10k miles and clutch is about done?????? what the heck

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so like it says my 08 gts blue viper has 10k miles on it and the clutch feels like its gone and its not a i think its the fluid its i can put it in 6th at 40 and put the lead down and it jumps rpms like an automatic. (had an 88 mr2 that the clutch was shot) same feeling???????? help please im a newb to this high hp stuff lol i don't smoke my clutch either ( well i drag it) but its not a clutch out if that makes since. if its a line issue thats fine if not where do i get annother? help thx in advance

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I would do is change the clutch fluid, if that doesn't help, then I would tend to agree with plumcrazy....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the clutch is bad at 10K and it was properly installed in the first place then it's your driving that needs to be fixed first, then replace the clutch. I don't have any experience with the new clutches but the GenII clutches will last well over 100,000 miles if driven properly.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a neighbor who would go through clutches about every 15k miles (mustang). Trust me, it was his driving. At every stop light he would take off quickly, slipping the clutch a bit for maximum acceleration.

I have a friend who sold his car (honda) with 260k miles on it, and it still had the original clutch. Was the clutch made of something magical? Nope, it was my friend's driving. He would grunt off the line with minimal slippage and would shift into each gear so smoothly you'd swear it was an automatic tranny.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on your "about me" data, it would appear to be your driving. No flame intended. We were all 19 once. You might want to have an older, more experienced driver ride with you to watch how you use the clutch. You may be able to use the car the way you want to with less stress on the clutch.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok i knew that i was going to get hammered on for the 40 in 6th and the 10k clutch biz. nature of the beast. i put over 100k mi on my 88 mr2 and at 115k the clutch started to go bad. same w my turbo 1.8vw had 280whp clutch never went bad. and my 04 r32 w 480hp. never went bad but it had a bad ass clutch in it and im not lying it was 480 went 11.28 in the quarter but was set up for road course and auto cross. i bought the viper with 4k miles on it seamed to be a lil loose (clutch that is) but i didn't think any thing of it beings as the first time i had driving a "viper". i was curious if it was a normal thing for the clutch to burn out after 10k miles or if something had happened. and my driving ( start i don't ride the clutch shift to 2nd easy out but no gas on it same all the way through. the 40 in 6th was to c if it realy was slipping because i tried it in 3rd on my road (chip and seal) and it sorta sliped thought it could have spun so i went to 6th where the would be no power at all at that speed and it was at like 600 rpm or something hammered down and it reved way up. hope that clears my name a lil bit

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease...

Take a freaking ENGLISH AND GRAMMAR CLASS!!!

You might get a little more respect by simply writing in such a fashion that it doesn't hurt the brain to read it :rolaugh:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually Nemo,
the way you described it is exactly how I knew my clutch(s) had gone bad. I have done probably a half dozen or more(my own and friends). When the RPM rises when you're accelerating in either 5th or 6th, it's time has come.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others stated. You can burn a clutch out of a brand new car in 10 minutes... OR, you can get 200k miles out of a clutch. It all the driving..

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who did you buy the car from? Maybe it was their driving that wore it out, wasn't an SRT track experience car was it?

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually Nemo,
the way you described it is exactly how I knew my clutch(s) had gone bad. I have done probably a half dozen or more(my own and friends). When the RPM rises when you're accelerating in either 5th or 6th, it's time has come.

thx thats what i wanted to know. lol its kind of funny that im supposed to be the immature one being 20 now as of sat. but guess not. do you have any idea as to where you can buy an aftermarket clutch/ flywheel? i have been looking but haven't found anything for the gen 4. maybe its my driving thats keeping me from finding one? who knows

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who did you buy the car from? Maybe it was their driving that wore it out, wasn't an SRT track experience car was it?

it was a trade to Woodhouse. it had 4083 miles on it an now it has close to 11000 miles on it. the guy that bought it traded for an 09 purple. and as the story goes from what i was told when he traded he had a nick in one of the wheels that was going to be 300 dollars to fix. he said thats just unethical to trade a car in with a nick take the wheels from my 09 and put them on my trade. so i had brand new wheels and tires when i got it.

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so sure thats what he swapped wheels--because we all know all buyers and sellers of cars are the most ethical upstanding group of people in the world!! let me guess-the 09 had hspokes

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease...

Take a freaking ENGLISH AND GRAMMAR CLASS!!!

You might get a little more respect by simply writing in such a fashion that it doesn't hurt the brain to read it :rolaugh:

No kidding. I can barely read the crap. Why should we put any time into helping someone who doesn't put any effort into proper writing.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im sorry for not speaking correctly. But I have a simple solution. DON'T READ IT IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. I don't understand? I asked how to tell if a clutch is shot, and or where to get one. My answer (from most) your driving, take english class, take grammar class. I figured that people with a passion for cars would help one another not lecture on ones english and spelling skills.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sorry for not speaking correctly. But I have a simple solution. DON'T READ IT IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. I don't understand? I asked how to tell if a clutch is shot, and or where to get one. My answer (from most) your driving, take english class, take grammar class. I figured that people with a passion for cars would help one another not lecture on ones english and spelling skills.

Um. Nemo. The point of you writing on this forum is for people to read it. Deal with that. And a person finds out during the process of reading it that it can't be understood, not from some pre-engagement red flag stating "this is written in stupid talk" or similar. Deal with that.

Moral of story 1: Dave usually wins matches of wit or logic.

Moral of story 2: Reading is a gift. Please don't mess with ours.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take it too hard. People here will sometimes jump on anything. Some are used to other sites, where proper punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are mandatory so people whose first language is not English can understand. This is still the best place to find help.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand where you both are coming from and (dave you win) I don't realize some times I'm not talking to buddies on Facebook where we talk "shortcut" so i appoligize ( and i can't spell thanks to my high school/ grade schooling lol) but before this thread gets jacked to hard do they even make aftermarket clutch's / flywheels for the gen 4's?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take it too hard. People here will sometimes jump on anything. Some are used to other sites, where proper punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are mandatory so people whose first language is not English can understand. This is still the best place to find help.

What site is that? And yes, I jump on my freedom to speak English not like-uh-da Hillbilly. Press 2 for some other language.

Thank you all for helping my post count for today.

:notworthy: