Wiil this thing fry my battery?

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I read a thread about winter storage and somebody (I think it was bluesrt) said "Make sure you use a Battery Tender or you'll fry your battery." Then just a couple days ago I read where GK said the exact same thing to someone in a totally different thread.
Now I'm wondering if I need to get a "battery tender" or is thing safe to use. It has an auto on/off and only runs for several minutes, then shuts off. I currently have it on the 2amp setting just in case the charge drops over the winter.

Isn't this basically the same thing? :dunno:

You must be registered for see images attach

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically the same but at half the price of a "Battery Tender". Just stay away from the cheap Harbor Freight ones, those are junk, lost two batteries from those.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a different Schumacher. It has a smart charge that shuts down when fully charged and restarts automatically as needed. I would think that your charger has that feature but make sure as you don't want to keep charging a fully charged battery.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stay on the safe side and get the battery tender. Bought mine from SNAKE-OYL products. Have not had a dead battery yet. I think partsrack sells the same one as well.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I have been using for 2 years. I connect it every time I park the car. It has lights to let you know when it's charging and when it's fully charged. Yours also has the 75 amp fast charge but check your owner's manual to see if it has a smart charge mode.

You must be registered for see images attach

GViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone answer a question for me regarding battery tenders?
Isn't it much easier to just disconnect one terminal on the battery?
The only negative would be the deletion of radio settings.
IS this correct?

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR VP, I have that one also. Works fine and never a problem. Bought my first one on 1994 and still use it today.

No matter what kind you buy, make sure it is a floating type charger.

Just spend the $20 and get a Battery Tender JR and be done with it. And don't buy the Chinese one from HF. Is it worth catching your house or garage on fire to be cheap over a few $????

I have one on each of my 4 PWC, my Quad, 1 car, 1 truck...... well you get the idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...TK8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323126160&sr=8-1

GViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the negative as well. Never a problem, and the battery should last much longer

F

FrgMstr

As the Grail Keeper will tell you, just make sure that it shuts off once the battery is fully charged. Don't want it to stay on statically, should cycle at the top of the charge.

OP
OP
V

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you have is fine. It will provide the trickle charge with the automatic sensing and also do rapid charging. It got excellent reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE...1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1323126792&sr=1-11

Thanks v10, that's what I thought. For some reason, earlier in the thread it seems people thought this one was a cheap knock off... I think I paid like $65 or $70 at Advanced Auto.. then later it came out the battery tender brand is half that much. :dunno:
I didn't get it to save money, I got it because it had the auto on/off and the guys told me it wouldn't overcharge the battery. It was the only thing they had to sell me. That was back in April or May. Then, like I said in the op, I recently heard everyone saying battery tender is the way to go.:crazy2:

So, After digesting all this info everyone has given me, I think battery tender is a brand name everyone knows and the word is probably used like "asprin" is used to describe anything you take for a headache. So when GrailKeeper said "use a battery tender" he probably was including this as well since it does the same thing.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 2-amp automatic setting as shown by OP is a 'trickle' type of timed charger that is ALWAYS at 2 amps as set, or it shuts Off. It can heat up the battery. The "Fully Automatic" battery tender is a .1 amp up to 1.25 amp, 'fully automatic', and "floating floating" charge as well .....cannot bake your battery. I have 5 in use at all times.

I even use a 6-volt model on my 1949 Dodge!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery tender is the most popular and proven. The Schumacher is a good unit. Sears re-brands and sells them too. I also have a larger Black and Decker with features and capabilities similar to your Schumacher that I was using for the deep cycles on my bass boat and that's also a good unit.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From pages 7-8 of the Scumacher 1275a manual...

http://www.batterychargers.com/Documents/0099000931-01.pdf

Maintain Mode (Automatic Chargers Only)
When the FULL CHARGE (green) LED is lit, the charger has started Maintain Mode.
• 8 •
In this mode, the charger keeps the battery fully charged by delivering a small current, when necessary. If the battery voltage drops below a preset level, the charger will go back into charge mode until the battery voltage returns to the full charge level, at which point the charger will return to maintain mode. The voltage is maintained at a level determined by the BATTERY TYPE selected.
NOTE: An Automatic charger automatically switches between Charge Mode and Maintain Mode as necessary. The FULL CHARGE (green) LED will cycle on when the battery is at full charge and off when the voltage drops below a preset level and the charger goes into Charge Mode. This cycle will continue, and the FULL CHARGE (green) LED will stay on for longer periods of time as the battery becomes more fully charged.

OP
OP
V

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From pages 7-8 of the Scumacher 1275a manual...

http://www.batterychargers.com/Documents/0099000931-01.pdf

Maintain Mode (Automatic Chargers Only)
When the FULL CHARGE (green) LED is lit, the charger has started Maintain Mode.
• 8 •
In this mode, the charger keeps the battery fully charged by delivering a small current, when necessary. If the battery voltage drops below a preset level, the charger will go back into charge mode until the battery voltage returns to the full charge level, at which point the charger will return to maintain mode. The voltage is maintained at a level determined by the BATTERY TYPE selected.
NOTE: An Automatic charger automatically switches between Charge Mode and Maintain Mode as necessary. The FULL CHARGE (green) LED will cycle on when the battery is at full charge and off when the voltage drops below a preset level and the charger goes into Charge Mode. This cycle will continue, and the FULL CHARGE (green) LED will stay on for longer periods of time as the battery becomes more fully charged.

Wow, you're really good at finding stuff on the net! Sounds good to me and many thanks!
Now, JonB has me wondering ... is there really that big of difference between the 1.2amp battery tender and this 2.0amp?
I mean it really doesn't drop in charge that often does it? Wouldn't it only kick on for a couple minutes at 2.0amps and then shut right off?
That could cook it? Just when I think I've got it figured I get confused again.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Batter Tender, 5 years now. Always plugged in from November thru March. No issues or worries.

BatteryTender.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456