2007 Viper AX Challenge vs SRT

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I haven't been as active lately and may have missed who is attending this year's VCA vs. SRT AX. I was lucky enough to go 4 years ago (the days of Wolfgang!) and the biggest surprise for me was how the event was run (not quite like an AX) and how long the course was. So, let's start the comraderie and share what we do know so that the VCA can put on the best showing possible.

Who's going?

Who knows anything about the SRT guys? When I went they had an SCCA Solo II champion hidden in their 10 entrants.

What surprise car will there be this year?

Andrew and I had the NE region invitations, I hope he's still going!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past, members were selected based on top times at the Rendezvous and VOI's.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Rendezvous and VOI's in the past year to apply here (that I am aware of). So Tom how did you get selected?

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NJ chapter had a well-publicized, well attended AX competition vs. the NY/CT club. (The very nice and large trophy is currently in my possession!) The highest two finishing VCA members were selected. Since there were no VOI, rendezvous, or other events formally conducted for the VCA vs SRT event, I was wondering - as you were- what the other events were and who is going.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom:

I'm in. I already was contacted by Kim and got all the info. My flights are set. I am flying out Friday 9/28 pm and staying over till Sunday morning then I'm gone.

So what car do you think we'll be using? And did you say the course is big-er than the normal size we might run? I thought the AX at the Meadowlands was big. Bigger than that ? Sounds more like a road course.

Andrew

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Tom I will make a play on your words from the Michigan side.

The Michigan chapter had a well-publicized, well attended AX competition (we had 22 participants including 1 Illinois, Ohio and Ontario member present). The very nice (albeit small) trophy is currently in my possession! To the best of my knowledge no MCVO members were selected for this competition. Hmm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm also.

Andrew, the course 4 years ago was the size of the Meadowlands lot PLUS a loop around the outside the Meadowlands size course. It was nice, but if you didn't have an "AX-mindset" to remember the course, you got lost easily.

Since everyone used one of two available cars (they were the cars painted yellow for the Fast and Furious movie), and ran their two attempts back to back (didn't get out of the car) by the third driver the tires were overheated and very slippery. Not that you couldn't get an OK run, but it was to the point where you had to know the car to do well. At that time there weren't many with a Gen 3 experience, and half those attending did not have much autocross experience either.

Therefore I'm curious who's going and how there were chosen - if there were a "competitive" event selection process maybe the VCA side would have a good shot. The team vs. team scoring was a total of the times (or maybe top five times?) so not having a bad run was more important than having a few good ones.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Since there were no Zone Rendezvous this year, we asked the Zone Directors if they wished to have a Zone/Mulit-Regional Auto Cross event. The only responses were from the Western, Northeast and Southeast Zones. Each of these Zones provided winners for the upcoming event. We hope next year that other Zones will also provide events/candidates for this event. Of course, as is customary, the National Officers will all attend this one day event. If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions regarding this process for the future, please advise.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since there were no Zone Rendezvous this year, we asked the Zone Directors if they wished to have a Zone/Mulit-Regional Auto Cross event. The only responses were from the Western, Northeast and Southeast Zones. Each of these Zones provided winners for the upcoming event. We hope next year that other Zones will also provide events/candidates for this event. Of course, as is customary, the National Officers will all attend this one day event. If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions regarding this process for the future, please advise.

So I take it the Southwest and Midwest Zone Directors did not provide information or abstained. Strange, but not exactly unexpected.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, this is a annual event? Do you know the other participants?

Suggestions - Let members bring and run our own cars.

Reason #1: If part of the event is marketing to current owners, it makes sense to compare new model to older models.

Reason #2: For me, a lot of the fun is the drive from NY to Detroit.

Reason #3: The SRT guys will always have access to some 2009 proto 700HP Gen IV Super CC Viper, so no complaining about members bringing a ringer. I just have a simple Gen 1, non-ABS, mostly stock car... No fair using the "insurance for non-company cars on site" excuse, I'll sign any waiver, just like we would be on a Rendezvous event.

Andrew, I think if we're representing the few, the strong, and the proud, they should make us some shirts with a picture of the Venom Cup Trophy on them. The SRT guys might laugh so hard, they couldn't drive straight.... All kidding aside, the NJ club had some nice shirts already made up. I bought a short sleeve button-down one a few years ago, could use a nice long-sleeve to go with it!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom:

Having our own cars would be nice, but for me I already made flight arrangements.

I think we should have the Venom Cup shipped out. The glare from the shine, and the way the light flickers off the NY win engravings would surely distract the competiion. But none of that. This is a NY/CT/NJ effort to take the AX championship back to the northeast.

:usa:

AC

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Corrections/Additional Info:

The event is held every other year ... Non-VOI years.

Owner cars would not be allowed at Chelsea Proving Grounds.

SRT was planning to have an AX event in Nashville that would have been set-up for Midwest and Southwest Zones. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, who are the other lucky drivers (and how many are there?)

Big company mentality - they can build cars, even one-off cars, but as soon as they are sold they are banished from where the ideas came. I'll bet it's really the drivers/non-employees they have don't want to drive.... wait, we're driving their cars on their property! In fact, we drive next year's car... and we drive the cars they build every day on dangerous public roads ... but can't drive our cars in their confined spaces... Oh well, I would drive to Nashville just to know how better or worse my car is than the new ones.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attention Andrew & Tom

The North East is counting on you!

I don't want to put any extra pressure on either one of you but............

If you loose Adrian & Charlie will photo shop you guys wearing pink dresses while driving Corvettes, and post it here on National :omg:

WIN WIN WIN

GO TEAM NORTH EAST!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Bobby.

I'll do my best, and we all know it comes more natural to Tom. It'll be interesting to see what we end up driving. I'm figuring to **** down about 6 redbulls 30 minutes before my run. That should get me all wired up enough to push beyond my limits. I want this real bad, so there will be no lack of effort.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever they throw at us to drive (they didn't say ahead of time) - have to resist the urge to drive it like you rented it until half way through the day. (Save the Red Bull for lunch.) It'll be a new course, new car, and you know these SRT guys have been practicing for a looooong time. Last time I went the car needed new tires half way through the event. I didn't do as well as I hoped because there were far more "new" things than I expected and because the weather was cool and windy, it wasn't that much fun to stand outside in line...

Anyway, I'm going to wear my chartreuse NJ VCA club shirt, bring that cute NJ hand bag (ok, you guys call it a "tool" bag) and a picture of Bobby C and Tom R. washing the NY car.... Yup, it'll be fun. And thanks again for the Venom Cup event to make it happen.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, good idea. WE should have a pic of the Venom Cup to stick on the dashboard when we get in the car for inspiration, sort of like Rocky with the pic of Marciano on his living room wall.

Let them practice, Tom, they'll need it.

AC

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us know what SRT car they are using...and of course, PICS!!! Good luck to Tom and Andrew...Andrew, your reputation precedes you -- I KNOW what an excellent driver you are....I've been 'told' by an expert!!!~~~juli
(And, no, I'm not talking about the go-karting--your track experience)

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli - I don't know who told you that, but they need glasses.

Geez, the pressure is on. Tom, when we bring victory to the Northeast, I think a parade through NY/CT/NJ is in order.

AC

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli - I don't know who told you that, but they need glasses.
Geez, the pressure is on. Tom, when we bring victory to the Northeast, I think a parade through NY/CT/NJ is in order.
AC

Now, don't be modest here, Andrew!!! I believe in you...go for it, you and Tom both.
We'd love to see a parade here in NY/CT/NJ~~~the pressure builds!! ~juli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang