2006 Viper Engine Oil Level

domcall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am doing an oil change and it's so hard to check the level on the dipstick, does anyone know how much oil I should put in, thanks.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am doing an oil change and it's so hard to check the level on the dipstick, does anyone know how much oil I should put in, thanks.

Why is it so hard to check the level on the dipstick? Its like any other car. My car takes exactly 10.5 quarts but I still check the oil level.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I found that is very important with this car (also when I had my SRT Ram) is make sure you are on a level surface when checking the oil. A slight angle side to side, or front to back, seems to make a big difference on the dipstick.

I just changed my oil and filter a few weeks back - 10 quarts and it's perfect.:D

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked this same question awhile back. My 06 manual says 10 qts. I read somewhere that it's 10 1/2. My dealer says it's 11. I called the Dodge help line, and the guy looked it up in the manual.I thought, geez, thats the best that they could do? Half assed.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My 2006 SRT-10 likes about 10.5 quarts at each oil change with filter. Just check it after it's been run a bit if you only add 10 quarts.

I also fill the oil filter (as much as possible) before installing it to try and avoid a dry start.

As for checking the oil level, turn the dipstick over and check the level on the back side, it's much easier to see.

Dan