2.8L Roe, GG heads/cam Build thread

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After contemplating about going TT I decided I really like the simplicity of my Roe supercharger. Plus I didn’t want to drop that kind of money on the car right now. I was already planning on doing Greg Good heads/Cam so I figured while I was doing it I might as well upgrade my blower to the 2.8L. I will post up my progress and it might help someone in the future like other people’s “build” threads have helped me.

My current performance mods include: 2.4L Roe blower system (10lb), 50/50 **** injection, Belanger headers, high flow cats, Corsa cat back, Jesel rockers, VEC 2, 70 MM throttle bodies, Unitrax half shafts, and dual Walbro fuel pumps. The car dynoed at 630whp/670tq with a Sean Roe tune.

The mods I plan on doing this time around will be: Greg Good ported heads, Greg Good Comp Cam, Kenne Bell 2.8L blower, Woodhouse motor/transmission mounts, catch can breather system, JMB intake system, Arp head studs, AtI damper, Unitrax shaft loops, AB wires, SCT tune and 170 degree thermostat. I will probably also do the side sill rivet nut mod and have some parts powdercoated.

I’m not that active with doing write ups and such, but if you want a picture of something while the car is apart just let me know.

Colin

Pics to follow

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
2.4L(Polished) vs 2.8L (black).

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to your results. I would love to see you hit 775-800 RWHP. Are you going to have Greg port out the blower manifold too?

Good luck. :2tu:

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Interesting Build !!! Look forward to seeing the finished product ! Greg does great work ! :2tu:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most anyone has squeezed of a Roe system is around 750 rwhp (without juice). Hope you can top that.

Good luck.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to your results. I would love to see you hit 775-800 RWHP. Are you going to have Greg port out the blower manifold too?

Good luck. :2tu:

I'm going to have a local guy do the manifold. The local guy has done Viper heads before with good results. Greg has pretty much told me what needs to be ported and if my local guy can't do it then I'll send it to Greg. Yea I don't think I'll see much higher than 720rwp simply because the blower becomes a restriction and I'm sure IATs will be up there as well. It's a stock bottom end so I'm going to trust the tuner when it's all said and done.

I do want to modify the rear air box going into the blower. It seems very restrictive for even the stock 2.4L. Hopefully I can find someone local to fabricate a new one or modify the existing one.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I assumed I would be able to get the 5/16" engine coolant plug removal tool from a local store, not so much. I ordered the proper tool, but didn't want to wait so I decided to grind down a 3/8" extension. Worked fine, but I wish I hadn't wasted half the day looking for a tool.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Heads are off. Pretty straight forward. I zip tied the headers back out of the way. There is a lot more room on the drivers side vs passenger.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome thread. Make it epic with video when you are done!! I'd love to hear that blower cry!!

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock airbox VS my modified one. I made a template out of plexiglass for the flange then took it to a local machine shop for them to weld it together. Is it necessary? Probably not, but I didn't like the edge distance the stock one had when bolted up to the 2.8L. You can also see where the stock one blocks the lobes on the 2.4L.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im yet to see a 2.8 actually work and make gains over the 2.4. hope this one works out

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea it's gonna be hard to tell if the 2.8L helps with power considering I'll have better heads and cam installed as well. I figured with the better flowing heads the 2.8L is a better match(not the best) than the 2.4L.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock lower manifold vs ported. I had my local porter do it since he has done Viper heads in the past.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Degreed the cam yesterday. I got 111.75 once and 113 the second time using the intake centerline method. I got 4/49 when using the .050 intake method so I'm go with it. I also measure intake lobe lift and it matched the card. The tools I used were a Trick Flow wheel,Proform 66830 Cam Checking Fixture Kit, and Comp Cam Crankshaft socket 4798 (not the one for Chrysler vehicles). Pretty much the setup ViperTony used. I did have to bore the hole out on the degree wheel to fit the crank, so maybe a different one would be better. I also would not get the crankshaft socket unless the crank is keyed or has been cut for pins like mine. It has a set screw in it, but it won't work unless it has something to bite on. Did make getting TDC easier though.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting closer to finishing up my air-to-water intercooled ROE manifold. I had a few design changes as I was progressing. Should be pretty 'cool' when its completed.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting closer to finishing up my air-to-water intercooled ROE manifold. I had a few design changes as I was progressing. Should be pretty 'cool' when its completed.

Let me see it when you get done. One thing I don't like about this system is the lack of intercooling, but water **** helps plus I'm not going above 10PSI.

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finished installing the heads tonight. I went ahead and used ARP head studs. Prior to the stud installation I used a 1/2"-13 ARP thread chaser (not a tap) to make sure the threads were good and clean. Torqued them to 120ft lbs starting at 35ft lbs then 90 ft lbs all with ARP lube. Nice little workout!

Last edited:

Stahlhart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

did you used a sealant on the cometic cylinder head gaskets?

Greetings

Jürgen

OP
OP
S

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been awhile.. I've pretty much got everything back together with the exception of the catch can system,**** tubing,side sills,D/S loops and wire seperators. I will be cranking it tomorrow. Some more pics

I went ahead and pinned the ATI hub and applied torque stripe so I can see any slippage. I did have to slightly bore the pulley holes to accept the hardware attaching the pulley to the dampner.

Prior to VOI I asked Sean if he had any black bypass tubes or the metal ones in stock. He didn't, but he did give me the list of materials to make my own.

I did have an issue with the pulley hitting the snout, but it was fixed by having a machine shop take approx .050 off the back. I could have probably went with .020-.030 instead.