08 ACR Exhaust Recommendations After No-Go on Hennesey Unit

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some pics and a sound clip of the Belanger system on my 2008 for those who are interested. I have been very pleased with the sound and performance benefits of this system (appr. 20 lbs weight savings, reduced heat, appr. 50 rear wheel horsepower gain):

Belanger_Mopar_2008_Headers_01.JPG

Belanger_Mopar_2008_Headers_03.JPG

Belanger_Mopar_2008_Headers_04.JPG

YouTube - 2008 Viper with Belanger Headers and Exhaust (External)

Hope this helps.

/Rich

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Belangers will always give you the best gains under the curve where you drive the most. Lou has designed them for this and this has always been important to him (and us!).

Thanks Mark, my car will never be the fastest on top so I want mods that bump the fun while daily driving.

And yes, there is a sour grapes element to this....if a Roe is under the tree this Christmas I will certainly chase the top end.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a cat back corsa .. a few members have one installed although they are not as common as the belanger header/cat/exhaust system...call partsrack , he knows all the options

For '08, Corsa Track and STOCK CATS is the way to go. 200% better sound than stock, little or no "drone" and spirited but NOT overly loud sound. Again, I highly recommend NOT changing the CATS!

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burns Stainless collectors are VERY impressive on the Hennessey Headers!

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there a general consensus as to which exhaust works best with the Belanger headers on an '08? Corsa, Magnaflow or anything else considering sound, drone and horsepower gains? Is there any accurate unbiased dyno data to backup the claims of horsepower increases? The Belanger headers above look pretty nice. Thanks in advance.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a general consensus as to which exhaust works best with the Belanger headers on an '08? Corsa, Magnaflow or anything else considering sound, drone and horsepower gains? Is there any accurate unbiased dyno data to backup the claims of horsepower increases? The Belanger headers above look pretty nice. Thanks in advance.

Yes, there is a thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...-2008-viper-without-belanger-exhaust-kit.html

Looks like even with only 30 miles on the system before the ECU had time to adjust and reclaibrate for the Belangers, the Belanger system was adding about 50 rear wheel hp on a Mustang dyno. So a little over 60 crank hp? I imagine after driving with the system for 500 + miles tou might see some gains approaching 70 crank hp.

/Rich

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, there is a thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...-2008-viper-without-belanger-exhaust-kit.html

Looks like even with only 30 miles on the system before the ECU had time to adjust and reclaibrate for the Belangers, the Belanger system was adding about 50 rear wheel hp on a Mustang dyno. So a little over 60 crank hp? I imagine after driving with the system for 500 + miles tou might see some gains approaching 70 crank hp.

/Rich

Thanks and great results! Did you ever bring the car back to Wong's to get the "after" results on their dyno? Also, did you consider the Corsa exhaust system and, if so, what did you like about the Magnaflows?

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i considered the corsa for the 08 when i had the belanger headers(with magnaflow exhaust) installed but it was not available at that time... in retrospect i'm glad the corsa was not available because i couldn't be happier with the belanger system.... EVEN the tips look way better than the corsa did on my 03
PICT0157.jpg

V1.JPG

V11.JPG

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this picture is the tips on the corsa ,,,, they are polished on the inside so they only stay clean for a day or two ... on the other hand the belanger tips never need cleaning

103.JPG

Reaction score
Belanger exhaust = deeper, Corsa exhaust = crisper. We have always seen a increase with the Corsa systems because of the less restriction and the fact that their technology actually helps scavenging. I personally have always loved the sound also.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i considered the corsa for the 08 when i had the belanger headers(with magnaflow exhaust) installed but it was not available at that time... in retrospect i'm glad the corsa was not available because i couldn't be happier with the belanger system.... EVEN the tips look way better than the corsa did on my 03
PICT0157.jpg

V1.JPG

V11.JPG

Corsa tips for '08 look the same as your Belanger exhaust tips.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That sounds beautiful. One of the best sounding Vipers Ive heard.

While looking at this on that Youtube link I also saw this Fastlane Header and exhaust setup. Sounds deeper and a little meaner on the 08 than the Belangers. Dont know anything about FastLane though but maybe an alternative? Heres the link.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J7DNo7AJEY&feature=related[/media]

Last edited:

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe I'm getting old, but that Fastlane video looks scary as hell with the driver running out the Viper on what appears to be nothing more than some type of modified lift with the hood up and the door open! :crazy2:

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's what would be known as a chassis dyno. You put the car on it, lift it to the dyno roller, and back the wheels onto it, then strap it down. You just can't see the straps holding the back end down in the video.

I admit, in that video he seems a tad forward on the roller but not by much.

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Belanger system and think its great. Definitely more drone, but with the drone comes the power. Well worth it,

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea why anyone would use Hennessey considering the Quality Tuners that support this forum. We recently had a problem with Hennessey blowing up on Viper Alley. After discussions of his numerous lawsuits and members coming forward John went back to marketing and playing salesman. Trash Talking from someone that we are reviewing numerous complaints on was probably not the best approach for John & especially on the Alley.

In Texas you have ART who is by far the best Texas tuner. In Florida you have DLM. Doug has forgot more about Vipers then most will ever know. The list goes on & on with great tuners. Next time if you are not sure please ask around before making a major purchase. This forum has been a great tool for both learning and sharing information.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to the above (dont know if its true or not) but am told in most cases Hennessey Headers and exhaust on an 08 will throw a check engine light (which in turn could open up pandoras box as far as factory warranty ect )

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some pics and a sound clip of the Belanger system on my 2008 for those who are interested. I have been very pleased with the sound and performance benefits of this system (appr. 20 lbs weight savings, reduced heat, appr. 50 rear wheel horsepower gain):

Belanger_Mopar_2008_Headers_01.JPG

Belanger_Mopar_2008_Headers_03.JPG

Belanger_Mopar_2008_Headers_04.JPG

YouTube - 2008 Viper with Belanger Headers and Exhaust (External)

Hope this helps.

/Rich

For reference here is a picture of the Hennessey Headers.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the hms headers throw a check engine light .(Told it was 50-50 ).If so what happens?

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about kooks or B&B headers? I haven't heard any reviews in regards to either of them.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the Ballangers are the only ones that will not produce a code resulting in a check engine light on the 08s.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No big deal at all providing you would like to keep your factory warranty on a near 100000 car .Should a check engine light occur as a result of an aftermarket add on performance part alot of times you can kiss the factory warranty goodbye.In all likelhood your resale suffers big time to -who wants to buy a car without a warranty with a che light on.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im sorry but what is drone? i hear it alot associated with vipers and diesels too.
Drone is a constant and sometimes loud resonating sound created by the exhaust system which usually occurs at certain RPMs, usually right about at normal cruise RPMs. Usually more of a concern for those that take longer trips in their car than those who just useit to blast around town on a Saturday night.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS warranty wise its so bad now that Dodge has been threatening to take factory warrantys on ACRs by just running them on a roadcoarse without a warranty claim involved. (A while ago John B had an excellent post about this )These are expensive cars and Dodge does not have the financial where with all it used to have so the customer had better know the reprecussions about doing things even small bolt ons.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not correct-they will.
Thats funny Woodhouse is claiming no problems at all (they dealer install alot of them )Lou Ballanger himself said if they are installed properly =no light.Do you have first hand info on such topic ?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

They cannot endorse it of course so you will inherit the risk of it causing any problems. We have never had issues though so I am confident offering it as an option. As with everything we install I try to support the modifications as much as I can with the assurance that I will be there to help if there is a problem. I can't take on all the responsibility but will certainly be well equipped to help more than most.
Tiger please tell me where you got your info from