1996 GTS

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a dealer? Private? I bought mine (96' GTS) with 9,400 miles for 49,200 in Calfornia. Do you want to garage it? Collectors item? If you want to drive it a lot, buy something with a little more miles. If you want to buy it for investment purposes then 57-60k would be fair I think. (I got a deal! and yes they are hard to find. The place that sold me mine was their first Viper sale.) Anyone else out there get one this cheap(Did my homework).

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having put 42,000 miles in 3 years on my 97 GTS, I agree with Wayne. Anyone with a 96 Viper with only 400 miles really doesn't deserve to own it.

That said, in answer to your question "What should I expect to pay for a 96 with only 400 miles?", my answer is "Too Much!" Having participated in a 96-97 GTS search with a couple of friends, it is my experience that the owners of low-mileage cars expect an unrealistic amount of money for their cars. If I were buying a 96 or 97, I'd be looking for a clean car with somewhere between 7000 and 15000 miles and a transferable extended factory warranty (good for 7 yrs/50000 miles) that I could purchase in the low to mid $50's. That's purchasing a car from a private owner; dealers will be considerably higher (at least +$5K). If you do the work and look around, you can find excellent cars at that price range. (You can also find not-so-excellent cars at that price range.) Obviously, buying a car from someone local or close by has its advantages -- it's up to you to put a value on that.

Enlist the help of someone in your local VCA region, if you have questions about Vipers in general. And definitely have a Viper Tech or some knowledgable mechanic check your potential purchase out before you consummate the deal.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was searching for a GTS, 96-98 about a couple weeks ago and noticed that most of them were overpriced at 55k to 60k thinking that they were ALREADY collectors items now and not waiting for 20-30 yrs down the line. I ran across MANY, yes MANY in the 53k range to 48k range. Most of them had anywhere from 9k miles to about 21k miles. I finally settled on a 98 GTS w/ 5k miles for only 55k. The deals are out there all day long, you just have to do your research and not buy the 1st couple cars you come across.

Good Luck

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What should one expect to pay for a 1996 GTS-Blue/White with 400 miles, stock, and showroom condition?

Thanks

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All seriousness aside, I think it would only be fitting
to pay him the same as one with 70,000 miles on it!!
This guy does not deserve to own it anyhow. It should
be a MORTAL sin to make them garage queens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Depending on the vin#, that 400-mile 96 is PROBBALY in worse shape than a 10,000 miler! Seriously!

Call me for sharing concerns.....GREART car, but some bugs are likley still hidden in that "New" car

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that has replied.
As to why the car has only 400 miles, it's a very sad story-the owner died shortly after purchasing the car.
As far as the VIN I can't recall the exact number but it is in the high 600's. Car was originally purchased in Dec 1996. I know the people and the car. It has never been stored away, and has always been started on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4