Won't pass calif. smog, now what???

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it was time to smog the Viper, I took it to the Ontario Dodge dealer and it stayed there for three days. They said it almost passes. OK so what parts are on the car, is their next question. I have 2002 GTS, 17k miles, K&N air filters, Corsa Exhaust, Ramdom Tech SHF catalytic Converters installed 6months ago and AB plug wires. So I guess the question is: Any sugestions on how to get the car to run leaner.

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, thanks dave, you always seem to have the right answer, thanks.

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any good stock cats for sale????

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of test do they do? A roller driving simulation? Is the car throwing any codes? What specifically is failing?

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't put the stock cats back on. I'd take the car somewhere else first, hopefully this dealer hasn't charged you too much already. There are many cars with the same mods that you have and have passed emissions testing.

Since yours is an 02 they should be doing an OBD II test, find out if this is the case and if they aren't why not. Once you know that report back here. If it is OBD II and your check engine light is functional and not lighted and there are no trouble codes stored on the PCM then you should be good.

Start asking questions about the test and like I said I'd take the car somewhere else.

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is acopy of what they wrote. I hope it transmitts:

SECTION
OPCODE TECH TYPE LIST NETA CUSTOMER REQUI:ST SMOGIN$PECTION AND CERTIFICATE
30-111 CAR FAILED SMOG. RECOMMENDED STARTING WITH CATALYTIC CONVETERS.​
720 CPJ </SPAN>hrs. 95.00PARTS: </SPAN>0.00 </SPAN>lABOR: </SPAN>95.00 </SPAN>OTHER: </SPAN>0.00 </SPAN>TOTAL LINE A:
"" 17552 REO. 1.5 FAIL SMOG, HIGH HC AT 25MPH. PRECONDITION VEHICLE</SPAN>
""AND RETEST RUNNING VEHICLE IN 3RD GEAR AT 25MPH. FOUND HC WITHIN LIMITS ""BUT CO WAS HIGH. PRECONDITION 20 MILES PER CUSTOMER REQUEST. STILL ""READS HIGH HC AT 25 MPH SCAN SYSTEM WITH ORB III, FOUND BOTH UPSTREAM ",,02 SENSORS SWITCHING FROM .12V TO .94V 2-3 CROSS COUNTS PER SECOND. ""DOWNSTREAM 02 SENSORS SWITCHING VERY SLOWLY, RARELY REACHING OVER 0.5V ""INDICATING CATS AREWORKING AT LEAST TO THE BEST OF THERE ABILITY.
""FOUND BARO AT 29", LONG TERM ADAPTIVES AT -8% TO -11 %. FOUND ENGINE ""VACUUM LOW AT IDLE; 12". DOES NOT RISE UNTIL ENGINE SPEED REACHES ""APROXIMATELY 2,000 RPM. PERFORM MANUAL TEST, IDLE HC'S OVER 150PPM BUT ""DROP TO BELOW 30E'PM AT ENGINE SPEEDS OVER 2,200 RPM.​

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
like I said, you always seem to have the right answer, thankyou for the offer. I will try to pm you. thanks again.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It almost looks like passing or failing is at the discretion of the tester. It might be worth putting in a bottle of that "guaranteed to pass" stuff. Isn't another rule of thumb, make sure you go drive the car hard for 30 minutes then test?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put your stock cats back on. If that doesn't work, you need to visit DC Performance.

As you don't have original cats follow this guys advice, call Dan Cragin at DC Performance and describe your situation. Dan has a known history here of having a high level of knowledge and competence on these matters. Tell him the guys on the internet board sent you to him. I suspect you will probably wind up taking the car there. You should not need to put the cats back on. I think you may be dealing with indifference or even incompetence at the dealer you now using.

Here is a link for contact information.
DC Performance: Proven Performance

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
9 times out of 10 in an ASM 25 test like the one described above these issues are because the car hasn't been properly warmed up. It should be driven hard for 15-30 minutes in a lower gear to get everything warmed really well. It usually takes this long for the cats to warm enough to begin catalyst reaction.

As others and I have stated take your car somewhere else and your results should improve.

HISSSN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a repair shop and we do smog checks in California, you can try the the additive in the gas tank, looks like every thing is working I would need to see your failed report I'm guessing it did not fail by much. If you have old gas in the tank the additive guaranteed to pass has worked for me, read the directions on back. you can fax me your failed report 661-254-2803. DC is a shop that can help, but I do not think you took your VIPER to the right place for a smog. Eddie

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not borrow a club member's Mopar Perf PCM for the 30 minutes it'll take you to do the OBDII? Its a 3 1/2 minute job switching PCMs in and out and I believe the Mopar Performance PCM will shake hands properly with the states OBDII computer...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because the vehicle's VIN is flashed into the PCM. If you swap them, there will be a mismatch between the stamped VIN plate and the flashed VIN. They will kick you out and possibly notify the law.

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have a Mopar PCM and although it does not set the CE light with no cats, it also did not display the proper I/M flags so that caused it to fail smog. I borrowed another PCM and it passed with it, no VIN modification. That's my experience. Good luck.

Alex

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '97 GTS is configured exactly like the OP and it passes everytime, I compared the Smog Check numbers before and after installing the cats and Corsa and the only difference was a significant rise in the NO reading, but still within limits.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because the vehicle's VIN is flashed into the PCM. If you swap them, there will be a mismatch between the stamped VIN plate and the flashed VIN. They will kick you out and possibly notify the law.

It may be a state-by-state thing. I can tell you it does work in some states. Maybe someone in the CA VCA who has experience with CA OBD protocols can weigh in. It really is straightforward in states that don't do the "VIN compare".

Also, if you change PCM's - even from the one built with the car to an equivalent - why wouldn't the VIN check problem boot you? Folks have changed the PCM for a variety of reasons and I've not heard of any non-matching-numbers PCM's causing this problem at inspection time.

Not saying it isn't possible, just that I've never heard about it. Just tryin' to help...

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think if I lived in CA, I'd have a PO box in a state/county that doesn't require emissions.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be a state-by-state thing. I can tell you it does work in some states. Maybe someone in the CA VCA who has experience with CA OBD protocols can weigh in. It really is straightforward in states that don't do the "VIN compare".

Also, if you change PCM's - even from the one built with the car to an equivalent - why wouldn't the VIN check problem boot you? Folks have changed the PCM for a variety of reasons and I've not heard of any non-matching-numbers PCM's causing this problem at inspection time.

Not saying it isn't possible, just that I've never heard about it. Just tryin' to help...

Nail, meet head! :2tu:

"hey, my original PCM got fried in last weeks storm, had to get a new one from Dodge." :D :D :D

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked DEQ about changing PCMs here in Oregon where they do an ODBII test because I am running a '96 from Roe in place of my '01 PCM.

They said that as long as the PCM had enough drive time on it to have had a chance go through all the ODBII tests so that there were no pending tests and there were no trouble codes pending, they would pass it without any problems.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search online about Montana LLC's and the people that set them up.

Sell the car to the LLC, have the attorney register the car in Montana (for which you'll pay no sales tax) and get the plates. To get Montana plates the car never even has to be there or get inspected. Plates get mailed to you, and you never get smogged again.

Cops pull you over, you tell them the car is visiting for the summer.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search online about Montana LLC's and the people that set them up.

Sell the car to the LLC, have the attorney register the car in Montana (for which you'll pay no sales tax) and get the plates. To get Montana plates the car never even has to be there or get inspected. Plates get mailed to you, and you never get smogged again.

Cops pull you over, you tell them the car is visiting for the summer.

I hear they're cracking down on that in ****** cali. Dunno how they would do that though. :dunno:

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I contacted another smog shop that does Vipers on the phone and faxed the smog results, After looking at the failed test results from the dealer, I was told to ck the fuel pressure at idle and 1500 rpm , ck all fuel injectors so they are misting properly. and possibly change an 02sensor. Call him back and let him know the pressure readings. it seams to be failing at the 1500-2000rpm range. What should the pressure readings be at those rpms? I love my Viper, but I really , really hate the hassle every 2 years when smog comes up. Thanks everyone for your good input . I'm tring to sort out all the info and go the best direction.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a fuel pump failing, cat failing, plug wires, or quite probably a failing O2 sensor.

Depending on where you live, I would highly recommend contacting Dan Cragin at D-C Performance in Santa Monica area.

He has all the experience plus in-house Dyno with testing equipment to get your Viper running in tip top shape.
Vipers usually run really clean and pass smog easily. Maybe there is something else wrong that you should repair to avoid bigger repair costs down the road.