Window Problem - HELP

Vip23er

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my 2003 SRT-10, when I roll the drivers window down, once it reaches the bottom, I hear a popping noise. It sounds like a bar snapping. It also happens when the window reaches the top of rolling up. It does not happen every time I use the window, but about 25% of the time. It is a loud snapping. Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be?

V

Venomiss

In my 2003 SRT-10, when I roll the drivers window down, once it reaches the bottom, I hear a popping noise. It sounds like a bar snapping. It also happens when the window reaches the top of rolling up. It does not happen every time I use the window, but about 25% of the time. It is a loud snapping. Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be?

Rice Krispies?:D No, that's not it but someone here will have an idea.

Reaction score
The regulator in the door may be getting caught on the window frame. I would have the panel taken off and checked before you ruin a $850 regulator!

Good luck and if you have any questions or want to try this on your own I can probably have one of my Techs walk you through it if possible.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have the same thing on my 08, waiting for a new regulator or some surrounding part. Dealer said not to worry use the window as normal.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is why everyone should purchase an extended warranty with this car !

OP
OP
V

Vip23er

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. I will check the window regulator and see if that is the problem. Unfortunately, it is out of warranty.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Huge Viper Tax on that regulator ~ $1200 list. When you take apart the door, be very careful as the top of the door panel is held in place by fairly strong push in spring clips and the top black plastic trim is very flimsy and will split/crack. Replacing the regulator is fairly straight forward. Good Luck!

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the top black plastic trim is very flimsy and will split/crack.
I took my car in a few weeks ago to have mine replaced, only it would make a popping sound when the window was rolled all the way up. The dealer fixed the regulator and no more popping sound. Fast forward to about a week ago. I sometimes leave my windows down while parked in the garage and while walking by the car I noticed the piece of flat plastic trim on top of the door was bowed up about 1/2 inch. I looked at the piece from the side and it looks as thought someone broke the trim piece and tried to use some sort of clear adhesive to hold it down to the door. Freaking jacklegs! I was upset but got over it. I just will not take my car back there again.

OP
OP
V

Vip23er

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was lucky and a dealer buddy was able to get it for me for $580. Doesnt seem to bad for some of the prices I have heard. Thanks for the heads-up on how flimsy the door panel can be. We will be extra careful!

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed I heard a clunk at the bottom of the window travel when I roll down my window. I'm not sure if it's the same thing described here, but I'll listen more closely tomorrow. Also a 2003 model.

- Anthony

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Over the past few days, my driver's side window started making a noise when closing the door. After it happened a few times, I inspected the window & saw red paint on the top of the glass. I then inspected the point where the window met the roof & to my astonishment the paint has actually cracked in a few places!

I brought the car to the dealership yesterday. Told them about the problem & they called me in the afternoon to report that they're replacing the window regulator & that they also broke the glass by accident. So.. new glass & new regulator tomorrow. Then I have to head by the tint shop to get it re-tinted. When I asked about the paint chips in the roof, he mentioned that I could have the entire roof repainted but that it would break the factory paint warranty or something. I asked him about options for touching up, etc. Didn't seem too receptive, so I may have to figure things out on my own. Not happy.

Additionally, I've noticed that anytime I keep my car out in the sun for several hours & then go for a drive, there's an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from under the front dash, right near the windshield. I can tap the dash with my hand & hear a rattle underneath. The rattle seems to go away once the inside of the cabin cools down, which leads me to think it may be a glue/adhesive-related issue with a part, but I'm unsure. The dealership is also aware of this. Supposed to pick up the car tomorrow.

- Matt

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I took my car in a few weeks ago to have mine replaced, only it would make a popping sound when the window was rolled all the way up. The dealer fixed the regulator and no more popping sound. Fast forward to about a week ago. I sometimes leave my windows down while parked in the garage and while walking by the car I noticed the piece of flat plastic trim on top of the door was bowed up about 1/2 inch. I looked at the piece from the side and it looks as thought someone broke the trim piece and tried to use some sort of clear adhesive to hold it down to the door. Freaking jacklegs! I was upset but got over it. I just will not take my car back there again.

The top plastic trim/molding really is a crappy design. Even now that I know about the clips and how that door trim is attached, I'm not sure that I could remove it without cracking that piece. I had to glue mine back together as well as they do not sell that trim piece alone.