2.72 Gears....

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking for 2.72 gears for my '04. I have a Quaife differential if that matters.

Thanks

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Kelly,

I am in plano too. I would love to get a ride in your car sometime.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That gear seems a bit high 3:07 is stock I have 3:73 and I also have 3:55 that I am going to install in a week or so.

G

grcforce327

That gear seems a bit high 3:07 is stock I have 3:73 and I also have 3:55 that I am going to install in a week or so.

Not for 220mph+ !Kelley try Ron Sr.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Won't your powerband be broad enough to allow 220 in 5th or 6th with the stock 3.07's?

If not, wouldn't going to deeper gearing (3.55's etc) be a better way to get your engine power to match your speed goals in 5th or 6th?

The stock gearing is good for 240 mph in 5th and 360 in 6th already!!

OP
OP
K

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Good idea.

And just to clarify. When I participated in the Texas Mile last October, I was topping out at 205.x mph in 5th. I don't think I would pick up any speed going to 6th with the factors in play at that speed. My choices are...change gears...change tranny ratios...or put the tallest tire available on stock rims. With 2.72 gears and my Pirelli 345-25-20's I will be set-up to go muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch faster than I will have the "sack" to. :headbang: The next thing I would need to add it a parachute.

G

grcforce327

Won't your powerband be broad enough to allow 220 in 5th or 6th with the stock 3.07's?

If not, wouldn't going to deeper gearing (3.55's etc) be a better way to get your engine power to match your speed goals in 5th or 6th?

The stock gearing is good for 240 mph in 5th and 360 in 6th already!!

You only have one mile to get there!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I participated in the Texas Mile last October, I was topping out at 205.x mph in 5th. I don't think I would pick up any speed going to 6th with the factors in play at that speed. My choices are...change gears...change tranny ratios....
Go with shorter 5th & 6th ratios in the tranny. You will love it and can do your top speed in 6th instead of 5th so you get a little more gear help as you close in on the mile finish as you will have one more shift to help keep you in the power band. I have .80 5th and .64 6th ratios and love having nice even steps all the way up the ratios instead of falling off a cliff for 5th and 6th. With 3.55 rear gears and shorter Gen II size tires redline in 6th is 200 mph in my car. Since my car would'nt get to 200, the gearing puts the real top speed right at the peak of the power band in 6th. BTW, I understand the shorter gears come from the Aston Martin version of the T56. Oh and just for reference I noted yesterday that 2,000 rpm in 6th in my car equals 65 mph.

OP
OP
K

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go with shorter 5th & 6th ratios in the tranny. You will love it and can do your top speed in 6th instead of 5th so you get a little more gear help as you close in on the mile finish as you will have one more shift to help keep you in the power band. I have .80 5th and .64 6th ratios and love having nice even steps all the way up the ratios instead of falling off a cliff for 5th and 6th. With 3.55 rear gears and shorter Gen II size tires redline in 6th is 200 mph in my car. Since my car would'nt get to 200, the gearing puts the real top speed right at the peak of the power band in 6th. BTW, I understand the shorter gears come from the Aston Martin version of the T56. Oh and just for reference I noted yesterday that 2,000 rpm in 6th in my car equals 65 mph.

I've looked into the 5-6 gear ratio change. When my transmission implodes, and it will with the power I'm making, I will change the ratios, polish and cryo everything.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my transmission implodes, and it will with the power I'm making, I will change the ratios, polish and cryo everything.
That is how I got into doing the shorter ratios. I sheered about half the teeth of the inboard side of my input shaft but was lucky enough to have a great T56 guy here in Phoenix. His standard rebuild is $1,550 but he ordered the short 5th & 6th from Rockland Gear in New York, turned a shaft a bit to get them in, and the 5th and 6th ended up costing me an extra $1,000. Not glad my tranny blew up, but made a very nice omelette out of some broken eggs. The car is SO MUCH nicer to drive with even stepped gears all the way. I really need to find a standing mile event to put them to full use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4