durango for a long haul such as 300 or more miles. I figure
the max weight would be about 7000lbs which is about 500lbs
under the limit. I still dont know about ride quality and if the
durango can do it without a struggle.

ryan

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my brotherinlaw has a durango 2001, pulled a trailer with my snake on it all the way to myrtle beach no problem, and the roads of WV are a ****** so you should be fine.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way. Its not enough truck!Figure the real world towing capacity to be no more than 80% of maximum.Maximum is for short distances with no hills involved.What you need is at least a 3/4 ton or better yet a 3/4 HD or 1 ton.You need a real truck not the Durango your wife likes to drive.Don't like my answer?Then ask the question on one of the various Dodge truck or any truck forum.Not on a sports car forum. Bruce

Reaction score
Depends on the trailer you plan to use. I use a open Featherlite, with a wind screen, and pull it with a couple of Jeeps(98 5.9 & 2002 4.7HO) . No problems at all.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Fred, absolutely no problem with open trailer, get into enclosed trailers and depending on your choice the weight goes up dramatically. The Durango needs to be set up right with heavy duty trailer tow package. Also helps if it's an RT with 3.99 gear and the real big tire wheel package and full time 4wd. I believe the rating is 7300lbs with that package. I've got one set up like that and it does fine with an open trailer, also yanked a 9500 lb Scarab a short distance in an emergency with no apparent strain. Actually felt better than my old Expedition with the same boat.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, do that. 2001 Durango, 5.9, towing package, 20' enclosed trailer (steel frame), 1000 lb weight distributing hitch, anti sway, electric traler brakes. I haul my 2000 GTS.

GTSBruce, Have you done it? Not sure I would count on the truck forum. Chances are more of us on a sports car forum have pulled our Viper with a Durango than the guys on the truck forum pulling a Viper with their Durango.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES !!! Don't make the same mistake I almost did and look into getting a bigger truck. I have a '99 Dodge Dakota with the 5.2 engine with near 100,000 miles on it, V-8 and I recently bought a trailer and pull my Viper. I plan to pull it to VOI7. I've already done 300 mile trips...no problem at all. You will need a weight distributing hitch, and putting in an extra leaf in the rear springs....for about $250 is worth it.

The trailer will have electronic brakes and that solves that problem. Go for it. Go and speak to someone in the business who knows!!

Andrew

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an 01' 360 ci Durango (2WD) with a Sloan's Kwik Loader (1900lbs.) trailer and it'll pull a Viper or Vette with NO PROBLEMS! My total towed weight was around 7K.

Cool, Right?

But, before you think you're in the clear, know that stopping that rig was the hard part. The brakes **** and the weight of the truck is easily overwhelmed by the trailer. Weaving, wobbling, no stopping down hills, etc. I towed my 96 to St. Louis with no problem, but towing it back nearly killed me. Literally.

Unless you're going for short, flat trips; I'd go for something bigger.

Regards, T

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it from someone who knows , I towed 18k last year , any truck will pull the trailer & car, its stopping that & directional stability that counts. Wheelbase, track & tow vehical weight are key issues. Relying on trailer brakes to stop your load is wishfull & foolish thinking. When that housewife in the SUV in front of you bends over to pick up her big mac & then looks up to see traffic stopped & you have to lock your rig down,the weight instantly transfers to the tow vehical.your trailer barakes are locked up if you are lucky & the brunt of the stopping is done by the truck. If its wet this is only amplified. I tow with a 93 ford lightning that is tow rated for 8500 lbs. I tow a 24 ft gold rush aluminum trailer that weighs 6500 with my race car & all the spares. I have 4 wheel trailer brakes, weight dist hitch,& HD suspension w HD shocks, springs HD tranny & cooler & performance friction brakes & rotors With monster V rated 275x17 Toyo's. And this is still a handfull in the wet.By the way I have over 60K tow miles on this set up. Buy a real truck or a suburban/GMC if you plan on long hauls, or the durango will be fine for local stuff.But beware the long hauls.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Durango WILL NOT safely tow a Viper in an ENCLOSED trailer. You are trying to pull an aerodymanic BARN down the road. It probably works OK with an open trailer, but that's lighter and easier to pull.

I agree with GTS Bruce. You should only safely tow about 80% of the capacity. Besides everything you tow is going to weigh more than you think it is....

Brakes and towing stability are more important than HP for getting things going.

The Durango is NOT a tow vehicle.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just don't use a '99 or newer JEEP Grand LTD.
The drive train noise will drive you nuts till it spills out onto the freeway, no more noise. Ahhh!
I had one, what a piece of sh*t.
I almost sold my Viper I was soooo pissed at Dodge.
True story,
TJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX