0W40 VS 10W30 Oil

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Are most RT and GTS owners switching from 10W30 to 0W40 synthetic mobil 1 oil. I know the new vipers come with 0W40 from the factory.

I am assuming its better then the 10W30,,, is it better for our generation of viper to switch to 0W40.

Thanks

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend 0W-40 in all Vipers, with the exception of 15W-50 in some extreme situations.

Dan, what are the extreme situations. I'm in the south and tracking the car in August with 100 degree air temps and 140 degree track temps caused me to think about using 15W 50 M1 for just that weekend. Someone told me it was a stupid idea so I put the 15W 50 back on the shelf. When do you recommend its use?:usa:

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have a C6 Z06 in the fleet with the 08 Viper Coupe.Would 0w40 be better in the C6Z06 than the 10w30 thats in it now ? If anyone knows.Thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan, what are the extreme situations. I'm in the south and tracking the car in August with 100 degree air temps and 140 degree track temps caused me to think about using 15W 50 M1 for just that weekend. Someone told me it was a stupid idea so I put the 15W 50 back on the shelf. When do you recommend its use?:usa:

For starters, the biggest applications for 15W-50 in a broad sense would be engines built with larger oil clearances (high performance builds), engines with wear (also "large" clearances), or engines that will see very high temps at high loads for long periods of time, risking oil film strenth inadequacies from localized or global overheating. A heavier weight oil will provide a thicker oil film at a given temp, a larger safety margin if you will.

For your application, being a hot track, hot lapping for extended periods of time- I would say you have nothing to lose in switching to the 15W-50 for the day, and only extra safety to gain. The only downsides of 15W-50 would be using it in cold weather [and even the SRT's can get away with this as long as it isnt excessively cold due to their oil/coolant heat exchanger never letting the oil drop below the thermostat temp], or in an engine with such tight oil clearances it cannot adequately flow... and the Viper isnt one of them, even OEM.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Running at colder temps in August isn't a problem 'round here...I may use it just for the weekend (I always change the oil right before and right after a track weekend).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery