2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 - Intake Valve Issue

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
quick question...Can't they post the VIN numbers affected on this website or someplace else??? Waiting to get a letter or trying to call DC with them giving different answers seems funny when the best communication is these forum groups!

IF DC READS THIS(OR ANYONE WITH THE LIST)PLEASE ACCIDENTALLY POST THE FINDINGS ON THIS ISSUE HERE!!!!

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious... Has anyone effected with the valve issue had a chance to dyno their cars before having the fix implemented to see the hp difference?

With a possible 25 hp gain after the fix, it would be interesting to see before and after dynos.

Don

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We dynoed our SRT at 505 miles. The best it could do was 425 RWHP and that was with K&N filters. There was a noticeable difference compared to the other Gen I and II Vipers we dynoed. Not just in achieved HP either. You could see on the chart as the car spoiled up that it was varying all over the place. The dyno operator actually came up to me and told me that something was wrong with the car that was causing the fluctuations. It was that obvious.

Milksnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everyone who recived a letter is now part of the club. :smirk:

As a footnote, today I was suddently surrounded by 2 bronze Lamborghini Murcielago's at around 3:00 PM on highway 280 and I was afraid to race due to the perceived lack of power. :( However, if I was in my 97 GTS I would have had no problem racing them. Today, my SRT felt flat, is this due to the letter or is it a reality? :confused:

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me get this straight. You were in a dream situation with not one but two identical Lambo Mercielagos and didn't race because you were afraid your car was not up to it, due to a perceived lack of power. That is truly sad. I wonder what the Lambo boys were thinking.

Chad

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think 25 hp less would make a big difference. I think the SRT would still take care of the Murcielagos.

Though I will say that my perception of the performance also diminished after I received the letter. Of course that was also the only hot day we have had so far in the cold midwest. It was 85 that day and I noticed a significant drop in performance and increase in traction versus other drives when the temp was in the mid 60's or lower. If we get some sunshine I will try again as the temps have returned to a Michigan like 50 range. Ugh!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting the letter didn't make a difference. The SRT's always felt slow to me :laugh:

BTW - show of hands: how many of you, when you got this news, immediately thought "hmmm, heads are coming off, perfect time to get 'em ported!" ?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
DDog...

In May...me/my car...you/your car...Lambo hunting...
Whatdoya think?

CStegall
Hey Clark,
Outstanding idea! What do you say we first go down to the recently opened Dallas Lambo dealership and create some excitement to get things started. Will you have your DLM back by our next meeting on May 10th?

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first posting on this website. I am a "newbie".
I have also become one of those lucky Viper owners to receive the covetted (not corvetted) Intake valve award. I want to thank a lot of you for providing helpful hints, excellent pics, and explanations for all the rattles, and fixes on the new 2003. I've learned a lot from monitoring your posts while waiting for the beast to arrive. Yes, it's red, and so far I have purchased the short shifter, radio and AC knobs, license plate frame, and the top boot cover.
The day I read the fateful news from DC about the valves I was returning from Blockbuster. I had just make a leisurely right hand turn onto my street when I heard a pop and then a hissing sound. This was followed by a thwak, thawk, thwak as I rolled along the street. I only had a half mile to go to my driveway so I continued on expecting to see something terrible leaking from the bottom of my car on arrival. As I pulled into my driveway the thwak stopped. Guages were all nominal, and none of those genuine liquid crystal warning icons were on. I hopped out and looked under and around the engine compartment for the cause, and didn't see anything obvious but I did smell an odd odor coming fron the right front wheel. I walked back along my driveway and found a flattened beer can with a ridge sticking up right down the middle of the can. I had apparently run over a full can of beer. The can got stuck in the groove of my tire and made the thwacking noise. Sure enough, the smell at the front tire was beer!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaah, the dreaded "beer can" SRT tire issue. I believe D-C is working on a recall for this problem as we speak. In the meantime you can work around the problem by drinking your beers before placing them under your car :laugh:

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think of this as an opportunity. If you have a friendly local dealer, while the car is apart, you could have someone do a bit of magic (port the heads) since they are going to be off anyway. Since they (Dodge) are paying to pul the heads off, I see it as a great opportunity to do the heads, that way you don't have to do them later. Imagine, 25 HP from fixing the valves, and another 40HP from ported heads, for a total of 60-65HP. I think you might notice that...

Just a thought...

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At a local event they dynoed a SRT and there was some flutter. The car was far from 500 HP. I guess this was the problem.

American car companies are famous for letting the buyers find the bugs in the first couple years of a release. I have had a few 1st year american car models and all of them had little quarks.

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was about to pick up a brand new SRT-10 on Friday. But when I saw the post I stopped and wondered if the car will be ripped apart after seeing this post.

I am in Ontario Canada. any idea if any or some of these cars made it here? I have the vin number and the build date. The car was built in March. But were the engines built earlier?
Any news on this or should I call the 800 number?

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperz, Do I take it you would value an intake valve affected SRT less than a non-affected one?

If so how much would it impact the value from your perspective?

Would the answer be the same if service was pending or already performed?

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cris.

I was not really concerned about the value of one or the other. I was just wondering if any of these cars made it here?
On the service side, I would just like to make sure it was done right. I do have a great Viper place close by. But why get one if it has to be ripped apart. Simply for all the concernes listed above.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you refer to "here" do you mean Canada? If so, I have one in BC and another member in AB has one, but I don't know about non VCA members in our area.

GregSRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Called and was told #742 (02-03 build) is not affected. It confused the customer service rep (and me), since my VIN is in the midst of the affected vehicles. Were some repaired at DC before shipment to the dealers?

homesite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone let me know if "850" is OK or is it one of the valve problem cars, thanks!!

AZVIPERS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does one find out when the engine was built and if they will need to have this issue taken care of? I am about to purchase an 03 from a dealer and will pass if the car needs this repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi