2003 and 2004 Recall

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts on this site and I've never heard of an inadvertant airbag deployed in an 03-04 Viper, so I too am surprised by the recall.

Regards,
Aaron

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got mine too. Dealer says Jeeps and other vehicles recalled for the ORC fix. And I can't move the seat any further back!

Last edited:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We received our Recall today...2003 SRT-10.

Still no parts available for the fix.

REceived mine yesterday as well. All it says is no parts available, and I'll get another when they are! Car goes in for service and PA Inspection in early May, so hopefully part is available by then. However, car is 10 years old, 30,000 miles, and the airbag light has been on since I bought it 3 years ago. I think it would have happned by now..who knows?

I've been on these forums a while, and I don't ever recall seeing this happen to anyone.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine also. No Airbag Lite on my '04 but I can tell you it has planted a seed and I'll think about everytime I get into the seat until its fixed.

I received one for my '12 Ram 1500. Sounds like a fastener can work loose in the rear diff and lock up the back axle.

Paul Scharf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"However, car is 10 years old, 30,000 miles, and the airbag light has been on since I bought it 3 years ago. I think it would have happned by now..who knows?"

If your airbag lamp is on, then you have a problem with the air bag circuit. That would be a different problem then the recall. Just be aware if you take your car into the dealer, they may "ask" to repair the air bag circuit and that will require parts at additional expense. There are no cheap parts between the air bags and the controller. Just don't want you to go in for a "free" recall and walk out with a $1,000 bill. :)

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received the recall and it's typical that they don't have the parts available. My light has been on for a few years. I never have really checked it out. Paul what parts will need to be changed?

Paul Scharf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unsure what is causing the light to be on, was there any event that triggered an air bag deployment in the past?
My first guess would be the the air bag control module that sits on the center council. It acts as the crash sensor and the unit to deploy the air bags at the same time. Without plugging it in to get the correct fault code, it's just a guess.
I am not sure the best way to get the fault code without the dealer's DRB unit.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Which airbag light are you talking about? I can't remember if there's one in the main gauge cluster, but the little one by the secondary guages on the center console may be on if you have the passenger air bag turned off. There's a key hole in the glovebox to turn it on and off (I assume you know, but figured it wouldn't hurt to remind people).

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"However, car is 10 years old, 30,000 miles, and the airbag light has been on since I bought it 3 years ago. I think it would have happned by now..who knows?"

If your airbag lamp is on, then you have a problem with the air bag circuit. That would be a different problem then the recall. Just be aware if you take your car into the dealer, they may "ask" to repair the air bag circuit and that will require parts at additional expense. There are no cheap parts between the air bags and the controller. Just don't want you to go in for a "free" recall and walk out with a $1,000 bill. :)

Yes, I know. I should have clarified, they identified that 3 years ago - clock spring. I told 'em don't bother!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's the one in the main cluster right next to the seat belt light.

Black Moon, yours is like mine - probably bad clock spring. When my dealer idenified this 3 years ago, they quoted me about $400 fix. They said it didn't affect airbag operation, so I told 'em to leave it. But the OP is right - if I have the recall done, they may be forced to do the clock spring since parts are parts....

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I remember the letter stating that it was just a notice and would be followed by another one when the recall was ready to be fixed. Haven't gotten a second letter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235