XMetal TB install process, any advise?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my brand new XMetal TB last night, didn't have a chance to do the work yet, but got bit scared by 9 pages of instructions :omg:... I hope it will be easier to understand those instructions when I will be taking my OEM TB apart. Any tips on how to make sure that install goes well and TB does not hang during idle (I guess paper trick should take care of it)? Also, I noticed that instructions saying that I need to use RED thread lock (don't remember what bolts to apply it on though) isn't RED is like permanent? If I ever wanted to get back tot he stock TB shouldn't I be using BLUE thread lock?
Thanks.

Jroc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont see it being too difficult, taking off the OEM TB is a walk in the park. But Ive never installed an aftermarket one so im not quite sure.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red loctite is permanent (only loosens with very direct heat applied).
It will go on the (4) screws that hold the blade(s) in place.
The last thing you want is a couple of tiny screws being sucked into your cylinders. :)

If you want to go back to stock, you'll dremel off the ends of the screws, then heat up the screws themselves (heat gun, soldering iron, etc), and remove them then.
Acetone can work too, but it takes a lot longer.

Don't be intimidated.
It's a fairly easy swap.
Be methodical and double-check everything.
You should be fine.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.
I can't tell you how many times I've had the TB off/on/off/on/off/on. :)

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red loctite is permanent (only loosens with very direct heat applied).
It will go on the (4) screws that hold the blade(s) in place.
The last thing you want is a couple of tiny screws being sucked into your cylinders. :)

If you want to go back to stock, you'll dremel off the ends of the screws, then heat up the screws themselves (heat gun, soldering iron, etc), and remove them then.
Acetone can work too, but it takes a lot longer.

Don't be intimidated.
It's a fairly easy swap.
Be methodical and double-check everything.
You should be fine.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.
I can't tell you how many times I've had the TB off/on/off/on/off/on. :)

Thanks for the support. I will try it with fresh head and day light tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a link to the "install how to
" with the color photos of the TB install :). The instructions with the black pictures leave few items to the guessing.
I couldn't wait until tomorrow morning, so I started install process today. I got it down to the spring install on the new XMetal TB and that is where I kind of stuck (maybe its late in the night). When I put spring the way it shows in the picture it just doesn't feel right. Hard to explain, that is why I was hoping to find a color photos of the install, but XMetal does not have any instructions on their site.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you have it off the car it's becomes pretty simple to take out the shaft. Make sure the battery is disconnected and be careful removing the sensors. The instructions are pretty good the pictures are poor. I had no hang problems with the TB.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The return spring only goes on one way.
You will need to pre-load it BEFORE you slide the shaft into place.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all guys. All is done. First time I must have not adjust it all properly and it was handing at the idle, so I took TB off again and readjusted it, now its all good, no hanging :).

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:Glad to see you have it up and running. See it's not to hard to work on these cars. Now your a TB Pro

Thank you all guys. All is done. First time I must have not adjust it all properly and it was handing at the idle, so I took TB off again and readjusted it, now its all good, no hanging :).

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

I had a similar issue when I installed my X-Metal. No sticking on the bench after following the instructions to a T, but it was sticking after I installed it on the manifold. Loosened the mounting bolts and tightened in a different order and no more sticking.

The idle hang is a different issue that you may or may not experience when driving. My symptom is that at times, when you come to a stop and take your foot off the go pedal, the idle will hang at about 1000 rpms momentarily before dropping back down to normal. I have tried to contact X-Metal a few times to see if there was a "fix" and have not received a response. I thought that I read somewhere that they had an adjustable TPS that might help with the issue.

Has anyone actually talked with X-Metal to get a definitive answer?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
disconnect the battery loosen the TB sensor and turn it clockwise it won't move much but, it does change the voltage and lowers the idle. it may only move a 1/16th of an inch and then retighten it. reconnect the battery.

I had a similar issue when I installed my X-Metal. No sticking on the bench after following the instructions to a T, but it was sticking after I installed it on the manifold. Loosened the mounting bolts and tightened in a different order and no more sticking.

The idle hang is a different issue that you may or may not experience when driving. My symptom is that at times, when you come to a stop and take your foot off the go pedal, the idle will hang at about 1000 rpms momentarily before dropping back down to normal. I have tried to contact X-Metal a few times to see if there was a "fix" and have not received a response. I thought that I read somewhere that they had an adjustable TPS that might help with the issue.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BWAHAHAH HAHAH!
*breath*
BWAHAHAHA HAHAHA!

Oh damn that was funny.
You're more likely to get a unicorn from the Tooth Fairy than a call back from Gary.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, to give you quick update, the car runs a little better, meaning that throttle feels little more responsive than before.
Also, I was told that I need to rotate my TPS sensor to get the most out of the new TB install. Any reason why turning TPS upside down will gain me anything?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, to give you quick update, the car runs a little better, meaning that throttle feels little more responsive than before.
Also, I was told that I need to rotate my TPS sensor to get the most out of the new TB install. Any reason why turning TPS upside down will gain me anything?
I can't think of any reason off the top of my head.
It may help the computer reset itself by zero'ing the TPS at a different position further away from the OEM position.

Glad to hear you're happy with the new TB.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't mean to turn it upside down I meant to just loosen it and rotate it to the right it will only move at best a1/16th or so. It moves the idle downwards.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea be sure to do a computer reset. Disconnect the power at the battery or at the fuse box where the Red jump post is. Let it sit without power for a minute or two and then reconnect. Computer resets and re-learns the next 100 miles. Then good to go. Again dont expect power gains as much as quick response to peddle input. Enjoy:2tu:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BWAHAHAH HAHAH!
*breath*
BWAHAHAHA HAHAHA!

Oh damn that was funny.
You're more likely to get a unicorn from the Tooth Fairy than a call back from Gary.

Really? I have never had a problem communicating with him by email. This was a couple of years ago.

Note to OP: just follow the directions - don't need to do anything different with the TPS;break it in for a few hundres miles to help seat the throttle blades.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really.
Email might be different, but he didn't return ANY of my 4 calls over a year long period of time.
I gave up, re-engineered the pieces myself (and patented them) and stopped backing Gary up over on the Viper truck forum....where I was the *only* person on his side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4