05 ZO6 - ?

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha. Why would they do that? I found myself saying that with many of the auto makers showings.

The more I hear about the Z06 the better it sounds. Seems the SRT took most of the risk jumping in the 500hp game first and just left room for others to improve and follow. I'm not sure what happend, maybe they flooded the market with SRTs too soon. All accross the board I hear dealers are having a very hard time selling SRTs even at invoice. I'm very curious to see how the Z06 will do.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the new Z-06 will be an outstanding performer. It will be interesting to see what the final price is. They claim they will not make the same mistake they did with the ZR-1 and overprice it. If this car ends up being sub $60k, I think we will see some serious pricing pressure on SRTs. I think the reason the SRTs aren't selling well is because people find that the look isn't as ****, exotic, and timeless at the GTS that came out in 1996.

My prediction is that the Z-06 will outperform the SRT, but hopefully DC will quickly realize that they need to find out how to offer a 550-600hp coupe with some flair in order to keep the masses happy.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's frustrating that the new Z06 is coming out at about the same price as the first GTS coupe and it has all the incredible improvements included!

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why doesnt Dodge upgrade the Viper to a higher standard to keep up with newly developed high HP machines. This would include #1 traction control #2 better heat insulation #3 better quality control #4 Higher level of interior trim #5 dry sump oil pump for the track guys #6 get rid of the damn run flats #7#8 etc. etc.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why doesnt Dodge upgrade the Viper to a higher standard to keep up with newly developed high HP machines. This would include #1 traction control #2 better heat insulation #3 better quality control #4 Higher level of interior trim #5 dry sump oil pump for the track guys #6 get rid of the damn run flats #7#8 etc. etc.

Becuase That's not what a Viper is all about. The birth of the Viper was a moderen day Shelby Cobra, bare essential, no creature comforts and fast as hell. If you want a smooth ride, better interior trim, traction control, etc. Buy a Corvette. But as it seems now you can have you're cake and eat it too w/ the C6 Z06. :eek:

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lthl Vpr says that the reason the SRT's "aren't selling" are bla, blah, blah

Fact is that the SRT-10 has sold more quickly and in higher numbers than nearly any other year or model of Viper.

DC produced far more 03 and 04's than in other years and did so much more quickly. That has led to a number of the SRT-10's sitting around. But, if you look at sales figures it has been a success for Dodge.

Fact is that while many previous Viper owners continue to talk about how much they dislike the styling of the SRT-10, apparently a LOT of people disagree. People have bought more 03 and 04 Vipers than almost any other previous year.

The actual sales numbers have been posted on here several times.

Dirk

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going to be an 06 not an 05.....

Early C6?
Huh?
There's only 1 C6 Corvette out there, the 2005 C6. First out was the coupe, the vert is now out, and come fall of 05 the 2006 C6 Z-06 should be hitting the street. Can't believe the General is using Ti rods, valves, valve springs, and pushrods, and carbon fiber!

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Z06's don't appear to be selling well. Already $3500 off sticker from Kerbeck Chevrolet. 27 cars in stock on the lot.

Z06 Looks better than the stock C6, but not sure if the price premium or the looks will deter people from buying it. Handling/Ride and Horsepower is very impressive.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Z06's don't appear to be selling well. Already $3500 off sticker from Kerbeck Chevrolet. 27 cars in stock on the lot.

Z06 Looks better than the stock C6, but not sure if the price premium or the looks will deter people from buying it. Handling/Ride and Horsepower is very impressive.

Um that's the 2004 model the C5 Z06. C6 Z06 won't hit the streets until this Summer.

Viperized

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Becuase That's not what a Viper is all about. The birth of the Viper was a moderen day Shelby Cobra, bare essential, no creature comforts and fast as hell. If you want a smooth ride, better interior trim, traction control, etc. Buy a Corvette. But as it seems now you can have you're cake and eat it too w/ the C6 Z06.

OK, how about just the traction control(you can always turn it off if you want a merry go round ride) and axe the run flats?

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time will tell, but it looks like DC has given up on the Viper. It is a huge black eye to go to the Detroit Auto Show and have nothing to counter the Z06. In addition, DC clearly put more time and money into the Firepower! concept than the Viper Coupe.

The price difference will be probably $15K or more higher for the Viper, yet the likely performance nod has to go to the Z06. The only reason to buy the Viper is purely subjective, such as liking the looks, relative exclusivity, or being a loyal Viper buyer. That is not going to work with very many people, especially when each buyer will have to think about the excuses they have to make about their brand new $80+K car.

And talking about modifying the Viper to beat the Z06 is every bit as lame as the Mustang owners' battle cry in response to the Viper.

It is a sad day for the Viper.

Viper
R.I.P

Long live AMG - DC's performance icon

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Time will tell, but it looks like DC has given up on the Viper. It is a huge black eye to go to the Detroit Auto Show and have nothing to counter the Z06.

On the contrary. I just returned from the show, and it was amazing to see 3 to 4 rows of excited (yes, excited!) individuals staring at the Coupe. I spent 4 hours comparing the Coupe "crowds" to the Z06 "crowds" and there was never a time when the Z06 carousel was as crowded as the Coupe.

I'd put the Z06 "crowd factor" at a 7

and the coupe "crowd factor" at a 9

Chris, can you confirm this?

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a sad day for the Viper.

Viper
R.I.P

Sadly, I agree. I was at NAIAS for supplier days and I found myself thinking "sure, it's more exclusive and looks better (I don't like the Z06 styling much), but how the heck can they justify $85K vs $65K for the same performance?" the only appeal there is the same as the Panoz and Mangusta buyers; for example, I can see someone buying a Ferrari over a Corvette even though it's slower and more expensive because it's a Ferrari. I can't see people doing that for a Viper.

The Viper has always been the stonking performance king; when I bought mine, only the GT2 and Lambo Murc were faster. Within 24 months, there were more than 10 cars that are faster/higher HP, and as far as the "upgrade" to 500hp... Motor Trend did an article about top 10 high HP machines. Viper wasn't on the list. SL/CL65 was though.

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best in Show
2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
The pre-show hubbub played out like a prime-time soap opera (minus the catfight in a fountain), with the scene an Internet rife with leaked photos and rumored power figures, while the specter of goon squads and lawsuits provided the subplot. Yet all the commotion this 21st-century cyber-drama could conjure failed to quash the excitement that bubbled over the crowd when the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 finally rolled across that Detroit stage, especially when accompanied by the deafening roar of a Ron Fellows-piloted matching yellow C6-R in full racing livery. If you've been keeping an eye on this space, then you know the details by now: 500 hp from a 7.0-liter bored and stroked Chevy small-block LS7 V8 (can you say 427-cid?), 475 lb-ft of torque with 11:1 compression; dry-sump lubrication; CNC-ported heads; six-bolt main bearing caps; titanium con-rods and forged-steel crank; Tremec six-speed manual transmission; composite and carbon fiber body panels; hydroformed aluminum frame with aluminum and magnesium chassis bits; 12-inch-wide rear tires and just 3130 pounds at the curb for roughly $65,000. Try buying any Ferrari for that kind of coin, let alone ask one to prance to 60 mph in just 3.5 seconds (remember, the $670,000 Enzo Ferrari is no longer in production). Put another way, the price of just one Porsche Carrera GT will get you six Z06s. Hows that for a Best in Show argument?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best in Show
2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
The pre-show hubbub played out like a prime-time soap opera (minus the catfight in a fountain), with the scene an Internet rife with leaked photos and rumored power figures, while the specter of goon squads and lawsuits provided the subplot. Yet all the commotion this 21st-century cyber-drama could conjure failed to quash the excitement that bubbled over the crowd when the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 finally rolled across that Detroit stage, especially when accompanied by the deafening roar of a Ron Fellows-piloted matching yellow C6-R in full racing livery. If you've been keeping an eye on this space, then you know the details by now: 500 hp from a 7.0-liter bored and stroked Chevy small-block LS7 V8 (can you say 427-cid?), 475 lb-ft of torque with 11:1 compression; dry-sump lubrication; CNC-ported heads; six-bolt main bearing caps; titanium con-rods and forged-steel crank; Tremec six-speed manual transmission; composite and carbon fiber body panels; hydroformed aluminum frame with aluminum and magnesium chassis bits; 12-inch-wide rear tires and just 3130 pounds at the curb for roughly $65,000. Try buying any Ferrari for that kind of coin, let alone ask one to prance to 60 mph in just 3.5 seconds (remember, the $670,000 Enzo Ferrari is no longer in production). Put another way, the price of just one Porsche Carrera GT will get you six Z06s. Hows that for a Best in Show argument?

Don't forget the motor that was in the show inthe coupe was the SRT/10 05 motor since the 06 coupe motor is not ready yet its still in the "concept" stage but will be in the coupe when its in dealerships all around the world BTW it WILL be 600HP.

and now DC has seen chevys hand so believe me the vette fans will be let down, however for the money and the power you get the vette will have to be one of the best bang for the bucks out here just NOT king of the hill.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will beleive it when I see it. If a Z06 goes by a new SRT on 1/4 mile and top speed, only then will I be be saddened that the Dodge Viper has fallen by the wayside....But not until...Armchair calculations dont mean dick in the real world...00PROWLER...

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will beleive it when I see it. If a Z06 goes by a new SRT on 1/4 mile and top speed, only then will I be be saddened that the Dodge Viper has fallen by the wayside....But not until...Armchair calculations dont mean dick in the real world...00PROWLER...

Good call

and with the Roe S/C I saw you have at Chucks that time you have NOTHING to worry about.

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man,..cant we all get along? The SRT 10 is here today and a great car (like all the Vipers). The new Z06 is going to be a great car as well. By year end we will start getting a feel (because the production Z will be available) in terms of how the cars compete on the race track. On the street (and perhaps representative of the vast majority of Viper and Z owners) I think it comes down to the "look" of the car which is of course so subjective. Sounds like the Z however will be at least $15k or so under the Viper price. All depends on what you like to look at and what you feel like spending. Its going to be fun come year end thats for sure.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man,..cant we all get along? The SRT 10 is here today and a great car (like all the Vipers). The new Z06 is going to be a great car as well. By year end we will start getting a feel (because the production Z will be available) in terms of how the cars compete on the race track. On the street (and perhaps representative of the vast majority of Viper and Z owners) I think it comes down to the "look" of the car which is of course so subjective. Sounds like the Z however will be at least $15k or so under the Viper price. All depends on what you like to look at and what you feel like spending. Its going to be fun come year end thats for sure.

I agree

Did you have to use the old Rodney king saying?? well kinda his was more like this.......................

Ouch ohhhh awww ewww ouwwwwwwwww cant wwwe alll jusss ouch eww stop it hurts ouwwwww get along ouchhhhhhhhhh

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best in Show

Don't forget the motor that was in the show inthe coupe was the SRT/10 05 motor since the 06 coupe motor is not ready yet its still in the "concept" stage but will be in the coupe when its in dealerships all around the world BTW it WILL be 600HP.

and now DC has seen chevys hand so believe me the vette fans will be let down, however for the money and the power you get the vette will have to be one of the best bang for the bucks out here just NOT king of the hill.

Any PROOF where it states it will be 600hp??? Until then, it's a pipe dream plain and simple.

As far as the C6 Z06 not being the King of the Hill, atleast for this year they will be provided the #'s on the Z06 are correct. Simple HP to weight ratio and the SRT10/SRT coupe has the short end of the stick.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best in Show

Any PROOF where it states it will be 600hp??? Until then, it's a pipe dream plain and simple.

As far as the C6 Z06 not being the King of the Hill, atleast for this year they will be provided the #'s on the Z06 are correct. Simple HP to weight ratio and the SRT10/SRT coupe has the short end of the stick.

Mopar426 maybe you should change your name to chevy427 because every single time you post it seems to be putting the viper down in one form or another.

I have it on good authority that the coupe WILL be released with 600hp is there any proof it is no?? do you have any proof that it wont have 600hp??

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good call

and with the Roe S/C I saw you have at Chucks that time you have NOTHING to worry about.
I know Stugots, but I dont want to see any Viper get trounced by a Vette...It ain't right :( :( :( :( It was nice meeting you at Tators...00PROWLER...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude