Winter Hibernation - Does EVERYONE do it?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I average around 2,000 miles/yr but I still drive it at least once every month. Never, ever in the rain, snow, sleet or hail. I would not make a good mailman.

I get a laugh from some owners who chastise those of us who don't drive our cars into the ground but some of them are the same ones who park it 4-5 months over the winter.

I consider it a little good natured ribbing.;) I gotta say though.......2,000 miles ain't much time in the fun seat. We just put 1,300 miles on the last 8 days on 2 fall rides! I thought 10 to 15K miles a year on a car was considered average mileage. I don't why the Viper is considered differently? :drive:

Steve

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I average around 2,000 miles/yr but I still drive it at least once every month. Never, ever in the rain, snow, sleet or hail. I would not make a good mailman.

I get a laugh from some owners who chastise those of us who don't drive our cars into the ground but some of them are the same ones who park it 4-5 months over the winter.

I get a laugh at all those who have to hibernate and who won't drive in the rain, etc. :lmao:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bougt and drove my 98 GTS home from Illinois I was chased away from the East by a Blizzard that was dropping 11" of snow less than a day behind me. I was OK because the Viper kept ahead of the Blizzard. Once I got home to BC the 4" of fresh snow had me losing control on hwy 20 twice and I got stuck in my driveway. No such thing as Viper snow tires and once the temp hits 32F the Michelins have NO TRACTION on a sc'd Viper. I'll be parking mine until May next month.

Texas had "Ice storms" last winter and floods all summer, right?

However, in an emergency you could tie some soft rope around your back tires if you get stuck and can't move in the snow. That's how I managed to get my Viper from the driveway into the garage last winter.

Ted

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Global warming = drive all year. Here in the NYC metro area, we get about 3 storms and a few days later, it's back to cold and sunny and the roads are clear. So I don't winterize any more. I drive it all year round.

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep...roads clear = driving time. I'm picky about what 'roads clear' means, as I won't drive the car if there is sand and salt on the road, otherwise, I'll drive it.

At least you never have to worry about being cold in your Viper. :D

I agree, :2tu: I try to get it out all year long.

That said it ****** me off when they dump a ton of salt when we have a snow flurry or the roads are damp and it goes below freezing in the middle of the night. Then I have to wait for a good rain to clean the roads again.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Global warming = drive all year. Here in the NYC metro area, we get about 3 storms and a few days later, it's back to cold and sunny and the roads are clear. So I don't winterize any more. I drive it all year round.

You are lucky! Here in Albany, we have ice/snow/freezing rain...but I'm from the snowbelt up past Syracuse towards Oswego, snow galore. Wish we COULD drive our Viper more often, but unfortunately, you KNOW how trying to go down a graded driveway on ice would be in a Viper :omg: :D ! Rain doesn't affect us, but yes, once they salt, the car is garaged...a nice rainy day in winter that washes away the salt, and we're out there!:drive: ~juli

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2062snow.jpg

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Global Warming? Last year we had the same snows as 10 years ago. The temperature has dropped about 10F throughout the year and it constantly rains nowadays. Last summer the west coast had only 2 sunny weekends in Vancouver! Not so bad here at 3600' of altitude.

Ted

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so those of us with no choice but to store it, what do you suggest as far as how often it should be started, and should only starting it say for 5 or 10 minutes, than turning it off be enough. I wont be able to drive my ride for many months, and is being garaged right now. Also is a car cover good enough? Dang its only been 2 weeks and I already miss driving it.

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score

OK, that's enough to discourage me from driving the Viper up to Tahoe for some winter snowboarding... not that I needed more reasons :) Luckily I doubt my board will fit... although I was REALLY surprised that my golf clubs all fit under the hatch back no problems :2tu:

Although I have to say that pic looks just a little "not real" is it photoshopped or a scale model? :)

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What *** BLK said. I think winter is an excuse for the garage queens...If the snow has been plowed off the road or isn't fallening from the sky I'll be driving mine.

Yeah, I was trying to get the RT out to take it down to the shop and mount up the studded snow tires but I ended up storing it instead. TOO much work!!!:2tu:
06Decsnow.JPG

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1:18 :D

I put the car in a PermaBag with so called dry cylinders inside for sucking up the moisture.

Battery tender hooked up - as always.

You might raise the pressure in the tires a little bit.

Fill up the gas tank.

Give the leather an extra coating of "Swizzöl" or similar stuff

Wait for 5-6 months.

2 different Vipers have been treated this way and never had a problem. They start immediately after 5 to 6 months of hibernation.

Checking and changing fluids in spring is a must.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you light some candles and say a few words for good measure? :dunno:
:eater:

No, I think it goes into a coffin? (Oct. 31st) We wait until snow/ice/freezing rain/salt/slurry (KILLER STUFF ON VEHICLES) flies...garage it, put a bit more air in the tires, start her up every now and then...and wait for a good rain to wash away salt/slurry, and then take 'er out...doesn't happen often, but we anxiously await those days...winter is wayyyy too long. ~juli

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I think it goes into a coffin? (Oct. 31st) We wait until snow/ice/freezing rain/salt/slurry (KILLER STUFF ON VEHICLES) flies...garage it, put a bit more air in the tires, start her up every now and then...and wait for a good rain to wash away salt/slurry, and then take 'er out...doesn't happen often, but we anxiously await those days...winter is wayyyy too long. ~juli

Sorry. No winter like that here. Really hot summers though...

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry. No winter like that here. Really hot summers though...

Yeah, Mike has been to Texas...Army. Wouldn't mind being there...able to take out the BEAST all-year-round?!! HEAVEN....juli
(HOT?? Yeah, and a BLACK Vert? A/C all the way!!)

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
As many have said as long as there is no salt or snow were good to go ! All winter every sunday there is a muscle car meet at one of our local beaches, it is a great escape untill the top comes off again !!!

:2tu:

V

Venomiss

OK. Did anyone really read the heading on this thread? I am a bad person....

and as far as hibernation for our Viper...depends on the weather and street conditions.
This is Kansas so we just wait an hour for the weather to change.:drive:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas = drive year round.

Where the heck is that??? Texas??? draw me a map and see I'll if I can find it. Isn't that one of those little states down in the lower 48 some where?? Sounds like good driv'n weather, though. Is it big enough to get it over 50??:headbang: just jealous Dave

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you have to store it, like many of us in Michigan, here is our tip sheet. This is for the Gen I & II vipers mainly but works for Gen III too.

1. Store vehicle with a full tank of gas. Note: Beware of gas stabilizers most have lead additives, so dont use.
2. Check and adjust air pressure on tires (fill to Max. Pressure).
3. Wash and wax vehicle prior to storage. Note: Baking Soda with a damp soft cloth removes bugs without having to use harsh cleaners. You should remove tires and clean rims front and the back side of grease and brake dust at least once a year. Having the vehicle stored over winter with clean rims is an aid in preventing them from corrosion or discoloring. Waxing the rims is a good idea to aid in dust removal in the future.
(Make sure vehicle is totally dry before covering and/or storing)
4. Change engine oil and filter. Warm engine before storing. Always store vehicle with fresh oil.
5. Prop-up windshield wipers up. Note: use foam or balsa wood blocks.
6. Place a sheet of 4mil plastic under the vehicle. Stops moisture from collecting on the bottom side of the vehicle from garage cement floors.
7. Rest vehicle on wood pads (1”x10”x4”) or place on jack stands. If using jack stands, support suspension on control arms with jacks so suspension is not dangling but support like if the car was on the ground.
8. Check and adjust antifreeze level and freeze point. Never remove the radiator cap unless the engine is completely cold!!! See service manual for details. All 1992-2004 vehicles should have had the anti-freeze changed by now, and 1992-2001 at least for the second time.
9. Optional - Fog engine. See handout or service manual for instructions. This should be done only if the vehicle will not be started for over 6 months or will be stored in a high moisture area (garage in use). Even in Michigan, this is normally not necessary.
10. Do not start the engine and idle during the winter unless you run the engine for at least 20 minutes to remove all moisture from exhaust and oil.
11. Do not use the parking brake during storage. A block of wood works just fine.
12. During the winter roll the vehicle back and forth or turn the rear wheels if on jack stands so the rear axle doesn’t rest in the same location. See service manual.
13. Battery maintenance during storage. Its normally best to remove the battery and store on a block of wood . Trickle charge as required. The battery can also be charged in the vehicle, but may require more frequent charging due to the Alarm draw on the system. A long term battery charger can be utilized, hook it up and you’re done till spring. (Battery Tender Style). Now is a good time to look at the battery tray and rear facial area for signs of battery corrosion from overcharging conditions or battery acid spills. Clean with baking soda, sand to bare metal and prime and repaint any metal corrosion damage.
14. If you store the vehicle with the top on, consider not latching the top down (both front and back locks) . Life of the seals will be increased and also ensure proper sealing in the spring. Note: With top on, the roll bar pad will be indented and may not come back to normal form after winter storage.
15. Remove items from trunk that may freeze over the winter. i.e. Waxes, cleaners etc.,
16. Remove Floor Mats – The rubber backed ones will trap moisture under them and cause possible rust corrosion on the floor boards.

Fluid changes:
Our vehicles are getting older, and therefore fluid changes are recommended and required. You should have the following fluids changed on any 1992-2001 viper.
* Anti-freeze (through 2004)
* Rear axle lubricant (based on mileage, but time is also a concern)
* Transmission fluid - go to the new synethic Mopar version, reduces gear rattle and its better for durability
* Brake fluid (recommend the new dot 4) – This should be done every 2 years with a Viper.
* Engine oil and filter (recommend synthetic Mobil 1)

You may consider the following other fluids depending on your driving (read abuse - road racing, drag strip etc.,) Or mileage.
* Power steering fluid - should add a cooler if road racing on pre-1997 roadsters.
* Transmission fluid - all 1996 and newer will fix neutral gear rattle use new Chrysler approved fluids.

D

dano

Drive it year round. Staring at it in the garage gets old.

I don't drive it if there is snow (or forecasted snow) or if it is bitterly cold...the PS tires don't grip too well in freezing temps...

Dan in Denver

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
East Coast thing????

I drive mine anytime there is no salt on the road.
That means in 20 degree weather and mine is a GEN 1, RT/10.... (with a hardtop:D )
So far in last 7 years I have never taken the car off insurance, you never know when the sun is gonna shine in January!!!:drive:

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...3 of mine have been put away all year for numerous reasons, and the last one was put up today.....all are in Car Capsules (plastic bubbles) with battery tenders installed....they are all waxed and ready for springtime....hopefully, next year won't be so busy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper