170° Thermostat

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you who have the 170° or 180° thermostat, does you car actually run cooler? I know the engine will make more power at lower temps, but is it worth installing?

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 does, actually cool enough to throw a code and go into limp mode. The 08 utilizes a 185* Vs the traditional 195* thermostat.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most all of the previous generations benefit from the 172* thermostat when cruising. The swap is most beneficial when the PCM has been flashed.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2005 and 2006 both run significantly cooler under all conditions after I installed the 170 degree thermostat and the DC Performance upgraded computer. They tend to run about 175-180 on the gauge when going down the highway, and with the computer turning on the fan at lower engine temps, the water temp on the gauge never exceeds 190 in any type of normal driving.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that is actually what I was wondering. I run ~200 now. So it appears that they cooling system has the ability to keep it lower if the thermostat allows it.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2005 and 2006 both run significantly cooler under all conditions after I installed the 170 degree thermostat and the DC Performance upgraded computer. They tend to run about 175-180 on the gauge when going down the highway, and with the computer turning on the fan at lower engine temps, the water temp on the gauge never exceeds 190 in any type of normal driving.

What he said. I've got the DC Tune and 170 stat too.:2tu:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will in normal street driving but in extended higher rpm operations, no. If you have cooling problems, no. Think of the thermo as a gate for the liquid coolants. It does not extend the system's cooling capacity. By the way, you don't want to run too cool either. 200 degrees is a pretty optimal operating temperature, all things considered. I'm told a cooler engine will last longer but only up to a point.

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car made more power when it ran just a bit cooler.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 170 tstat only doesn't do much in and of itself. However, getting the PCM reflashed or an SCT tune that turns on the fan sooner combined with the t-stat does make a difference. I think its well worth it.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
like everyone is saying get the thermostat and dcperformance tune... car runs smoother

OP
OP
P

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wallbanger, I have both but neither are installed yet. Hope to do so this week.

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had my car tuned by DC yesterday. Prior to the tune they installed the lower temp thermostat and colder range plugs.

Prior to the work, car ran about 200 on both oil and coolant pretty consistently.

After DC tune and install of thermo, temps coming home yesterday were about 175-190 on coolant and 175-180 on oil. While it was a bit rainy and cold here in So Cal yesterday, I am not sure how much of an impact that would have on my motor running any cooler than usual considering the ride was a combo of traffic and highway driving back to San Diego from LA. I am guessing very little since the motor had time to get warmer in traffic.

The DC work performed including their tune was worth it to me based on my driving experience coming home. I would recommend doing this work as everyone else indicated.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 08 does, actually cool enough to throw a code and go into limp mode. The 08 utilizes a 185* Vs the traditional 195* thermostat.

All SRT-10's use a 185 from the factory. 195's were from Gen-1 and Gen-2.

No surprise on 08's though, they are very sensitive.

Last edited:

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think its pretty stupid that 08s are that sensitive considering how many viper owners are gearheads and how many owners mod their vipers even if only small mods...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The DC Performance tune combined with the 170 thermostat is a very good change. Car runs cooler, oil temps are lower and the car makes more power under the curve. Peak power will go up a bit but the increase in hp and tq over most of the power band are very positive.

Dan

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC's & AtRo's ECM Upgrade is a plug and play mod. We have DC custom program a new ECM to the modifications that have been done to your Viper. We use a new ECM so you can retain the old one for EMISSION TESTING and FOR WHEN YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOU VIPER INTO THE DEALER FOR WORK TO BE DONE. This is very important as the dealer has a bad habit of downloading any new updates into your car when it is in for service. If the dealer does this will overwrite the custom program. All you need to do is spend 20 minutes swapping the ECM's over when the car is cold.
170 DEGREE THERMOSTAT
You must be registered for see images

One thing you need to do before installing this upgrade program is to install a new 170 degree thermostat as the upgrade reprograms the temperature so that the fan comes on at a lower temperature and make it cycle longer. It is also very important to specify what gasoline octane is available in your area as this is also entered into the program.
This will also lower the A/C temperature inside your car by about 15 degrees.

BENEFITS OF REPROGRAMMING AND INSTALLING A NEW ECM
  • The car runs much smoother.
  • The car run quieter.
  • The engine temp, depending on the outside temperature, never gets above 180-185 Degrees.
  • The oil temp, depending on the outside temperature, never gets above 185-190 Degrees even with the A/C running.
  • The car is a hole lot cooler when the A/C is running as the engine coolant is cooler making the engine run cooler therefore you get cooler inside the car.
  • The car no longer has any popping when you let off on the gas. Now it has a nice deep rumble as the rpm's come back down.
  • The Viper will now have a vastly improved exhaust note making you think you changed the exhaust system.
  • The throttle response is WAY better than before. The car now jumps now when I give it the gas.
  • The engine revs MUCH quicker than before. The difference is amazing.
  • The car has a very smooth acceleration right to red line and is much smoother and sounds better than the stock ECM.
  • I have found that my fuel mileage has increased a little bit to.
  • The car has a lot more jump to it when cruising and flooring the gas. Same holds true for mid range acceleration.
  • We find that now you can drive in 5th gear or 6th gear the car really pulls when passing a slower car.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just call dc performance and they'll be happy to answer u're questions...cost varies depending on whether u send in u're own computer box or if they send u a new one

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960