2002 GTS Problems

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been a long time reader of this newsgroup :2tu: and found it very useful in troubleshooting previous problems but I seem to have run into some new ones this time. This started happening a couple of months ago and it is steadily getting worse on my 02 FE GTS. Please take a look, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1. In the morning it is very hard to shift into reverse. The shifter is very stiff until the engine warms up. Shifting in all the gears is very stiff for the first couple of miles. Then it loosens up a bit, but it is still stiffer than it used to be. (This only started happening in the last few months, and it is getting stiffer by the day)

2. Once the engine is warmed up and moving at expressway speed it is very hard to get the gearshift lever out of the right side of the box. It seems to get stuck on the right side so I can move it from fifth to sixth gear or neutral but not into any of the other gears. The only way to move it left is to wiggle it forward and backward a couple of times. Then it loosens up and can be moved into first.

3. When the car is warmed up it seems to develop a driveline lag. Basically there is this loud clunk when power is reduced. So in third gear if I lift off the gas and then press it again there is this loud clunk. (This does not happen in the morning when the engine is cold)

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Chris,
It sounds like the problem is in the transmission? You should have plenty of Warranty on your FE, have a Viper Tech check it out. They may replace it [that's what I would do]. If you want call me and I'll see if I can help? :cool:

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck, on this subject, the drive line clunk is the only problem I can relate to. the shifting is fine but in fourth, firth and sixth at cruising speeds I get the clunk when I decelerate and then go back to accelerate. Is this a normal thing or is there a transmission problem

thanks

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck, I will start my battle with the local Dodge dealer probably next week. Down here in South Florida finding a QUALIFIED dealer seems to be a near impossibility.

Do you really think is the inside of the transmission clunking. I was leaning more towards the transmission mount. Part number: 4643 318

Thanks again for your help.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the clunk that you describe, is it more of a click sound, at exactly the same moment you let off the gas and apply the gas again? i have the same problem with my car but its really no concern, it will actually do it in all gears but more difficult to hear in the lower gears cause the motors screamin. its just your u-joints. look at the car from underneathe tobe sure. it should be fine. it may be a tell tle sign that you will need to look at the drive train for repairs in the somewhat near future depending on the way you drive

OP
OP
I

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it's a more serious clunk. And it definitely did not do it in the first year I've had the car. It only started happening in the last couple of months.

But it does not happen in the morning. It seems that when I leave the car out in the sun for a while it happens more. I did check the U joints and did not notice any lag.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
start simple... with regard to the "cold shift" check the fluid (DOT3 brake fluid) in your clutch resovoir. Id be willing to bet its low..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery