2004 Black SRT-10

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I found a local 2004 SRT-10, black, 38,000 miles.... they are asking $38,900....what does everyone think a fair price is for this one? It's at the Mercedes dealer......

Thanks,
Lance

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I found a local 2004 SRT-10, black, 38,000 miles.... they are asking $38,900....what does everyone think a fair price is for this one? It's at the Mercedes dealer......

Thanks,
Lance

If the condition is very good then I would think that is a good price. There has to be some Viper people out there who can help with an inspection. Cosmetically, look behind the wheels for a lot of road rash and on the hood for the same. If there is--that might be a sign that it was tracked. Ask the dealer for permission to contact the former owner. Check fluids for dirtiness, brown colors as this may be a sign that the fluids have not been changed adequately. Check the tires... They should be new or fairly new. Look at the DOT date. Do a "Autocheck" or at least Carfax. Look at all the paint up and down the sides to make sure there is not "orange peel" which is a sign it has been repainted. Drive it... listen to the engine with the hood open for strange noises. Check every working item like wipers, A/C, power windows, etc. to make sure everything works. The list goes on and on... my hand is getting tired... Next...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a decent asking price if its in good shape and has proof of maintenance

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If $38,900 is their asking price you should be able to get it for even less. I'd offer $36,500 and see how much they budge. With the economy in Florida, they may want out of the car.

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have a 1996 RT/10....... been wanting something different than my 2008 Shelby GT500 as a dd...... This one came up locally and I am going to go check it out.... I was curious everyone's thoughts on how much I should be willing to pay for it.......

Thanks

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went and inspected it today... it has 38,200 miles and they are asking $39,991. Got it up on a lift and drove it a good bit. The cats are gone..need new catalytic converters..... the sensors are wire ******* under the frame I imagine they are OK... no check engine light, but how can they just be hanging there?The only other issue bottomside was that it appears a prior owner had run up over a speed bump (or such) and there is a long scratch and slight denting to the passenger side floor pan...from underneath.

The prior owner had black film on the headlights, fog lights, tail lights..and back up lights. The film was already off the headlights and the lenses are crazed and cannot be saved. The driver seat needs the foam bolster replaced, the visors are missing...... it has the run-flats on it (look to be fairly new but did not get the date code). The paint overall is good, significant swirl marks but imagine it will buff out nicely. The radio does not work and the beltline trim on the top of the door panel (just to the interior of the window) is missing. Oh yeah...and the logos on the calipers are very faded...almost not visible... I am guessing track time.... not that I think that's bad....but just another item to consider......

They'll replace the trim piece and fix the radio...... but won't come below about $38,000. My "gut" tells me I shouldn't pay more than $36K with the items that have to be replaced..... Anyone have any thoughts...and it is here local in Jacksonville Florida. It was traded locally, the prior owner was a police officer....anyone know the prior owner???

Thanks again,
Lance

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds kind of rough. Headlights are $1200 each I think. Used are $600 each, $1500 for tires. Visors. Cats are probably $1000, maybe each. So you're going to spend $5000 before you get it home. I'd look for a lower mileage better deal.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turn and run. Much better cars to be had for that $$.

I agree. The problem with a car that at a quick inspection is rough in some areas is that once you get the car home and start cleaning, working on it, etc., you will probably start to notice many more things that are not good. Believe me... experience speaking...

Those things should not be wrong at 38K miles. I have 70K miles on my Ford 500 (with two kids in it all the time) and if I cleaned it up it would look like new--no missing/broken things. How can trim be missing? Seat needing work at 38K miles? Whoever had that car did not take car of it. As the saying goes, if they did not take care of the outside, chances are they did not take care of the mechanicals either. :mad:

I'd say $34K would be my limit. I bet they haven't got any more than $34K "hard money" in it (if that much) in that condition--especially on a trade.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where I live I had my choice of 10,000 mile bone stock 2004s for around $45k asking price. Unless they will go down a few thousand, and you can't afford any more, I'd find something else.

~Jay

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 2004 Black Mamba edition with only 31k miles, never tracked, 20 inch in the back 19 up front forged..bbb racing exaust, cold airintake , pcm upgrade consv runs amazing and i was thinking of selling mine for 38500 so screw them that they wont go below 38..

F

FrgMstr

I paid $44K for my 2005 with with 15K miles and it was in CHERRY condition. Passed Dodge Certified Used Car Verification and even bought a 3 year "gold" warranty from Chrysler. So YES, there are better deals to be had.

With 19/20" HRE Wheels to boot!

2_1_.jpg

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea I have a 03, 13k, with no problems, (knock on wood) and I'd sell mine for only a few g's more then there asking price. So I'd keep looking.

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I bought a 2006 SRT-10 convertible, GTS blue one owner with 5,300 miles.... cash plus my Shelby as a trade in....it had 46,000 miles..... I am very happy with it so far.....will post pics soon.

Thank you all for the great replies...

IDMSDBA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
6 months ago I bought a triple black 05 from a dealer, 4K miles, pristine, $55K.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone said "look for Orange peel in the pain" a sign it has been repainted.......BULL$#!^!!!
Both Vipers I have owned had Orange peel straight from the factory, brand new.
I love Vipers, but their paintwork has never been great.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the car. Used to belong to a buddy of mine. Rims are powder coated black. Last I saw the car it just needed a little TLC to polish up the paint. His friend did run it up on a curb but I never saw the damage. I know one wheel was repowdered.

Let me know if I can help you if you really are interested in the car. I can probably arrange a phone conversation with the previous owner.

:usa:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I bought a 2006 SRT-10 convertible, GTS blue one owner with 5,300 miles.... cash plus my Shelby as a trade in....it had 46,000 miles..... I am very happy with it so far.....will post pics soon.

Thank you all for the great replies...

Sorry didn't see this before I replied above.

Congrats!

:usa:

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Rob... as a matter of fact, I had an opportunity to talk with the prior owner of the 2004... really a nice guy to talk to. I liked the black...but I just couldn't pass up this 2006.... I think I mentioned to you that I really wanted a color other than black...I was thinking silver, but his GTS blue just HIT me!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone said "look for Orange peel in the pain" a sign it has been repainted.......BULL$#!^!!!
Both Vipers I have owned had Orange peel straight from the factory, brand new.
I love Vipers, but their paintwork has never been great.

Thanks. That was me. So, glad to know orange peel is not a sign of a car that has been repainted. :rolleyes: That will make it easier next time I look for a used car. :smirk:

The orange peel on the Gen 3/4's is not near as significant or bad as on a Gen 1/2, and he was shopping for a Gen 3/4. If he was shopping for a Gen 1/2, then, yes, lots of orange peel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62