ZO...WHO?

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How is this motor more capable than the current 505hp to make over 900hp NA? You bench racers crack me up. :) There is nothing so significant on this motor to enable to be that much better than the current GEN3 motor.

Forged internals to start. You need to research the motor a little. You might be real surprised at the potential FACTORY output.

No way will this motor make 900HP NA!!! Even with forged internals it will take alot of aftermarket parts to ever get close to that number. Just look at Norm and what he has done with his motor, though it is a Gen2. I believe Hennnesssey hasn't even come close to this yet with his bored/stroked Gen3 motors.

I am not going to argue the point with you. Unless you have talked to a couple of the key guys that put this motor together...you are operating at a major disadvantage. Yeah...I have talked with them. Have a great night.

I will be sure to keep this post in mind to refer to when the car gets out in to the hands of the real people. We will see what happens powerwise. You may have inside information, but show me one other motor making 900HP NA that is not an all out race motor built with exotic/high dollar parts for short lifespans between overhauls.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you build it if you knew that the current Viper motor was capable of HUGE HP (over 900) naturally aspirated? Well..if the Viper isn't the competition, then I guess you would. Just asking. I guess the real question is...would you build it knowing that the Viper was sitting with 700HP..or 750? And more importantly, could you sell them at 100k +.

Ummm the LS7 has the ability to make 900hp N.A. as well, what's your point?

Show me that info. Much higher than anything I have ever heard. N.A....no way.

and your reliable info is quoted from a member on this board who heard it from a the neighbor's wife's cousin's doctor who watches nascar...

That is truly reliable info.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would you build it if you knew that the current Viper motor was capable of HUGE HP (over 900) naturally aspirated? Well..if the Viper isn't the competition, then I guess you would. Just asking. I guess the real question is...would you build it knowing that the Viper was sitting with 700HP..or 750? And more importantly, could you sell them at 100k +.

Ummm the LS7 has the ability to make 900hp N.A. as well, what's your point?

Show me that info. Much higher than anything I have ever heard. N.A....no way.

and your reliable info is quoted from a member on this board who heard it from a the neighbor's wife's cousin's doctor who watches nascar...

That is truly reliable info.

Intelligent post. Are you on the Ford Gt Forum?

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lankhoss:please don't tell me you think Vettes are exotic??? LMFAO They are nearly as common as Mustangs anymore. There are 3 American exotics...Ford GT,S7 and Viper. Am I missing anyone???

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
since 1953 there have been nearly 1.4 million corvettes built
since 1992 there have been approximately 30,000 vipers built
there are only 4,038 ford GT's and 118 GT-40's

only a lil over 1,000 of the original 60's cobras were built but the aftermarket has made this the most copied car in the world.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 500hp Mustang never went anywhere. Even though they're selling for over MSRP, even Mustang lovers were upset with the over-weight under-performing pig. About the only thing it's good for, is a great platform for making lots of horsepower. I believe I saw a blower swap on the STOCK engine and fuel system made over 800rwhp.

Anyway, the new Viper looks badass. Isn't really spoiling Christmas for Chevrolet though....DC has had 2 years to trump the new Z, so now it's Chevy's turn to return fire. This is great for car enthusiasts!

(although I still stand behind my statement that the Z isn't meant to be competitive with the Viper)

Well, as a prior owner of two Vipers, now on my third Vette, I can tell you that a lot of us are applauding the competition. The more Z06 buyers who defect to the new Viper to get the highest horsepower, the sooner the premiums on the Z06s will go down, and Vette buyers will be able to get a supercar in the $70K range. For Viper owners, the absolutely aggressive new look catapults the SRT-10 "bland" look to where it should have been all along. My 96 Gen 1.5 was always better looking than my 03 SRT 10 (see Avatar) but the SRT-10 was the far better car. Now Viper owners don't need to choose. They can have all the sophistication of the better brakes, seats, tops, etc of the SRT-10 with the aggressive demeanor of the Gen I 1.5 and Gen II cars.

I think everyone is going to come out happy on this one.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lankhoss:please don't tell me you think Vettes are exotic??? LMFAO They are nearly as common as Mustangs anymore. There are 3 American exotics...Ford GT,S7 and Viper. Am I missing anyone???

No, please read my post. I said it's used as a selling point.

Vettes are quite a bit cheaper than Vipers, and WAY cheaper than other exotics.

For someone who has the enthusiasm, but not the money...it's a fantastic selling point to say "For just <$ amount here> you can have LAMBORGHINI PERFORMANCE."

That's all I'm trying to say.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I have made statements in the past during the Z06 vs. Viper debates that I never thought the Z06 was in the same class as the Viper, nor was it MEANT to compete with it. The Viper has always been a 450+hp V10 beast, with limited production numbers, top of the line everything (from suspension to brakes to drivetrain), with a very exotic look/feel and limited production. And, of course, you have to pay a pretty hefty price for this package.

The Z06 was an upgraded Corvette Coupe with "similar to exotic performance, at an affordable price" The C5 Z06 was slower than the Gen II Viper, and quite a bit slower than the SRT-10. On top of that, it didn't have nearly as good of braking. The handling was the only thing that it even came close to in comparison with the Viper, and even then it fell behind. Basically, it was a mass produced Corvette....with a couple of body changes, and performance upgrades here and there...in a much more limited number than the regular coupe. It could also be had at a mere $5k over the price of a Coupe, putting it $30k cheaper than a Viper.

The new Z06 is nothing like the C5 Z06, not even close. About the only similarities between the C6 Coupe and the Z06 are the doors, hood, and interior. Other than that, the entire car has been re-vamped, and Chevrolet has added so many things to this car that they never have before. This is, by no means, a "regular" Corvette. Of all the "special" Corvettes in the past, none have been so far ahead of the Coupe as this. Think about the Grand Sport or Collector's Edition. The only Vette I can think of that is even comparable to the new Z06 was the ZR-1 back in 1990. And that car was HUGE back in its day. I still don't think it was as advanced from the Coupe as the current Z06 is.

That being said, it's possible the new Z06 was specifically targeting the Viper...but that is nothing more than speculation. From a selling standpoint, saying the Vette is faster than the Viper is awesome. However, saying the car can completely outperform a $250k Lamborghini or Ferrari in every category for $75k is an even bigger selling point, in my opinion. I think part of the reason the new Z06 has gotten so much attention is because of what I believe....that "special edition" Corvettes really aren't meant to perform as well as this one does. It's hard to even compare the C5 Z06 to the C6 Z, because this one is so vastly ahead of the C5.

This is the reason I think the Z06 isn't really meant to compare with the Viper, and it is my GUESS that this will be the last time the Z06 outperforms the Viper. The SS, Blue Devil, or whatever...is a completely different animal.

I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt we'll see Z06's outperforming Vipers in the future....unless they make them a lot more expensive.

LOL I'm gonna have to disagree with you lankhoss. If there was no Viper there would likely be no C6Z06 because chevy had no one to target, it was already on par with the C5Z06 if you count the 996 porsches and euro cars. The Viper was the car it had not decisively beat. Chevy doesnt need to charge more, although I agree that the vette wont get much faster (excluding the SS/Blue Devil) They are exactly the same form of car competing in the exact same market with the same consumers. If Dodge having to discontinue and then revamp in mid production run isnt sign enough, then the SS/Blue Devil should be, FI is the only way the Vette can keep up with the larger displacement and it cant be counted out because it is in fact a corvette.

However this race will stop, and soon because there is only so much horsepower you can reliably warranty. The small production cars (Pagani, Lambo, Ferrari) can do it because they charge 100's of thousands for each car but Chevy is already struggling to keep the car together with 500 hp. Dodges viper almost was no more.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I have made statements in the past during the Z06 vs. Viper debates that I never thought the Z06 was in the same class as the Viper, nor was it MEANT to compete with it. The Viper has always been a 450+hp V10 beast, with limited production numbers, top of the line everything (from suspension to brakes to drivetrain), with a very exotic look/feel and limited production. And, of course, you have to pay a pretty hefty price for this package.

The Z06 was an upgraded Corvette Coupe with "similar to exotic performance, at an affordable price" The C5 Z06 was slower than the Gen II Viper, and quite a bit slower than the SRT-10. On top of that, it didn't have nearly as good of braking. The handling was the only thing that it even came close to in comparison with the Viper, and even then it fell behind. Basically, it was a mass produced Corvette....with a couple of body changes, and performance upgrades here and there...in a much more limited number than the regular coupe. It could also be had at a mere $5k over the price of a Coupe, putting it $30k cheaper than a Viper.

The new Z06 is nothing like the C5 Z06, not even close. About the only similarities between the C6 Coupe and the Z06 are the doors, hood, and interior. Other than that, the entire car has been re-vamped, and Chevrolet has added so many things to this car that they never have before. This is, by no means, a "regular" Corvette. Of all the "special" Corvettes in the past, none have been so far ahead of the Coupe as this. Think about the Grand Sport or Collector's Edition. The only Vette I can think of that is even comparable to the new Z06 was the ZR-1 back in 1990. And that car was HUGE back in its day. I still don't think it was as advanced from the Coupe as the current Z06 is.

That being said, it's possible the new Z06 was specifically targeting the Viper...but that is nothing more than speculation. From a selling standpoint, saying the Vette is faster than the Viper is awesome. However, saying the car can completely outperform a $250k Lamborghini or Ferrari in every category for $75k is an even bigger selling point, in my opinion. I think part of the reason the new Z06 has gotten so much attention is because of what I believe....that "special edition" Corvettes really aren't meant to perform as well as this one does. It's hard to even compare the C5 Z06 to the C6 Z, because this one is so vastly ahead of the C5.

This is the reason I think the Z06 isn't really meant to compare with the Viper, and it is my GUESS that this will be the last time the Z06 outperforms the Viper. The SS, Blue Devil, or whatever...is a completely different animal.

I may be wrong, but I seriously doubt we'll see Z06's outperforming Vipers in the future....unless they make them a lot more expensive.

LOL I'm gonna have to disagree with you lankhoss. If there was no Viper there would likely be no C6Z06 because chevy had no one to target, it was already on par with the C5Z06 if you count the 996 porsches and euro cars. The Viper was the car it had not decisively beat. Chevy doesnt need to charge more, although I agree that the vette wont get much faster (excluding the SS/Blue Devil) They are exactly the same form of car competing in the exact same market with the same consumers. If Dodge having to discontinue and then revamp in mid production run isnt sign enough, then the SS/Blue Devil should be, FI is the only way the Vette can keep up with the larger displacement and it cant be counted out because it is in fact a corvette.

However this race will stop, and soon because there is only so much horsepower you can reliably warranty. The small production cars (Pagani, Lambo, Ferrari) can do it because they charge 100's of thousands for each car but Chevy is already struggling to keep the car together with 500 hp. Dodges viper almost was no more.

And I disagree with you!! The Viper has been around for what, 14 years? The Vette has been around for 54 years. During that time, there have been numerous "higher performance" Corvette models that have come out, before the Viper was even dreamed of. The first Z06 came out in 1963! In 2001, when they brought it back, it was pretty obvious it wasn't meant to compete with and certainly not BEAT the Viper. It was made to be a "bang for buck" sports car. I don't have all of the exact years, but there have been Grand Sport Corvettes since the 60's, the ZL1 Corvette in '69 which may have been faster than the current Z (the only reason production was so low, was because it was an option and nobody bought it because it was expensive). Then let's not forget the ZR-1, which came out in 1990. The car was actually developed in 1989, but production was delayed until 1990 (there are 1989 Corvettes with the 6 speed transmission, which was SPECIFICALLY made for the ZR-1). This is still a couple of years before the Viper came out.

It's not new to the Corvette world to have higher performance models come out, and I'm just not going to be sold on the idea that the Viper is the REASON the Z06 was built!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For someone who has the enthusiasm, but not the money...it's a fantastic selling point to say "For just <$ amount here> you can have LAMBORGHINI PERFORMANCE."

If a buyer is gonna believe that GM should use that sales pitch on all it's customers.

I've been in a Lambo Murci at Sebring.
I've been in a Z06 at Sebring.

No. The Z06 does not have Lambo performance.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck....man...is it REALLY that hard to understand what I'm saying?

In a magazine, it shows the Z06 being faster and doing better laps around tracks than the Murci, as well as blowing everything away around Nurburg. THAT is the selling point, not someone literally saying the exact words I typed here to every single customer.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I sure hope not anyone who thinks Vipers much less Corvettes are "True Exotics" needs to get their head checked. Great cars, with the Viper offering MUCH more rarity, but exotics they are not.

Exotics are Marques, NOT models...

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure hope not anyone who thinks Vipers much less Corvettes are "True Exotics" needs to get their head checked. Great cars, with the Viper offering MUCH more rarity, but exotics they are not.

Exotics are Marques, NOT models... >>

I was pretty much with you up until the last part....Saleen and Ford are certainly not exotic marques, but by anyone's definition, aren't the Saleen S7 and Ford GT exotics? :usa:

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
by definition to an american living in the usa, an exotic car is a supercar from overseas. the saleen S7 and the ford GT are supercars but are not exotics to us americans.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exotics are Marques, NOT models... >>

I was pretty much with you up until the last part....Saleen and Ford are certainly not exotic marques, but by anyone's definition, aren't the Saleen S7 and Ford GT exotics? :usa:

You got me on that one man, I would have to consider those as well...Although the Saleen without question, the Ford GT I guess depends on who you ask. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21