would using a non synthetic oil cause burning oil

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White smoke indiates water/coolant (unless using synthetic as it also has a whitish smoke). Non-synthetic usually has a bluish smoke.

OP
OP
V

vegasviper

Last minute, could no find syn. I only have about 30 miles on it and will replace soon.

This should not be the cause of blow by oil burning upon deceleration, should it?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The oil is not the white smoke. going to regular oil should not hurt the motor, just make it less efficient. Blow-by is normally associated with a high internal pressure that causes the oil to blow-by the rings into the combustion chamber, causing more than normal oil usage(smoke)..
most times white is water/coolant. If you are having white smoke it may be wise to pull the plugs and compare.

OP
OP
V

vegasviper

So, it maybe blown head gaskets? im running the WM system and pulled plugs. The plugs have build up kind of like small bumps on them

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Virtually all vipers will do this to some degree at a given time, we just cannot see it all the time. When you de-accelerate the engine pulls about 30" of vacuum, this pulls oil from the pcv valve below the manifold and back into the intake runners (it all happens below the intake and is hidden). In addiion, the two breather tubes on the front of the valve covers push oil forward that is then sucked back into the intake tubes. This condition can be aggravated by aftermarket rockers tht allow more oile to flow to the heads.

Track cars see this more and require one or two breather/catch cans. If you pulled the intake you would be shocked by how much oil is inside the intake and heads. Call Sean Roe he has a couple of fixes. Personally I blocked off the pcv valve; ran the valve covers to a catch can; added a new breaker on the valve cover.

OP
OP
V

vegasviper

pvc, are the hoses out of the front valve covers?

Also, i do have a catch can, both front valve cover hoses go to side of catch can and i took the top breather can filter off and installed a hose that goes to the air box

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No - the pcv valve is just to the side of the thermostat. Under the intake are two sets of vacuum tubes per side. They are a couple of inches to the rear of the throttle bodies, on the underside of the intake. One set provides vacuum for the gas fume can/solennoid under the front fascia. The second set of tubes provide vacuum to purge the crankcase, this could be the culprit. It is one of the two hoses that are taped together that run between the the sides of the the intake.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also check the compression in each of your pistons. It is very simple to do, and it will indicate if there is a leak in your headgasket.

OP
OP
V

vegasviper

jack, i have the RoeSC and found the gas vacuum but not the other you mention

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Synthetic oil in a car that uses dino oil is ok.

From what I have read dino oil in a synthetic oil motor is a NO NO, and can lead to oil consumption.

I think it has to do with the difference in the size of the molecules, they are larger in synthetic.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vegas viper:

look underneath the intake on the front passenger side, that is where the pcv valve is located. It is easy to see with the oem manifold mounted. Perhaps the pcv valve was blocked off when the sc was installed.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's Tom, the Geek, if I need help here. Anyway, premium grade diesel engine oils are actually higher (yes, higher) in additive packages than the Mobil One types of synthetics are...which translates to "better" for your engine. The majority of the board will tell you to use the premium synthetics (like Mobil One, Amsoil, etc.) in the engine, but the technical wizards, like Dr. Tom (ex Texaco petroleum engineer, a.k.a. "oil wizard") will explain in more detail than most of us can digest, that a high grade diesel engine oil, in the correct weight range, is actually superior in our Vipers. I've run Caterpillar Diesel Engine oil many times...does a great job. Hell, most of the guys on the board are changing Mobil One every 2000 miles or so and that's a little extreme on it's own right!