2004 console lighter lid stuck closed

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. i am hoping there is a simple way to get it opened, is it a fuse.....or an uncooperative mechanical spring that can only be reached by removing the console. thank you

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the console is not hard at all. Maybe I would have an idea but my car is up in the air on a lift for the winter. I would think you could remover the bezels...

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, yes steve, it took 7 yrs without a cigar to figure that out.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
To get at the lighter assembly - simply pry upon the bezel (there are 4 press-in tabs, one at each corner) which should give you enough access to see if anything is binding on the back of the lighter assembly. If you need more access, to remove the entire bezel - you remove the shift knob, undo the electrical connections for the windows, and then slide the bezel over the parking brake handle.

Off topic I know - but bluesrt - do you ever post anything constructive - do you even own a Viper - rant over.....

take a big hammer to it

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. i am hoping there is a simple way to get it opened, is it a fuse.....or an uncooperative mechanical spring that can only be reached by removing the console. thank you

It can be removed. It would be a mechanical piece that is causing the problem. You have to remove the chrome piece from around the shifter and then get a flathead screwdriver and VERY GENTLY pry up the bezel. Start closer to the center console between the seats.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off topic I know - but bluesrt - do you ever post anything constructive - do you even own a Viper - rant over.....
yes i do everyday, read some of my posts, go have a drink or a smoke and get that but otta your but.

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thank you all. got it open, used a thin exacto blade on drivers side and "tripped" something to get it open, closed it and then stuff again...going to take apart as suggested to see why

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960