05 Hemi Dayton Dodge Ram Quad Cab to tow 24ft Enclosed Trailer?

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Hey guys,

I'm trying to haul my Viper to Tator's Dodge and wanted to find out if I can use my quad cab 05 Dodge Hemi Ram to tow the 24ft enclosed trailer without any problems? The truck doesn't have a seperate trailer brake controller, but shouldn't it be okay without? Shouldn't the plug offer assistance in that department or should I just rent or find another vehicle to tow the trailer with?

Anyone want to trailer the Viper from MD to NY :D

Thanks in advance!

Mike

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake controllers are fairly inexpensive and the Rams already have the hookup for them under the dash. Your truck can pull it but if it was me, I would not haul anything that big and heavy without a brake controller. Safety first.

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake controllers are fairly inexpensive and the Rams already have the hookup for them under the dash. Your truck can pull it but if it was me, I would not haul anything that big and heavy without a brake controller. Safety first.

I see many different brake controllers on Summit, hmmmm :)

This is why I ask, I just want to make sure everything is safe and that I can get the car transported along with the truck , trailer and Viper being safe. I'm trying to get the Viper to Tator's this weekend, so it's something I need to figure out fairly quick too.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a Prodigy brake controller. No leveling or settings to go thru. The plug, like said above is under the dash, it's blue. Also your truck should have come with the other side of the connector that you wire to the brake controller, then plug it in under the dash. Don't try and tow that size trailer without brakes!!

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Sure, Get a Brake Controller and wire it in, Also for a piece of mind an equalizer hitch would sure help with that size of trailer, Also load the car close to the front of the trailer so you have good hitch weight on the truck. Safety First :D

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is to much to be towing with a half ton, especially without brakes.
I don't give a dam if Dodge says your truck can handle it, you are pushing it.

Not that I wouldn't tow that set up with your truck, Just be careful and GET THE BRAKE CONTROLLER!! before you try it.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, brake controller is needed. You have one so that is taken care of. Make a mental note for the install. Be sure to be sitting in the driver seat when you find a location as normal location is by right knee on the dash. If you are a taller person and do not test fit the controller, your knee may hit it and dont ask why I know this. :D

As for the original question, can it tow it, yes. First question that comes to mind is do you have the trailer tow package? What gearing? Auto or standard? Either way it will tow it but will be borderline. You may want a sway control (prevents the back end of the trailer from whipping side to size, caused by soft rear suspension) and equalizing hitch (helps to take weight off the back of the truck by way of leverage). If you dont have it, watch your top speed and be careful where you locate the car in the trailer. Try to center the weight so it does not squat the truck too much but leave enough weight to prevent whipping.

As for the truck itself, will work just be easy of it. It will do everything you ask it too it is just harder on it so be nice. ;) Slow starts, slow stops, and watch for trany temp dummy lite if towing highway into the wind with no trailer tow (no HD tranny cooler). Can get toasty. :(

Now to the end of my lengthy post. :D It will do it, but dont do it too often. Dont ask how I know this either. ;)

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, brake controller is needed. You have one so that is taken care of. Make a mental note for the install. Be sure to be sitting in the driver seat when you find a location as normal location is by right knee on the dash. If you are a taller person and do not test fit the controller, your knee may hit it and dont ask why I know this. :D

As for the original question, can it tow it, yes. First question that comes to mind is do you have the trailer tow package? What gearing? Auto or standard? Either way it will tow it but will be borderline. You may want a sway control (prevents the back end of the trailer from whipping side to size, caused by soft rear suspension) and equalizing hitch (helps to take weight off the back of the truck by way of leverage). If you dont have it, watch your top speed and be careful where you locate the car in the trailer. Try to center the weight so it does not squat the truck too much but leave enough weight to prevent whipping.

As for the truck itself, will work just be easy of it. It will do everything you ask it too it is just harder on it so be nice. ;) Slow starts, slow stops, and watch for trany temp dummy lite if towing highway into the wind with no trailer tow (no HD tranny cooler). Can get toasty. :(

Now to the end of my lengthy post. :D It will do it, but dont do it too often. Dont ask how I know this either. ;)

I'll test fit the controller before mounting haha.

The truck has the tow package. It's an automatic. I'll be gentle on the truck and try and center the Viper in the trailer best as possible. I don't have the time or $ to get the equalizing hitch (would be nice) and honestly, I don't plan on towing like this frequently. It's more of a here and there type thing than anything. I'm towing the car to NY from MD then probably driving the Viper home :drive:

I'll keep an eye on transmission temperature and I may be leaving late in the evening to avoid traffic and the cooler temps late in the evening while towing ;)

All points/notes taken, thank you!

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your trailer all aluminum (like a Featherlight) or standard?

IMO, its going to be a strain on the 1/2 ton, especially if you are going to cross some mountains. Just be careful, buying the controller was a good move (a must).

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your trailer all aluminum (like a Featherlight) or standard?

IMO, its going to be a strain on the 1/2 ton, especially if you are going to cross some mountains. Just be careful, buying the controller was a good move (a must).

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tow my 24' Featherlite enclosed car trailer with my Ford F150 with no problems. It's a 5.4 liter with tow package and electric brake controller. I purchased my 02 ACR in Menphis and hauled in back to south Florida.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this question has already been asked, but are you still under your tow capacity? A 24 FT enclosed trailer weighs a lot doesn't it? That and add 3500LBS for the Viper. Just curious. :)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 26 foot Haulmark (non Aluminum) weights in at 3600ish....

The key to towing heavy, easy on the hills up and down and to keep the speed low. You will know what that speed is. ;) You will feel it! ;)

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you can get a bigger truck and go 85mph all the way to Detroit and back while pulling your snake.

There is a lot to be said about having the right tool for the job...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might be a good reason to think about changing the ATF in the truck.

The tow package means more fan cooling the radiator, but is there a separate ATF cooler or is it in the bottom of the radiator?

Long ago I bought a '79 ****** Dodge D250 with a 360 V8 and 727 4WD. Something blocked the radiator and the engine overheated. After cooling, the engine was fine, but the ATF was cooked and the varnish in the valve body wouldn't allow it to shift anymore. This would be your worst case example...

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be an extra trans cooler. That the biggest reason to get the tow package on any pickup, whether you plan on towing anything or not. "Tow package" means they added a trans cooler and a class 3 hitch on a 1/2 ton, class IV or V on a 3/4 ton. I wouldn't trust towing a 24' enclosed, loaded trailer with the stock 5k lb rated hitch on a 1/2 ton truck for any significant distance. You'll be wondering why that trailer passing you on the highway looks so familiar...

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this question has already been asked, but are you still under your tow capacity? A 24 FT enclosed trailer weighs a lot doesn't it? That and add 3500LBS for the Viper. Just curious. :)

About 3500lbs empty so ~7000 loaded. That's under the max tow capacity but not by much.

I towed my '09 in a 24' enclosed with my '03 Ram Hemi Quad Cab 2wd. Towing short distances say 300 miles max is not a problem. I don't think I'd want to go cross country though. I felt 60mph was as hard as I wanted to push the truck. With that heavy of a load you should have a load leveling hitch with sway control. I did not and had no problem on a very windy day. But if you get into trouble, you might get dinged if you don't have one.

I towed my '97 GTS from Minnesota to Texas on a Sloan's Kwik load with my '98 Durango with the 360 engine and it was much easier than towing the 24' enclosed with my '03 Ram.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
an open trailer is always going to be easier to tow that an enclosed trailer for obvious reasons of profile. I have towed much more than the rated limit with several truck/trailer combos and the key is to maintain steady speeds and have very slow changes with stop and go. Also airbag spring helpers are a second must have for any amount of towing. less play in the rear suspension will greatly reduce the amount of sway and bounce in the trailer which will reduce the stress on all parts of the truck. about $140 and an hour or less to install.

Driving at night is also a wise idea for heavy load towing. Especially in my area, I start trips around 3 am when the roads are coolest and I have the most driving time before the tires heat up. Be very aware of tire temps!!! I would suggest making several stops to check tire temps. If your rear tires on the truck are too hot to keep your hand on then rest for awhile before getting back on the road. Loading the car in the trailer properly will help with this as a evenly spread load will reduce the frictional stress heating the tires. There are several threads that show proper loading for different trailers.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, about 7000ish loaded.I would say more like 7500 if you want to consider any add ons to the Viper, and other thing like luggage, spare tire, etc.

Good advice from J&R as well.

As I imagine you are already driving, let us know how it went! :)

OP
OP
1MEANSNAKE

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I made the trip and everything went very well. The brake controller was pretty much all I needed and the truck towed very well with the weight behind it. I got thrown off of the pkwy in NJ/NY, however after being lost, ending up in the bronx, I ended up getting to Tator's Dodge around 11:30pm =O

Chuck Tator was very forgiving of how late I arrived and probably had to stay awake waiting for me. Thanks for all of the advice and Thanks to Chuck Tator for not wanting to kill me when I finally made it out there.

I think I will fly up to pick the car up ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte