World Challenge GT race from Laguna Seca....

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SCCA seems to do a pretty good job at making the cars competitive. At Laguna out of the 4 of the 5 different makes filled the top 6 positions. And you know the only reason why a Corvette wasn't up there was because Phil McClure wasn't able to race. The cars seem pretty competitive and all have their strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I think the Vipers are looked upon as having an advantage because Mike and I aren't famous race car drivers. But we've probably got more track time this year in our cars than anybody else in the series.

I had 20 pounds of rewards weight at Laguna and will have 60 pounds at Atlanta. I don't mind the weight because it keeps the series competitive, but know that the tires will be punished pretty badly with that weight. SCCA did add 150 pounds to the BMWs and everybody looks at it like they're being punished, but the announcers always fail to mention that they previously weighed 2550 to our 3100 pounds. That's why they are still so fast at the end of the race. It's not too hard to qualify well with the extra weight, but 5-10 laps into the race the tires start getting punished--especially if you overdrive the heavier cars.