08 ACR Exhaust Recommendations After No-Go on Hennesey Unit

SerpensMaximus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a Hennesey cat-back exhaust for my 08 ACR and have decided to return it. I was under the impression I would be getting an engineered system for my $1,400+, but rather, got a magnaflow muffler with some stainless tubing welded to it. The fact they forgot to include the necessary mounting hardware and adapters - unfortunately noticed after havng removed the side panels on the car - made things even worse. Notwithstanding, I am in no way incinuating that Henessey's products are not up to standard. But rather, I don't believe that in this particular application [exhaust] you get a proper ratio of price vs. quality. My interest in an afermarket exhaust is merely aural as any increase in horsepower be it 5bhp or 15bhp on this car is marginal. I wasn't able to hear the exhaust but after seeing the quality vs. the factory titanium unit - I don't care to.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a cat back corsa .. a few members have one installed although they are not as common as the belanger header/cat/exhaust system...call partsrack , he knows all the options

Reaction score
We also offer through Lou Belanger the option of deleting his header back which is Magnaflow based also and getting special Corsa hookups with repositioned cats and sensor ****. This will allow you to hook up the track system for a crisper exhaust note and better flow all around IMHO.

[email protected] for questions or you all know my cell number :D.

Reaction score
Factory mufflers are nowhere near Titanium, and yes we have a way to hook them up if that is what you would want to stick with although I would not.

If the OE mufflers are Ti, can we keep them and hook up Belangers to them? Anyone know the inside diameter of the stockers?

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just fyi grant....i was a bit skiddish about the magnaflow exhaust on the belanger sysytem but the sound and lack of drone have been excellent

the corsa does have an excellent reputation with gen 3 owners

[media]http://classifieds.viperclub.org/data/47/large/08_headers_and_exhaust1.jpg[/media]
[media]http://classifieds.viperclub.org/data/47/large/08_headers_and_exhaust3.jpg[/media]

woosch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also offer through Lou Belanger the option of deleting his header back which is Magnaflow based also and getting special Corsa hookups with repositioned cats and sensor ****. This will allow you to hook up the track system for a crisper exhaust note and better flow all around IMHO.

[email protected] for questions or you all know my cell number :D.

What do the Corsa's sound like? I was never a fan of them on the vettes, sounded too outboard motor like.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please tell me you go your money back upon returning the exhaust.Years ago HMS would take a stock gen 2 Borla system weld on bigger tips and call it their own for more money of coarse.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

They cannot endorse it of course so you will inherit the risk of it causing any problems. We have never had issues though so I am confident offering it as an option. As with everything we install I try to support the modifications as much as I can with the assurance that I will be there to help if there is a problem. I can't take on all the responsibility but will certainly be well equipped to help more than most.

What is Chrysler's position on what the addition of the Belanger exhaust system does to the Viper's factory warranty?

Reaction score
The controller will more than likely work good with the Belangers but I would not hold your breath for it anytime soon. Enjoy the power the Belangers will give you. The OR controller may also be missing some functions that the street unit has like A/C control etc.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse put the full Belangers on my '08 ACR and I love it. Very, very fast and he bellows like a demon down the front straight at WOT. He also does 45 degree spins in 2nd if you don't have the foot throttle modulation just right. Tons of fun.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on anything being warrantied on an ACR...do what you want and enjoy it. Pay to play baby.:headbang: I think that Corsa looks cheap with the short tubes and all the brackets. The Belanger is prob the same. Looks like something that will leak down the road. I would put long tubes on there, with 5-1 collectors, custom made if thats the only option. Put up some pics of the Hennessey system. Let us judge it.

I think the opinions on here are from a stand up guy, but what other systems has he actually installed or heard? Its a valid question if you are going to take someone's word for how something sounds. Get on the net and listed to some video clips. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Belanger system pictured above looks like the same system I put on my 2006 coupe ..... and had to put the crossover back on to get it quiet enough ..... to drive - major drone.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I talked to John Hennesey about two months ago on an upgrade for my 06. Gave me an outragious price. I checked out his reputation and past problems and current problems. He offered to send me a plane ticket to check out his facility and offered no cash down on a service. It seems that if you are not in Texas, you are taking a risk. The cars that do seem to turn out well, turn out well. The ones that don't, oh well. As at least for my opinion, for whatever it's worth, one should put down the check book and step away from the Hennesey.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Belanger system pictured above looks like the same system I put on my 2006 coupe ..... and had to put the crossover back on to get it quiet enough ..... to drive - major drone.

i have yet to hear any complaints about the sound of the 08 belanger system....imho the sound is just right and their is no drone....

As u can see from all the posts no system is gonna please everyone.......However if installed by an experienced installer the 08 belanger system so far seems to be trouble free(don't even need heat shields), adds great sound and hp, and u even loose a few pounds....

Reaction score
Five into one headers will give you big numbers on top but nothing where you want it, in the midrange. The Belangers are the ONLY game in town that can give you the best of both! You can say and think what you want but the Belangers have a real track record as the power kings and the fit and finish are second to none... IMHO anyway FWIW.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one has mentioned changing out the OE double cat's for single HF cats. It will get you some HP gain, increase your exhaust volume and save you some $. Just noting it as an alternative.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five into one headers will give you big numbers on top but nothing where you want it, in the midrange. The Belangers are the ONLY game in town that can give you the best of both! You can say and think what you want but the Belangers have a real track record as the power kings and the fit and finish are second to none... IMHO anyway FWIW.

Mark, does this comment apply to Gen2 (2002) also? Thanks

wirepaladin08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

They cannot endorse it of course so you will inherit the risk of it causing any problems. We have never had issues though so I am confident offering it as an option. As with everything we install I try to support the modifications as much as I can with the assurance that I will be there to help if there is a problem. I can't take on all the responsibility but will certainly be well equipped to help more than most.

My concern is that Chrysler would take the position that the Belanger exhaust system's installation on the car voids the warranty on the vehicle -- period. I take it from your comment that at least Chrysler doesn't take that position. Is that correct?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay I have been on the road today. The Belangers will always give you the best gains under the curve where you drive the most. Lou has designed them for this and this has always been important to him (and us!).

Mark, does this comment apply to Gen2 (2002) also? Thanks

Reaction score
If you read the ACR warranty it doesn't take much to void its warranty anyway. If you use the car at all for what it was intended for. It will be a gamble on the regular 08's but I feel it is a safe one IMO.

My concern is that Chrysler would take the position that the Belanger exhaust system's installation on the car voids the warranty on the vehicle -- period. I take it from your comment that at least Chrysler doesn't take that position. Is that correct?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, you are a pretty good salesman for LB, but the Hennessey Viper ACR wasn't exactly hurting for power in the OLA. And he was running long tubes with 5/1's. Just a FYI, in case you missed it. I'm not dissin' ya, just an observation. The ONLY game in town? Now, IMHO, the best way to find out who is King is to line em up and run em. I'll put my money on the Hennessey's. How many top speed shootouts has he won? LOL. As for looks, some people think welds look cheaper than bolts and brackets, and hey, if that's what you like, enjoy your Belangers. ;)

Last edited: