180 thermostat

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr E:
Anyone replace their t-stat with the a 180? Is it worthwhile? . How do you account for the bigger difference between the thermostat opening temp and the fan temp?

I've always understood that excessive heat robs engines of horsepower, but these cars seem to like to run hotter than most

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will ONLY notice a decrease in temp when you're wide open on the highway or something. Under normal driving conditions, the temp will be exactly the same. I replaced mine w/ the 180 but it only works on the highway. If you buy the one from Mopar, it will need to be modified slightly because their was an issue with them not opening up, causing the Viper to overheat big time! So my viper tech had to drill a couple holes in mine before the install.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr E:
....Anyone replace their t-stat with the a 180? Is it worthwhile? . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont bother unless Intake manifold is off anyway

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King GTS:

If you buy the one from Mopar, it will need to be modified slightly because their was an issue with them not opening up, causing the Viper to overheat big time! So my viper tech had to drill a couple holes in mine before the install.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about this?

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THEMASH:
Are you sure about this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% positive because I initially went through a big ordeal with Archer Dodge about it. I then went to NW Dodge & Carlos (viper tech) told me that he knew all about it. I bought another one from him & he modified it. He said some work.....and some don't, so he just modifies all of them to be safe.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad you guys told me, i was about to put one on in a few days. Thanks
i hope my Viper tech can modify it

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THEMASH:
I am glad you guys told me, i was about to put one on in a few days. Thanks
i hope my Viper tech can modify it

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm positive he can. Mine told me it was simple. Just a matter of drilling a couple of holes to ensure opening.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does drilling a couple holes ensure the thang opens???

I thought the spring is heat sensitive, or something like that.

Tomer

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's "Stanton" and unless they have changed design it's buyer be warned.

I've helped pull out two Stanton t-stats out that got stuck in the closed position. They were not nearly as well engineered (robust) as the stock units. Ask Dan Cragin how many he's seen get stuck. But maybe they have changed design in the last year.

Caterpillar makes one that seems to hold up ok.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marv....I hear you are secretly designing a 160F thermostat for the Viper. A friend told me you are working late nights in your garage on this. Must be pretty high-tech. Is it true you are using an old Dodge Omni thermostat as a "core" for the project? Wow. Can I order one now??? I also heard you expect hp increases of up to 20-30-40+++. Wow. Be sure and keep us posted.