2001 RT/10 metal clank noise when tapping throttle

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone help define this problem? have a 2001 rt/10 that makes a clank noise when I am rolling along and tap the gas petal (in almost any gear) , or if I release the clutch relatively quickly (as soon as the clutch grabs you hear the noise). It sounds as if something is loose. I have checked trunk, etc. and there are no lose items. Car only has 9300 miles on it and noise seems to progressively be getting worse. Anyone have any idea's?

Clutch seems to be grabbing fine? Does this need replacing as its OEM? again noise is the worst when tapping throttle quickly and sounds like its coming from the mid to back of car underneath.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another item to check would be the universal joint where the driveshaft meets the rear end.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the wheel off. Remove the cotter pin and locking nut. Then tighten the nut that holds the integrated hub/wheel bearing. 200 ftlb is a good place to start. The passenger side on mine is what has loosened up. You cannot see the bearing unless the unit has failed. it used to be $300 for a replacement. The first time this happened I didn't catch it in time and had to replace it.

OP
OP
N

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the wheel off. Remove the cotter pin and locking nut. Then tighten the nut that holds the integrated hub/wheel bearing. 200 ftlb is a good place to start. The passenger side on mine is what has loosened up. You cannot see the bearing unless the unit has failed. it used to be $300 for a replacement. The first time this happened I didn't catch it in time and had to replace it.

I have 9300 miles on it, think bearings would get loose that fast? been mostly a garage queen...

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 116K miles on mine. The first one went at about 70K then second time at 116K. It's very simple to check. Just jack the car up one side at a time and check a rear tire for side to side movement. 10 mins to eliminate this as the issue.