1996 gts voltage problems

rusty96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the battery and put in a new alternator and I'm having problems with the voltage not being where it should be. She will start up and run but the voltage keeps dropping. The car is running off the battery and the PCM isn't throwing any codes. Any ideas what it could be

Reaction score
I replaced the battery and put in a new alternator and I'm having problems with the voltage not being where it should be. She will start up and run but the voltage keeps dropping. The car is running off the battery and the PCM isn't throwing any codes. Any ideas what it could be
Yes, the car is running on the battery only. It appears you may have a problem with the PCM not providing charge. May I ask if you replaced the alternator with a rebuild or new? I can service the PCM if required.

Regards,
Doug

OP
OP
R

rusty96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a rebuilt one on that I got from O'Reillys auto parts. I did find out that the voltage regulator is in the pcm. Some one said I might need to get the pcm flashed. And that might fix the problem. Does that sound right.

Reaction score
I put a rebuilt one on that I got from O'Reillys auto parts. I did find out that the voltage regulator is in the pcm. Some one said I might need to get the pcm flashed. And that might fix the problem. Does that sound right.

Not really Chad, there's more to it than that. If you would like I can explain to you better via phone (if that's ok with you?).
954-434-9356 -Doug

SquadXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happen to me, twice. Was the PCM, even though im running a AEM. One of the boards was fried; got it replaced and no issue.

OP
OP
R

rusty96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Tampa, you also have a 96 blue/white. There doesn't seem to be to many left out there

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Another thing to check is the connection at the jump start terminal at the fuse box. If that gets loose all kinds of weird things can happen.

OP
OP
R

rusty96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally when the battery died I try to open up the door and when I pushed the door release button it started making a clicking noise because the battery was dead. So I disconnected the jump start terminal to kill the power to the car. Could that have anything to do with resetting the PCM or caused any other problems.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Tampa, you also have a 96 blue/white. There doesn't seem to be to many left out there

I wish i had seen this thread sooner. I have a spare 96 GTS computer and I was down in Florida for the board meetings and Rolex race recently, I would have gladly brought down to have you try it to see if it fixed your problem. Hindsight is 20/20.....sorry. Hope you get this resovled soon.

OP
OP
R

rusty96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help,she is up and running good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member