04 Srt wont start

Csharp83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, new Viper owner here. I bought a 2004 Viper SRT two weeks ago and have put 150 miles on it, including the drive home. I took it for a drive yesterday and put in the garage last night. When I tried to start it today, it sounded like it was running out of fuel so I shut it off and then tried to re start it. It’s cranking but will not fire off. “Cheap scanner” showed no faults. Thoughts? Battery is on a tender at the moment.

Attachments

• B1A6C666-B7D7-4B3F-B0BC-E399B0F5A1BE.jpeg
    B1A6C666-B7D7-4B3F-B0BC-E399B0F5A1BE.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Csharp83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found some solid advice on the forums from several years back, pumped the pedal a few times and started up.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Having battery on a tender does not tell you much...especially with what I presume is the battery that was in the car when you bought it.

I would check the voltage in the system AFTER the tender/charger has been disconnected at least 1/2 hour. If voltage at that point 12.2, battery is 50% or less in state of charge. Load test will also be quite telling.

I would also use this opportunity to inspect battery cables, clean contacts...and, I personally would install a new, tested, fully charged group 34 AGM battery if yours does not measure up. These cars are very voltage sensitive.

This may still need more sorting...but one step at a time is usually the best method. Fuel status and fuel pressure may come into play as well.

Has car been sitting for an extended period? Mileage? Original or rebuild?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Csharp83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
35,000 miles. Original except for what’s listed below. No accidents.
COMP CAMS CAMSHAFT UPGRADE PACKAGE

UPGRADED CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM

PERFORMANCE TUNING

Thank you for all you input. I will get the new battery this week. It started up and ran great today when I got home.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I suspect that you might have done a throttle relearn with the cycling of the gas pedal. The need to do this has been noted before with marginal battery performance.

Enjoy your Viper !!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've had weird starting issues since my cam swap as well that are very inconsistent. One morning it will start up immediately almost before I've even had a chance to let go of the button. Other days it will crank and crank like it's not getting any spark, but turn over just fine. It doesn't even sound like it's struggling or anything like a low battery. Seems to be more prevalent after it has run for a while and then sat for more than a few minutes, though it has done it rarely on a dead cold start. I've found giving it just a little throttle while cranking when it does that seems to light it off just fine. Otherwise it will usually eventually start, but it sounds like it starts one cylinder at a time and very slowly the others pick up. When I do pedal it to start it it smells horribly rich though. Thinking it might be somehow related to my tune, but never have managed to pin down exactly what it might be as it's hard to reproduce consistently.

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my 06 Viper it had 23k original miles back in September. At the beginning it kinda behaved like this with rough starting...and even the valve train was a little loud though within normal parameters. The more I drove it the better it started and the smoother the engine got. The valvetrain even got quieter as well. Its ran through a few tanks of gas...an oil change with Mobil 1 0w-40...it's got 27.5k miles now...Runs like a champ!

OP
OP
C

Csharp83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@ morparMap. Sounds exactly like my issue. It ran great yesterday. Might need the tune tweeked. About to get battery tested anyways and start there.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Csharp83, take you time getting to know your fine new ride. While many of us have a certain fascination ( and occasional frustration) with some of the standard Viper quirks, don't let such things worry you or dampen your enthusiasm. In my opinion, these cars are a blast to own, drive, and service. It just takes a little time to get to know them...one step at a time. If you do need to replace your battery, there are some worthwhile tips concerning that process, starting with the fasteners holding the cover in place....and a note of caution to be offered concerning the red shield protecting the positive battery terminal. Before disconnecting the battery, be sure to lower the windows...and, test the external keylock for function.

Rather that ramble on here, I will just offer my number in case you have a question or encounter an issue: 317 402 9013. "It takes a village..."

OP
OP
C

Csharp83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, wow! I’am blown away by the support and responsiveness of this community. I really appreciate all of your tips and advice. I’ll reach out to say hello soon. I’m a 972 area code. Thanks so much.

BoremViper97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2.5 months of having my 97 Viper I’ve driven 2,000 miles and of course have started the engine hundreds of times.
One time it ran poorly.
A dozen or so times it would stop cranking because my foot/leg accidentally let the clutch pedal up a fraction of an inch (during cranking).
One of those times- after I pushed the clutch back in and cranked it up and it was idling poorly. I whacked the throttle a few times but no improvement.
I drove away and it lacked power; barely could accelerate. It got a bit worse over a few tenths of a mile and I ended up rolling into a parking lot; cussing and concerned about it.
I don’t remember if it died or if I turned it off, but after sitting a moment I started it up and it was perfectly normal.

I was/am certain that it was somehow related to me accidentally aborting the starting cycle via my accidental lift of the clutch.
For what it’s worth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave