2006 vs. 2004

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a 2006 SRT vert....coming from a 2004 SRT vert. First thing I noticed is the clutch requires significantly less effort and the car shifts like a honda. What did Dodge do for this and what other differences are there between these years??

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an stock 04 and 06, drove them both last weekend and they feel the same to me and as far as I know they are the same exept for build related tolrences..

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
maybe your 04 was beat..........lol

just wondering 04-06 both verts why bother? Don't tell me they were both the same color also.........

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm actually going down to one viper, I had 97 b/w and a 04 mamba, but my one and only will be the one I just got a VOI9, I first sold the one I had the longest and now I'm ready to part with the mamba wich has 2500mi so no it's not beat not yet anyways....

OP
OP
S

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 04 SRT was silver and traded for an 06 black Paxton, motons, corsa and racelogic SRT. My 04 was mint with 3500 miles but clutch pedal had more effort than the 06....significantly. 06 shifts crisper. My 2004 didnt shift badly, just pedal felt like a John Deere vs. the 06 with barely any effort. Dunno, maybe its just me, but dont think so.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
to my knowledge, there was no change in the clutch system from those years, nor in the transmission. I have heard some rumors of a different gear material, though nothing I have seen points to that being true... I think somewhere along the lines the changes in the differential were transformed into transmission changes by mistake/word of mouth.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found clutch pedal feel does get stiffer with age/use.

I suspect the fingers in the pressure plate lose flexability after many heat cycles.

Also the clutch hydraulics may have a bit to do with the stiffness as well. The master and slave(aluminum) do wear internally with use. Sometimes you will see a metallic glitter in the fluid if you go a long time between flushes.

There are differences in the transmissions....none that would make the feel any differant though. Sometime in 05 mopar made the switch to a higher grade steel for the gear sets. This was done to strengthen the transmission for use in the viper truck. You can buy either gear set but you should not mix them.

John Donato of donato engineering can tell you all about it and he's got all the parts : 248-676-8554

Reaction score
The car you purchased had our modified shifter installed before your purchase and that with the stiffer springs could be why it feels better. No difference in the clutch and I doubt the aluminum flywheel has anything to do with it either.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have found clutch pedal feel does get stiffer with age/use.

Bingo!
The clutch effort required is a great indication of overall clutch condition. When I get in a car with a harder pedal, I know that the clutch is coming up sooner, rather than later.
When you put in a new OE replacement, it's significantly easier.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm actually going down to one viper, I had 97 b/w and a 04 mamba, but my one and only will be the one I just got a VOI9, I first sold the one I had the longest and now I'm ready to part with the mamba wich has 2500mi so no it's not beat not yet anyways....

opps i was replying to the other guy...........sorry...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4