Why is it that Porsches

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see all kind of exotics here in Boca and South Florida. I see Porsches on the road all day long. Do they not have the concern for putting miles on like other types of sport cars. They drive in the rain and are dirty most the time. Do you think it could be because they get leased and are allowed to put miles on them. Just thinking!!!!!!:dunno:

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to be afraid of miles on my Viper, then I realized that I can't take it with me when I die, so I might as well enjoy it now - if you pay for something, USE IT!!!

Was also afraid to drive in the rain until the return trip from the Crab Feast (poured all the way back to Richmond). Then I realized that with good wax and a thorough cleaning, THE PAINT STAYED ON THE CAR!!!

These vehicles were made to be driven (hence the tires and engine). If there were meant to be stared at, they would have a 2cyl engine to get from A to B and come with a set of velvet ropes.

So quit babying the thing and enjoy what it can do (i.e. - dust those Porsches down there).

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And the thing about it is that when they sell them they still get good resale I live next to Boca and a Porsche is like a Honda. LOL

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because most Porsches are meant for daily driving, they are relatively cheap to maintain and they don't have half the problems as most other "exotics"

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the demographics. Although some Viper owners also have a Porsche, I would guess that most do not and visa versa. I suspect the two owner groups are very different in many ways.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Champion Porsche down in your area sells A LOT of cars. It seems that most of the ones I see on the roads down there are boxsters, cheaper model 911's, etc.

Although there are a good bit of 996TT and 997TT out and about.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Naples Motor Sports goes through a LOT of exotics down there including Porsche. They've sold quite a few Porsches. They seem to all have low mileage and the owners tend to trade them in for an upgrade. They don't last long in inventory.

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never thought to much about porches until I drove a 2008 911 turbo cab for about 45 minutes on back roads. All I can say that out of 5 exotics we drove, for the money and drive-ability the 911 won hands down. The car would be an excellent daily driver. It's was super quick and put the power down and stuck to the road with ease. Whatever the performance numbers are, a 16 year old could achieve them........ it's that easy to drive. Excellent clearance and visibility. The tiptronic made gear changes for you if you missed a shift and was much much smoother than the other exotics that day. IMHO....

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice cars and its racing heritage is no joke. Not my cup of tea, but it sure does what you want it to do, though not as fast as in a Viper. I just can't get over the fact that they're more common than vettes.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see all kind of exotics here in Boca and South Florida. I see Porsches on the road all day long. Do they not have the concern for putting miles on like other types of sport cars. They drive in the rain and are dirty most the time. Do you think it could be because they get leased and are allowed to put miles on them. Just thinking!!!!!!:dunno:

Maybe there aren't new. I mean, slap a paint job on a 68 Porsche and they could pass for a 2008.

Or maybe they're all Volkswagons?

Ok, all kidding aside. Porsche makes a terrific car. Of course they should, they've been building the same one for 40 years. :)

Seriously though, I do respect Porsche.

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I never understood the concern about "putting miles on your car". If you want an investment, buy a painting and hang it on the wall . . . . 85,000 miles on my GTS and counting!! Come to think of it, I turned 85K yesterday as I was showing a 911 my rear license plate on 93 north.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First and foremost, the cars last, and a great many are produced. It ads up to big numbers on the street. About 1 out of 1000 car models will ever go up in value. They generally don't make a good investment, so yes, drive them. Porsche owners are driving enthusiasts, not polishers. Their cars depreciate big time, except the top of the line, so they are attractive to buyers of used cars that want to look 'upscale.' They have a more elite image and reputation. I suspect they also are a younger group, and just travel around more. Just my theory.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Viper to drive....not to sit in the garage and use for a trophy just to look at and get off by waxing it everyday. These are cars for the out and out thrill of driving, if you don't drive your car then you are missing out of the real thrill of ownership.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a lot of people with money in S FL and the Porsche is the DD for the average Joe here. Most probably are leased and turned in for a newer model in a couple of years. They are a good all around car though Dealer service here blows.

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have both and when Porsche went to the water cooled motor in the 996 it made it a great car to drive. The maintenance is every 15K and when driving around town I average 18 MPG and highway as much as 26 MPG. It is a car that for years was the posters on walls of most kids. That is why when given the opportunity to get one I jumped on it. 2-18-2006 we bought the 996 Cab, That same year my wife bought me the Viper and had mod's done and delivered it to the house on 9-05-2006. I am selling the Porsche as I want a diferent toy. The Viper sound and torque is reason enough to not sell it. It will stay with me as well as our Prowler and 68 Camaro Z-28...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both and when Porsche went to the water cooled motor in the 996 it made it a great car to drive. The maintenance is every 15K and when driving around town I average 18 MPG and highway as much as 26 MPG. It is a car that for years was the posters on walls of most kids. That is why when given the opportunity to get one I jumped on it. 2-18-2006 we bought the 996 Cab, That same year my wife bought me the Viper and had mod's done and delivered it to the house on 9-05-2006. I am selling the Porsche as I want a diferent toy. The Viper sound and torque is reason enough to not sell it. It will stay with me as well as our Prowler and 68 Camaro Z-28...

Ok, gotta see pics of the 68 Z28. It is a board violation to mention a classic like that an not post a pic.

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will scan some in. We are putting a Vintage Air system in and it is apart at the moment. It was my first car and won second at the Houston Autorama 2 years in a row. I am also putting a set of factory Rally Wheels back on. Hugger Orange w/ White stripes, 3 Dueces, Muncie 4 speed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang