzo so they need to beef up their volume car, suv and truck lines so they can weather this bad economy and just survive.

Top 100 Green Cars - Yahoo! Autos
New 2010, 2011 Chrysler Car Models - Yahoo! Autos
New 2010, 2011 Dodge Car Models - Yahoo! Autos

Even the cars that they are selling right now are so heavily discounted that they are losing money on most of them.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not to mention it really screwed the ethical dealers who would never do such a thing .Try selling a new car for over 20k more than a used one (15 miles on the odometer )in this economy.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge has been sending offers to me for an extended warranty and I have considered it. For claraification, are you saying they do not honor the warranty you bought or you just do not have any where to get your Viper fixed since Dodge shut down your dealer? I do not want to waste my money.

Same here...was seriously considering it...should we be concerned?