Windshield replacement

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is about time to replace the windshield in my '98 GTS, it has reached the point now where I can barely see out of facing into low sunlight, it is so sandblasted. So..

Who's had it done?
Problems getting a Gen 2 windshield?
By whom? How long it take?
Approximate price to do the job?
Best to have it done at MY home? (Keep an eye on them)
Any problems reinstalling stickers, radio anything?

Thanks!

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine done last summer.
No problem getting a w/s, it did take about a week or so to get it into the shop from Detroit. There is only one source, Mopar.
Had it done by a local chain type glass store. Had experience with other exotics. I took the wipers and cowl off prior to taking it in.
Took about an hour, then it sat in the sun to set the urathane. I kept an eye on it the whole time.
Cost me $50 as I had glass coverage and took a stone the size of a golf ball while on a Viper weekend. They told me the screen was $520 or so retail, including the "kit" (weather strip and sealant)
If you can get them to come to you, all the better.
Didn't have any stickers, radio antenae was not a prob. The date stamp on the w/s now says 07 instead of 97, that's the only visible evidence that it's been changed.

Here's a before:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my done last fall as well. Also had the glass coverage, but total would have been $595, parts and labor. Elite autoglass did the work at their shop as the come to your home guy wasn't comfortable doing a Viper.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no idea that getting a new windshield including install would be that reasonable. Maybe it was just me, but I always thought it would be at least $1000.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine's pretty pitted for only having 13,000 miles on it. Why are the windshields so soft? Or is that not the problem>>

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine's pretty pitted for only having 13,000 miles on it. Why are the windshields so soft? Or is that not the problem>>

I have 45K on the Viper and it is pretty bad in direct sunlight but my S2K looks like it might be on the way to looking like that. It has 20K and you can start to see the damage. Maybe it is just the way I drive? I have no idea but it stinks.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 25K mile '01 GTS has rock chips on the roof and rear deck lid. Imagine what the windshield must go through.

Great post though. Good to know it's affordable.

In my RT, I have quite a few on the front of the hardtop (where it meets the Windshield) but how did you get chips on the roof and tail end. That is a record of some sort.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that you have a clear bra type film on your windsheild? How does that work? The windshield wipers do not cause any problems?

LOL. You actually use your wipers? What are vipers? Are they optional on a Viper? :D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clear bra on fascia only...

maybe the person meant i didnt get one single scratch on the car in over 13 months. (from being busted...lol)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clear bra on fascia only...

maybe the person meant i didnt get one single scratch on the car in over 13 months. (from being busted...lol)

Oh I am sorry for the confusion. Someone had mentioned that they thought you had the clear bra on the windshield in another thread. The hunt continues....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Winter, Spring and Desert are what cause most windshield damage. Rocks and sand hitting the windshield smash out little, or big, craters.

The problem isn't that glass is 'soft', it's extremely hard - and that makes it brittle. I don't drive my Viper until the roads have been swept, but my poor Stealth is ready for paint after only 1 1/2 years. Of course BC has changed from sand to 3/4" gravel for "sanding" the icy roads. Not until the year after Gov. insurance changed the glass deductible from $50 to $200 though.

Ted

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine