Wideband commander and VEC2 calibration

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people asked me to explain how to calibrate the VEC2 logging utility to read Wideband Commander's output. Here are the instructions:

1. Connect WBC's yellow "Acquisition Link Ouput" cable to one of the VEC2 analog input signal cable
2. Open the default log file: usually something like : VEC2_Log_.cbl
3. Place the following line between after tag "Log_sens_def18=" and just before the tag [end log_sens_def].

Log_Sens_Def19=WBC AFR Tab 17 10 10.26 10.5 10.75 11.01 11.25 11.5 11.74 12 12.26 12.5 12.75 13 13.25 13.5 13.74 14 14.26 14.5 14.75 15.01 15.25 15.5 15.74 16 16.26 16.5 16.75 17.01 17.25 17.5 17.74 WB AFR 2

4. Restart VEC2 and a new option should occure in the SENSOR drop down list on the configuration screen. Select this signal type on the Analog input where you have connected the yellow cable.

5. Now when logging the right AFR should be display on the VEC2 logging screen.

I hope it helps.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have questions put it into this thread so it will be available to everybody.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Schulman- while I do not have a WBC handy to check and see if it indeed works, it does appear from doing the above you forgot to post how to change/add the first set of log settings that will define what exactly the WBC shows in the log itself. For example, when the above is changed, the input still shows its definition that it was previously set at. If for instance, you take the RPM setting, and change it to WBC, it still shows RPM on both the logging screen, and the side bar. Also, instead of simply saying "WBC AFR" on the sensor selection bar, it actually shows Tab, and all the numbers for definition to follow.

Thanks for any input.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final.Are you BSing us that only know how to use the pedals and shifter?I don't even fool with the radio or clock.At least the clock is right for about 1/2 the year. GTS Bruce

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Final.Are you BSing us that only know how to use the pedals and shifter?I don't even fool with the radio or clock.At least the clock is right for about 1/2 the year. GTS Bruce

Bruce- You will understand when I smoke you on the way to QS&L this year :eek: :headbang: :eek:

I think even you can be cinvinced of the potential contained in modern tuning systems... we both may be dead by then, but yes, it is possible.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean modified my default log file to add the DynoJet WBC. It shows Dynojet A/F in the Log Settings selection box, but the actual log file still shows AN2 which is the input I hooked up to. Not sure that you can change that behavior.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sean modified my default log file to add the DynoJet WBC. It shows Dynojet A/F in the Log Settings selection box, but the actual log file still shows AN2 which is the input I hooked up to. Not sure that you can change that behavior.

Hi Ken,
Go to the Log settings screen and change the name field next to the analog sensor you're using to read a custom name.
If anyone wants to log an Innovate brand wideband into the VEC2 and display the AF ratio properly, let me know.

Regards,
Sean

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Ken,
Go to the Log settings screen and change the name field next to the analog sensor you're using to read a custom name.
If anyone wants to log an Innovate brand wideband into the VEC2 and display the AF ratio properly, let me know.

Regards,
Sean
Your right. It never occurred on me that those fields were editable. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

I just installed an XD-1 from Innovate.
Do you have the VEC2 calibration for this product ?

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the wideband commander guage fit in one of the factory guage positions above the A/C vents? If so, how does it look there? Anyone done this?

Rich

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sean,

I just installed an XD-1 from Innovate.
Do you have the VEC2 calibration for this product ?

If the XD-1 from Innovate is like the LM-1 with a programmable analog output, yes.
The LM-1 Programmer software allows you to specify an output voltage and corresponding air / fuel ratio on an analog output.
Set the output to read:
0v = 10 AFR
5v = 18 AFR
Input the Innovate signal into one of the available VEC2 analog inputs.
In the VEC2 log settings window, specify that input to display the Dynojet Wideband setting and you'll display the correct A/F ratio in the log.

Regards,
Sean

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the wideband commander guage fit in one of the factory guage positions above the A/C vents? If so, how does it look there? Anyone done this?

Rich

Its looks awesome! The guage is actually made by Autometer.
Third guage from the left.
6316115-1552_IMG-med.JPG

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms,

It looks great! Did you get rid of your fuel guage? its hard to see.

Thanks, the voltage guage and fuel guage were replaced with the wideband commander guage, and a fuel pressure guags. The two factory guages were relocated to my glove box with the wideband commander data log inside as well.
6316115-1554_IMG-med.JPG

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms,

Great idea! looks perfect...

Rich

Thanks Rich. I am really happy the way it turned out but I can't take credit for it. Larry and Scott at M2 came up with the idea.

Ian

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean/Schulman:

The XD is a serial in/out device. It is a serial path into and out of the LM1. The gauge itself can be programed thru a serial port on a computer.

What is nice about the XD is that you can permenantly mount the LM1 and use the button on the XD to turn on the logging function. You can also also use the out port to download the LM1 data. I put the XD into the oem voltage pod and brought the serial out under the dash, under the console and parked it between the the seat and console. After a logging session the DB9 connector is readily accessible to download the data.

If anyone has the Innovate system make sure you download the new Version 2, beta 4 software. Hands down this product is the leader in the under $1,000 a/f and logging systems. These values come from a built-in accelerometer.

Currently I have it set up to log the following parameters:
a/f
throttle postion
IAT
fuel pressure
rpm
acceleration (g's)
hp
torque

You can make a run, change VEC2 parameters, boost, or nitrous values and then compare run 1 with run 2. The program allows you to superimpose the runs on the same graph. The software will also allow you to populate a complete a/f map versus rpm and vacuum. The hp and torque values are right on with dyno values.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B,

I agree with you that the XD-1 is MUCH better.
When I bought the WBC it was not available.
Anyhow I just installed a brand new XD-1 on the other side of my Viper. Now I have two WB oxygen sensors on the car ...