10k miles and clutch is about done?????? what the heck

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jesus, reading this thread makes me think I'm in some sort of nightmare where everyone communicates to each other by text message, even though they're sitting at the same table. Oh, wait. That's what high schoolers waste their time doing in real life.

Nemo, I don't believe Dave is only picking on you. Like myself, he is probably tired of witnessing the perpetual dumbing-down of our society, and one of the key indicators of that trend is the ability to clearly communicate via the written word. You merely provided a perfect example; a springboard, if you will.

Maybe he was more blunt and sarcastic than he would have been in a face-to-face situation, but the key message is still the same: work on your spelling and grammar, and you will be more effective in your communications, which can definitely help you out in life. When I look at resumes, if they have even ONE spelling or grammar mistake, I throw it out. I figure, if they aren't even bothering to proofread their own resume, how meticulous can I expect them to ever be in a real job where they're playing with someone else's money?

Key indicators of the dumbing-down of society that drive me nuts:
1. Spelling "separate" as "seperate"
2. Spelling "definite" as "definate"
3. Using apostrophes to describe plural nouns (for example, "the boy's played in the pool's until their mom's told them to come in and eat their lunch's)
4. Driving in the left lane when not passing
5. Buying a house you can't afford because you're too stupid to calculate a budget
6. Electing a president that ******* Hollywood stars endorse

And I'm only 31 years old. Imagine how crotchety I'll be when I'm a grumpy old man!

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3. Using apostrophes to describe plural nouns (for example, "the boy's played in the pool's until their mom's told them to come in and eat their lunch's)
5. Buying a house you can't afford because you're too stupid to calculate a budget

I agree strongly with number 3, and I thought I was the only one affected by that. I am nearly 50 and I still have to think hard about "separate" and "definite". Usually I check the dictionary every time to avoid looking foolish, and I's an engineer.

Bob

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, I could not write 'engineer' - today I am an engineer!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...or your so board that you...

Jesus, reading this thread makes me think I'm in some sort of nightmare where everyone communicates to each other by text message, even though they're sitting at the same table. Oh, wait. That's what high schoolers waste their time doing in real life.

Nemo, I don't believe Dave is only picking on you. Like myself, he is probably tired of witnessing the perpetual dumbing-down of our society, and one of the key indicators of that trend is the ability to clearly communicate via the written word. You merely provided a perfect example; a springboard, if you will.

Maybe he was more blunt and sarcastic than he would have been in a face-to-face situation, but the key message is still the same: work on your spelling and grammar, and you will be more effective in your communications, which can definitely help you out in life. When I look at resumes, if they have even ONE spelling or grammar mistake, I throw it out. I figure, if they aren't even bothering to proofread their own resume, how meticulous can I expect them to ever be in a real job where they're playing with someone else's money?

And I'm only 31 years old. Imagine how crotchety I'll be when I'm a grumpy old man!

You missed two. :D

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, Idiocracy. Great movie. The sad (but true) documentary of the future. The movie is supposed to be a comedy, and although I laugh throughout it, I can't help but get depressed knowing that the world really is coming to that.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok! So the parts just came in yesterday for my clutch, and were finished being installed today. Good news right? WRONG!! We got a bad slave cylinder. The clutch won't let you go into first or reverse and is hard in the other gears. Going down the highway in 4th gear if you punch the gas the clutch hits your leg (or mine any ways), feels like its butter and (i)engages (don't know which spelling is correct) way way way too hard. Is there an adjustment or something? We blead the lines, put new fluid in..... nothing. Advise????

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clutch hits your leg when you punch the gas? Better seat belts?

Does clutch butter = no resistance to leg/foot pressure when pushing the clutch pedal?

What does your transmission fluid look like?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok! So the parts just came in yesterday for my clutch, and were finished being installed today. Good news right? WRONG!! We got a bad slave cylinder. The clutch won't let you go into first or reverse and is hard in the other gears. Going down the highway in 4th gear if you punch the gas the clutch hits your leg (or mine any ways), feels like its butter and (i)engages (don't know which spelling is correct) way way way too hard. Is there an adjustment or something? We blead the lines, put new fluid in..... nothing. Advise????

Not sure what is wrong, but I know this: if you can't put it in 1st or reverse, and the other gears are hard, there's enough wrong that you should not be going down the highway at all. Take it to an experienced Viper tech.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
probably have air in the system,if u had to remove the slave from the side of the tranny,and i dont mean break the hydr system,just unbolted it with the line attached,you can still get air in the system,you may have trapped air that needs the trick to the trade to remove it,you can crack the bleeder and get strait fluid and still have air in the system..

ILTTG

Viper Owner
Reaction score

lol S-JC, I'm amused at what a curmudgeon you are, though I agree with you 100%. I'm more terrified that someone with the kind of learning disability represented by this kind of written communication is driving a 600 horsepower car with no traction or stability control. Somebody buy this kid a corvette!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree completely. You missed a few more of the common mistakes though:
affect and effect
brake and break
infer
your and you're
grammar
grateful
and the number one is loose when they mean lose

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely. You missed a few more of the common mistakes though:
affect and effect
brake and break
infer
your and you're
grammar
grateful
and the number one is loose when they mean lose

... many of which can be found all over this site and written by otherwise intelligent individuals who are successful in their chosen field.

Bob

p.s. I spent 45 seconds writing this message, and more than five minutes making sure everything is correct.

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DAVE6666- yes it does feel like there is no resistance.?!

BLUESRT- how would I get the air out of the line if we blead it already? just flush the whole system?????

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not punch the gas just play with the pedal. like feather 400 rpms then off the on then off. does that make since?

The clutch hits your leg when you punch the gas? Better seat belts?

Does clutch butter = no resistance to leg/foot pressure when pushing the clutch pedal?

What does your transmission fluid look like?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DAVE6666- yes it does feel like there is no resistance.?!

BLUESRT- how would I get the air out of the line if we blead it already? just flush the whole system?????

not punch the gas just play with the pedal. like feather 400 rpms then off the on then off. does that make since?

If you have bled the system to your satisfaction then you may have a bad clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. Both of those would be consistent with difficult shifting or rough/hard engagement. We have to assume the clutch was installed properly.

If there is hardly any resistance with the clutch pedal at all then this is not a good test, but if it offers some then try this. Push down on the pedal with just enough force to feel it move and start to work against the pressure plate. Stop before pushing it all the way down. Hold your foot there and see if you can tell if over a few seconds or so it feels like it is getting softer. Of course you are pushing it again at that point so yes, it will eventually go to the floor.

Assuming you have no visible fluid leaks that test can tell you whether you have a MC or slave that is internally bypassing. Fluid going by the internal seals.

I still have no idea *** you are talking about when you say your foot is hitting the pedal when you play with the gas. That sounds um weird and maybe personal. :D

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok thats exactly what I wanted to hear. The mechanic called dodge and they said that they had heard of the mc being shot as well as the flywheel, clutch, and slave cylinder. So I have one on the way. Now for the clutch hitting my leg.

There is about an inch of play from where the clutch sits at full disengage to where it starts to provide some resisatance. When I'm on the highway my foot sits under the clutch and my leg rests just above the clutch. When I *** the throttle the clutch kicks back and touches my leg about an inch away. Does that explain it better?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clutch pedal should not move by forces other than pushing it with your foot. I would get the hydraulic issue solved first and then see whassup. How are your motor & tranny mounts?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not to say this is your problem but it could be,air sometimes gets caught in bends of the line,it will bleed clear stream and still have a small amount of air in the system,so if u think your pedal is at full stroke,small amount of top play,their could possibly be a very small amount of air in the system and still feel good,makeing it not so fun to stick in gear... just a thought for you, causei have seen this before..

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good god!!!!!!what if the disc is in backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:omg::crazy2:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good god!!!!!!what if the disc is in backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:omg::crazy2:

Is that in response to the symptom of the clutch pedal getting kicked back? I don't have enough experience to picture exactly how that would cause that symptom;but, I can imagine that the torsion springs would act backwards. They wouldn't absorb the shock when the clutch is engaged and would release energy when the clutch is disengaged, and give all sorts of weird symptoms on a high torque engine. Plus, the pressure plate or disk to flywheel might not be engaging properly due to interference from a disc being the wrong way around.

It sure sounds like a very plausible idea if the hydraulics check out !!

Is there any way he might be able to check that with the inspection plate removed ?

OP
OP
N

nemo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lol its idiot proof. There are alignment pins that only fit one way on the outer disc.......... or was that for the flywheel.... and then I remembered he told me the pads on the disc would only face out flywheel direction. I think, I will ask him tomorrow and see what he says to this. If its hydraulics the master cylinder would make perfect since and since we know its not disengageing all the way ( did i forget to mention that at idle with the clutch in it won't go into first or reverse?) could very well be the problem. I am as interested as every one else (or lack there of with some) to find out what is going on. O ps by the way none of this is covered under warrenty. thx again nemo

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thought about it some more, and maybe, given the viper's torque, a heavy duty clutch belt is needed:

You must be registered for see images attach

Heavy Duty Clutch Belt
A long time ago when the transmission began to slip, you'd know it was time for a rebuild. But! Rebuilds are costly, and half the time, not neccesary. What you may be experiencing is clutch-belt failure! KaleCoAuto heavy duty kevlar belts are made with the quality you can expect from KaleCoAuto. Please specify diameter and width of belt when ordering.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol its idiot proof. There are alignment pins that only fit one way on the outer disc.......... or was that for the flywheel.... and then I remembered he told me the pads on the disc would only face out flywheel direction. I think, I will ask him tomorrow and see what he says to this. If its hydraulics the master cylinder would make perfect since and since we know its not disengageing all the way ( did i forget to mention that at idle with the clutch in it won't go into first or reverse?) could very well be the problem. I am as interested as every one else (or lack there of with some) to find out what is going on. O ps by the way none of this is covered under warrenty. thx again nemo

it is possible to install the (disc) not the pressureplate- in wrong.but hopefully it is not..:)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also after the car sits overnight,trapped air will more than likely move to the end and will bleed out the last small amount that was trapped . these are just some helpful tips to try?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O ps by the way none of this is covered under warrenty. thx again nemo

Why not? It's an '08. The clutch wouldn't be covered but the master slave cylinder, and more importanly, the labor would be. You could have had a clutch job for the price of the part under the warranty.