1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window Regulator -GEN 3/4 Archilles Heel

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by Art 138, Nov 15, 2011.

1. chorps

chorps Enthusiast

Sorry...never sure when to post non sponsored vendor links so I just left enough to google search it.

2. Garron

Garron Viper Owner

Only thing you would have to watch is the Body computer looks very closely at the viper window regulator motor (motor commutator pulses) for timing and window drop. The motor would have to be similar. Not sure if Prowler uses smart glass.

3. ROCKET62

ROCKET62 Has Left the Room!

Dan,

Just sent you an email.

ROCKET

4. VIPER PIT

VIPER PIT Viper Owner

A guy in the prowler club has made a complete aftermarket metal regulator system for the prowlers. Bye bye plastic $!$$$. We now got a solution for our brethren Mabey we can get that going on with the viper regulators.

5. jpa99acr

jpa99acr Enthusiast

Just had to replace the drivers side in mine. Window would go down halfway and get stuck. Pitiful that such an expensive car has such cheaply made regulators, with high price tags.

6. viper_itch

viper_itch Enthusiast

Is it too wishful to think the Gen 5 has a better on and that it is compatible with the gen 3/4?

7. Steve M

Steve M Viper Owner

Already asked the question, and was told the Gen V regulator would not be compatible with the Gen III/IV cars. :(

8. tmills

tmills Enthusiast

I just heard about your window regulator problems from a Viper owner. It sounds like the same problems we were having with the Prowlers. He saw that I am doing replacement regulator kits for the Prowler and asked me if I would consider doing them for the Viper. I have designed a unit to replace the plastic tubing that always breaks. I have over 300 of them in service and everyone is thrilled with them. I have received many comments, “they work better than the original regulators”.
    I am currently looking into the Viper situation; it looks very promising to me so far. I am meeting with a Viper owner next Friday and I am hoping to confirm my idea that it is doable. If it is I will be looking for a door assembly or possibly a Viper with a broken regulator that I can engineer a regulator kit for. I will also need a couple of broken regulator assemblies to work with. I will let you know what I find out.
    Tom MIlls

9. SRT09

SRT09 Viper Owner

In for the fix :)

10. DeceptioN

DeceptioN Viper Owner

Where are you located? I'm in Nor Cal with a broken regulator...

11. latamud

latamud Viper Owner

Tom, I was working on this but I'm in Afghanistan right now. I have a spare driver and passenger door, and 1 broken regulator. Maybe I can help out.

12. Brian E

Brian E Viper Owner

Tom.
    Ray and I look forward to meeting with you on Friday. As you have read, there is a lot of frustration with these regulartors. If you can provide a viable repair/rebuild, you will make a lot of people very happy.

13. TexasTorred

TexasTorred Enthusiast

+1000!..........

14. Garron

Garron Viper Owner

Keep in mind you will need the same window motor gear to window motor regulator ratio or your window drop will be to much or little. Good luck guys...

15. cubican

cubican Viper Owner

Keep us posted, we all will need one at some point.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  16. Nine Ball

Nine Ball Enthusiast

I will buy a kit for both of my doors, if someone comes out with one. Even though just one side is acting wonky at the moment. Rather fix them both and be done with it.

17. tmills

tmills Enthusiast

I bought a door assembly today and I have started working on it. I have it disassembled and I have started to build a "proto type".
    I should know if my idea will work sometime next week.
    Tom Mills

18. cubican

cubican Viper Owner

Thank you, there are many of us waiting for the results.....

19. Viktimize

Viktimize Viper Owner

Put me in the pre-order pile if you come up with something. Driver side is on the way out, and I don't imagine passenger will have much longer left either.

20. 351carlo

351carlo Viper Owner

My passenger side is on its way out. Would certainly buy the kit if it were available.

21. 3whitevipers

3whitevipers VC Venom Member - Midsouth VCA Member

Amazing that this gentleman has already done this for the Prowler, and is willing to look at the Viper situation, all the while our "friends" at SRT just ignore the issue. If this man can devise a fix, why haven't Ralph and the boys?--- Just a thought--Dave

22. Steve M

Steve M Viper Owner

Out of sight, out of mind would be my guess...why waste time and resources to fix a problem for a car that's been out of production since 2010? Not a great answer for us, but I have a feeling that's why the issue is ignored.

23. cubican

cubican Viper Owner

No need to cry over spill milk, Im just glad Mr Mills is working on a fix for us.

24. TrackAire

TrackAire Viper Owner

Very similary situation my friends are dealing with regards to the Ford GT and its instrument gauges. Speedos are over $1500.00, plus installation. The gauges just die (not 100% sure why) but many have replaced two and three speedo's, fuel, voltage, etc. Very frustrating and now a company called Speed Hut has stepped up with replacement versions that seem to work well. Ford hasn't fixed the situation either, even though this is considered to be their grand daddy of all halo cars. It's this kind of stuff that makes brand loyalty fly out the window.

Cheers,
    George

25. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Viper Owner

Hmm, a few weeks ago my passenger side window started clunking when it's nearly all the way up or nearly all the way down, as if the mechanism is slipping. Is my issue related to this or something else?

The previous owner transferred an extended factory warranty to me good through the end of 2013 thankfully so I'm not too worried about it and I'll have them take a look when it's in for an oil change on Monday, but I'd still like to know what's up. Might try to remove the door panel later today if I can figure out how...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  26. wikkid

wikkid Viper Owner

Just a warnimg here, a owner cannot extend the warranty to you. This must run through a dealer and cost about 250 bucks. If he did that for you , its great. Some people dont realize that the warranty can only be extended in your name when the title is transferred. I found this out luckily with my last Viper purchase which did have the warranty.

27. swexlin

swexlin Viper Owner

Same with my Grand Marquis. Electronic odometer becomes unreadable, then dies, common issue on the Panther-platform cars. Ford wants $100 JUST to pull the cluster, to get at the chip to certify mileage, THEN the WHOLE cluster must be replace...$500+. I have to have it done sooner or later, because I couldn't trade or sell the car, (nor get it PA inspected) without a readable mileage.

As for my windo regulators, they are iffy on both sides. Interestingly, when I had my driver's door latched replaced this week, my mechanic told me that part of the cable mechanism for the latch had slipped as well. Is this also tied into the window regulator issues?

28. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Viper Owner

It was only $50 I believe but yes I went through Chrysler and my dealer to have the extended warranty transferred to my name.

29. Smog Dog

Smog Dog Viper Owner

The clunking is related....at least by my experience. I had the left hand regulator replaced on one of my 08's at 106 miles and the same side on my other 08 at around 55,000 miles. Both under warranty. And I don't think I would pull the door panel if I were you. Take it to your dealer and get it done under your extended warranty. Just my opinion....

Bill

30. tmills

tmills Enthusiast

Update.
    I have the "prototype" well on the way. It is a gear and lever design just like the one I did for the prowler that will do away with the poor OEM design with the plastic tubing that continues to fail. I have it mounted in the same mounting holes that the original motor was mounted in and the glass goes up and down just fine. I have details to work out but at this time it looks very promising. I will keep you updated on the progress. Do we have a Viper in the South Bend area that has a broken regulator? When I get the details worked out to my satisfaction I will need to install it in a car so that I can make final adjustments on the regulator and installation instructions.
    Tom

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012