Why Vipers belong on a Road Course and Not the 1/4 Mile

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attn. all owners of Vipers for the 1/4 mile.

This is a Hoot!
http://users.pandora.be/neons/eng/lenayala.html

Lifted off of the pages of Hahn Racecraft at
http://www.hrchahnracecraft.com/

Even in its current 600HP configuration, this Neon is still street driven. And, perhaps even more amazing, it's engine is still mostly stock, with the exception of forged pistons and billet connecting rods. The completely stock cylinder head has never been disassembled in 45,000 miles of use! We resisted other mods to the engine in order to establish the durability and power potential of the stock components. Doing so also demonstrates the power adding capability of the bolt-on HRC TurboSystem on a mostly stock, inexpensive engine. Mission accomplished!

Not every Dodge is equal, granted that this one cost about the price of an additional 2001 camaro. However, the Viper's original purpose was for the TRACK! This is sure to incite friendly flames, however, BRING THEM ON. I think there is only a handfull of Texans that can outdo this Neon. But when I read about this car in Hot Rod magazine I had to post the link about it here.

WAR MIGHTY TEXANS QUARTERMILERS!!
tongue.gif

JAY K.
http://users.pandora.be/neons/eng/lenayala.html

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....once again reaffirming that any car can be made to go fast in the 1/4. I must admit it baffles me why people want to make rather "plain" vehicles go fast. To each his own! If I were to invest a lot of money making a car fast, I would probably start with a '67 Camaro or GTO.

To me, it is more impressive that Dodge produces the Viper, which runs 11's bone stock, than that somebody running enough boost on an aftermarket turbo can run 10's in a Neon.

And just because there's a 10-sec Neon out there somewhere won't keep me away from the drag strip.

Mike L

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it's engine is still mostly stock..........

with the exception of forged pistons and billet connecting rods

and a bolt-on HRC TurboSystem

Mission accomplished!

So!
confused.gif

I think the ricers would enjoy this post more than us.

OP
OP
JGK95

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Throwing an additional 2 cents in again, I have to agree with you guys about the Japanese four doors that have Giant whale tails, hood scoops,etc. and the ever present automotive brand stickers covering 3/4ths of the car. ITS Just a PASSENGER car!! However, these people choose to remain shortsighted by their own admission.

Great responses so far,

Jay K.

p.s. Steve have you ever serviced your Vipers at the Dodge Dealership on Golf Rd. I may have seen your Blu/Whi Dream car before.. Just wondering.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone explain to me how a 400 HP turbo Miata is stock? I guess if you supercharge a car, bored 60 over, with its original paint is stock also? LOL...too funny. I agree you can make a go cart fast if you want...only need money. The Viper is definitely better suited for the road courses than a 1/4 mile, but what other American made cars are faster in stock form? NONE!

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder what it would do in the 1/4 off a cliff because thats the only way i would get any amusement out of it!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My problem is that these ricers are making BIG BIG WT/HP and HP/IN**3

Let's see 600/122 = 4.9 hp/in**3, and 2000/600 = 3.3 lbs/HP

Formula 1 approx = 1300/850 = 1.5 lbs/HP

Stock Viper: 450/488 = .9 HP/in**3, 3400/450 = 7.6 lbs/HP

One would think 1.5 hp/in**3 would be easy NA which would be 732 HP, however, I don't think this is the case. 700+ NA is rarely achieved.

Is it a ECU programming problem?

One would think that the Mopar 340 drag racers know how to get big HP and so that would apply, in general, to the 488.

Further, the 488 has attributes of a SB and not a BB which suggests better efficiency. Especially having 10 cyl instead of 8 which is a big problem w/2 valve heads.

I still don't know why a 700 HP NA Viper is not common?

Sir Hiss dropped the V10.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, I attend many of the import events in this great country of ours mainly because I campaign one. And the neon that runs there blows the doors off this one, yet this one claims to be worlds fastest? And stock engine is a load of crap, rods/pistons/valves/crank/block work(sleeving), etc.... is not stock.

Street car? Please who are you kidding, take another look at that car. One race seat no interior or sound detoning material solid rear suspension, all sorts of tube work etc... Does not equal a street car by any means.

Vipers dont belong? Through on a BTR nitrous kit or an NX nitrous kit with a set of slicks, and a little exhaust work. And you will have 1 neon eating viper, which really is a street car.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what the sad part is? That Neon turbo kit costs just $3K but to get a Viper turboed it costs 3 Neons
frown.gif

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some questions:

How much, out the door, to someone who is not an insider with HRC to duplicate that car?

How many head gaskets have you been through? Be honest.

How many total miles has the car been driven, in its current iteration, with the hood closed and not a single wrench turned (except for an oil filter wrench). Be honest.

Final honesty check: How many mile warranty is offered for the first price question, and does it include all parts, labor and shipping to & from HRC?

Cool little car, but I gotta go with finicky - I have had many boosted cars at I'll bet I could break it in about 20 minutes driving it like I drive my Viper. I have the piston flambe from my S/C C4 to prove it, and that thing only runs 135 or so in the 1/4, not 139 (with about 1/3 the displacement).

FWIW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456