Your chance to beat a Vette - Maryland - 7/31

Edgar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The NSCA American Super Car Challenge (ASC) is coming back to Maryland. The will be at Maryland International Raceway in Budds Creek MD the weekend of July 31st.

The ASC is pure heads-up racing in Vette v. Viper fashion until we run out of one of them.

Time trials/qualifications on Saturday morning and eliminations to held in the later afternoon

Racing is done in four classes
11.50 and slower
10.50 to 11.50
9.50 to 10.50
and Unlimited

Hope to beat (...ummm see) ya there :)
Full rules for the classes and payout information at http://nsca-racing.com/supercar.htm

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh boy that is my lifes goal to beat a mass produced sports car!!! Great. Where can I sign up???

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edgar, I see you beat me here. Last Saturday in Salem we had several Vipers show up on Friday and make a few runs. We had to leave for Kentucky so we missed the race on Sunday. I heard a Viper won that event. Last time we were in Maryland, I was surprised to see so many Vette's looking for the Vipers. If my memory serves me there were several low 10 second Vette's making passes. I hope a few snakes show up next weekend to give them a run. See you there. Pat

OP
OP
E

Edgar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh boy that is my lifes goal to beat a mass produced sports car!!! Great. Where can I sign up???

Sarcasm?

If you wanna race...show

If you don't...admit you cannot beat the Vette by complaing about how many are made.

I did not invite you to race EVERY Corvete every produced, just the ones that show up to race. Heck maybe even mine if you can handle it. Last race had four vipers and one vette so know what you need to before you say anything.

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

*** was that? You know, you're absolutely right. The last race I watched I heard a driver who placed 10th say "I placed 10th but at least I'm not driving a mass produced car like the guys in spots 1 through 9. My sponsor agrees. We'd much rather lose driving a hand-assembled car than win in a mass produced car" :rolleyes:

All Edgar is trying to do is increase the participation in the series. If you don't have anything positive to add, stay out of the thread. When you make comments like that, I hope you have a car and driving skills to back it up. See you at MIR.

Paul

P.S. Is the '03 H2 hand-assembled too? You do realize which truck the H2 is based on? Gasp.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My original post was in sarcasm maybe i was a little harsh...Sorry. I should have just shut my pie hole i don't even track my Viper. Sorry guys. Do you guys ever get races together with Ferraris and Lambos? That would be sweet!!!

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My original post was in sarcasm maybe i was a little harsh...Sorry. I should have just shut my pie hole i don't even track my Viper. Sorry guys. Do you guys ever get races together with Ferraris and Lambos? That would be sweet!!!

No problem, bro, it's all good. If you don't track your Viper, you should probably start soon ;)

The problem with racing Ferraris and Lambos is that even fewer of their owners race them. It's tough enough to find Viper owners who are willing to put their cars on the track (that's why we're trying to increase the participation in this race). Tough to convince a guy to put his $200,000 or $300,000 car on the track, you know? There are more "unofficial" races (read road racing) between the high end cars. I usually try to stay away from those because it could get ugly if you're caught. Not to mention an accident. Last thing I want on my conscience is killing an innocent passenger or another driver.

You should try to make it out to an event in your area to support the Vipers even if you don't race your snake. It's pretty cool to hang out and watch them run. At the drag strip or a road course. :headbang:

Paul

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No problem, bro, it's all good. If you don't track your Viper, you should probably start soon ;)

The problem with racing Ferraris and Lambos is that even fewer of their owners race them. It's tough enough to find Viper owners who are willing to put their cars on the track (that's why we're trying to increase the participation in this race). Tough to convince a guy to put his $200,000 or $300,000 car on the track, you know? There are more "unofficial" races (read road racing) between the high end cars. I usually try to stay away from those because it could get ugly if you're caught. Not to mention an accident. Last thing I want on my conscience is killing an innocent passenger or another driver.

You should try to make it out to an event in your area to support the Vipers even if you don't race your snake. It's pretty cool to hang out and watch them run. At the drag strip or a road course. :headbang:

Paul
I'm along with most of us here a huge Viper fan. I need to make it to Viper days one of these days. Take care and drive safely!!!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It's tough enough to find Viper owners who are willing to put their cars on the track (that's why we're trying to increase the participation in this race).......There are more "unofficial" races (read road racing) between the high end cars.

Sorry my friend but you are grossly mis-informed about that one. Viper owners as a whole are savage racers and will gladly take a fight onto whatever surface you want to run on. The problem that you seem to want to side-step is that, when you get track time (especially if its a sponsored commercial event like this) you also get all the rules, regulations, and fees and worst of all very limited asphalt time that come with it.

Take the last time I was at a "fun" track event -

RTs were being sidelined for sub-14sec runs... yippie!!!
Rollbars were enforced for sub-12sec runs... happy days!!!
Bracket rules were in place - first timers were soundly whipped... that always lightens a mood.
$100 track fee... what's a $100 for us rich guys huh?
and the most a single car got was eight runs... 8.... ocho.... 10subtract2...

Now on the other hand I can take $100 ($70 after a good fill-up) and cruise down to Ocean City on the same night. Once there I can decisively hand out humble pies to any Porsche, Vette, BMW, Supra, Mustang, Z28, or ricer *I* choose without having some track supervisor flapping his yap about helmets, rollbars, or the virtues of getting the same ET...every...single...run. But if that's not enough I can do this in front of hundreds of drunk bikini-clad women until 3 am AND STILL HAVE ENOUGH FOR BREAKFAST for the trip home.

But if you're into hanging out with sweaty vette guys on a Saturday night then please don't let me be the one to try to convince you otherwise. On July 31st, I, however, will be out at sunset on ocean avenue looking to pick a fight. Snakebred company is always invited.

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately these events have safety rules imposed by either the NHRA or IHRA and those are taken from the SFI. These particular events are a ton of fun with very Viper friendly staff. The entry fees and payouts are quite good considering what I've seen before. I would suggest going to www.nsca-racing.com and click on the American Super Car Challenge for the rules and payout info. Ask Joseph Dell, Paul S or others who have dealt with this association and what they think. If you want to call the promoter directly PM me and I'll shoot you his number. You will find it is a great org. Yes, I would love to them relax the rules on roll bars etc and based on my discussions with them they would like too, unfortunately insurance prohibits this. Hells come on by Saturday and see what’s up. You don't have to race, just come and see some great racing and support the snakes that show up to run.

Paul, was that your Red RT 10 I saw in Quaker City?

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You just proved my point. I said not many Viper owners are willing to put their cars ON THE TRACK and they more often participate in STREET RACES. I never said that they're not willing to race :confused: I'm not side-stepping any problems. I gave you the facts and you've agreed with them. What am I missing here? I'm a Viper owner and LOVE to race.

If organized racing isn't your cup of tea and you'd rather street race, good for you. This thread relates to the former.

Little education is necessary here, however:

-You'll be sidelined if you make sub 14 second passes with the top OFF. Why you'd want to race with the top off I'm not sure since it kills aerodynamics and becomes more dangerous if you tag the wall.
-Roll bars are now necessary for sub 11.5 sec runs on NHRA and IHRA tracks. Rules are rules. Not easy to put a bone stock Viper below 11.50.
-Agreed, bracket racing isn't a whole lot of fun. This series is heads up racing, however.
-$100 goes towards the payout purse. How else do you expect the winners to get paid? How do you expect the organizers to pay for the track?
-8 runs is more than you'd usually get on a test and tune night at a local drag strip.

Like I said, if you prefer street racing in front of 100s of adoring bikini-clad fans at 3 am screaming your name, great. I hope to God it'll always end safely for you. The idea of scraping some innocent bystander off my front fascia hasn't really appealed to me because the thought of a sweaty bikini-clad inmate in a state prison asking me if I'd like jelly with that tossed salad is somehow less comfortable to me than hanging with sweaty Vette guys on a Saturday night. Ohhhhh, giiiiirlfrieeeeend. But, hey, we all have our own unique preferences. Maybe if you had a 4 year old child who doesn't understand that stepping in front of a speeding car will kill you, you'd reconsider street racing. But, hey, the price of a child's life pales in comparison to the glory of a Viper beating up on a Mustang. Think about it.

Paul

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pat, no that wasn't me. I couldn't make it to Quaker City. I have a sapphire RT. I'll be at MIR. Are you planning on racing?

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, I'll be there, stop by the big red trailer and pick up some hats and shirts. Hell any snake owners can stop by and we can see what we have in the goodie bag, just ask for Pat. Work finally game me an answer on racing and I was told "no racing while working an event".

For everyone here, I do not work for the racing organization. However, I am the title sponsor for the NSCA, not the ASCC and I do love to see the Vipers kick some Vette ASP. Paul, I'll see you there.

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good deal, Pat. I'll make sure to stop by. I've been chatting with Ned on and off too. He said he's planning to add a race in my neck of the woods in mid-November. That event should bring a lot of fast snakes and Vettes out. November air in NJ at one of the best-prepped tracks sounds good to me.

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Edgar, not yet. Had a problem with the intercooler. They found a leak in one of the tanks, had to cut it off, reweld it, and ship it back. It's coming from California and it should be here today. There's a very good chance I'll have the car for the 31st. If not, I may have to find a set of drag radials to put on the Viper and run Genuine Street.

OP
OP
E

Edgar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish you luck.

I just booked a room for Friday night so I can get close enough to not have to drive 4 hours Saturday so I can be sharp on the tree;)

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm there as well (going to spectate :2tu: ). Anyone want to meet up in the Northern VA area and drive down?

P.S. I beat vette's every day, not something I exactly go out of my way to do ;) Just ruffling your feathers Ed.

See ya there!

CROM

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've raced dozens of times at MIR in my other car, but I don't feel I should be racing the GTS. Call it paranoia, call it Vaginitis, etc...but I will be happy to watch and root for my fellow Viper owners.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
E

Edgar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've raced dozens of times at MIR in my other car, but I don't feel I should be racing the GTS. Call it paranoia, call it Vaginitis, etc...but I will be happy to watch and root for my fellow Viper owners.

How about we call it, Can't beat so I might might as well not try?

Just kidding bud. I am glad you will be coming out to support:)

Custom Builder

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quite a few 90's and up Lambos are AWD. Most will only race from a roll as not to gernade 50k worth of tranny and driveline parts. Starting on a roll is usually a cluster to say the least, but if that kind of "racing" floats your boat, so be it. I have a 95 355 and believe me it's no race against the Viper. It's more like throwing a mouse in the python cage.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
these viper/vette events can become a great event series. i plan on going if my schedule permits.

i hope to see the vette/viper events and the V10 nats get the support, attendance and entrants they deserve to support serious drag race enthusiasts.

as always boggs and the v10 nats have my support and participation and i am now also working with ned and his vette/viper shootout to do whatever i can to make it bigger better and badder.

be nice to see the two events merge. of course maintain their individualities but merge and do perhaps grudge matches. on occasion piggybacking larger venues...better attendance, better payouts/awards, better less overhead expenses. easy plan just gotta get it started

OP
OP
E

Edgar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The hardest thing is finding these ********* racers. We are fortunate in that there are many on the forums that I visit but there has to be more.

I visit maybe eight different Vette or Viper forums in each offering this series as a weay to get that car out an open it up.

I hope you make it to Budds Creek so we can talk about ASC as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21