2008 Cruise Control ???????????

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
... that could help reduce speeding tickets on those long long drives

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I had it for those long road trips...if it can be turned off, what's wrong about it?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
arrrgh....

Let's quote Herb AGAIN, shall we?

Herb Helbig, is the “Grailkeeper“. His official title is Manager of Vehicle Synthesis. In other words, he is keeping the Viper, as it EVOLVES (MY emphasis) through the course of its life, true to the original set of parameters.

From Herb himself:

We’ve got to keep it simple, we’ve got to make it fun, its got to be the most outrageous car you’ve ever touched. When you turn the key on, the hair on the back of your neck has got to stand up. It’s got to be a visceral, emotional, almost religious experience. It falls to me to make sure that we don’t lose sight of why we started this program. It’s all about fun, passion, and the desire just to put people back on their heels to say “I can’t believe these guys made such an outrageous, awesome, off-the-scale car”. It’s a challenge to mature it, to grow the car up a little, yet not lose its essence. When people come to me and say “you know it really needs cruise control; I took one to Chicago and my right foot got kinda tired…” that guy gets thrown out of my office. Or a guy comes in and says “you know, it would be cool if we had power seats’ that guy gets thrown out of the building. And the guy who says “I think we need an automatic transmission” well, they’re still looking for his body.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a Snakeoyl cruise control I bought from PartsRack. Put it on my 98 GTS and installed it so the control module was down low by the clutch master cylinder so the only way you know it has cruise is the cable attached to the throttle cable. If you really wanted to hide it you could mount it under the dash and have it pull the throttle cable from undr dash. That's the way I connected aftermarket cruise on my 52 pickup and 36 Ford, all under dash. The SnakeOyl kit has a really great RF no wire actuator button that can be stuck on the steering wheel center pad below the horn pad. PM if you ned pics.

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added the snake oyl one to mine also, works great. If you really don't like the look, the control head is a transponder so just keep it in the center console and pull it out when you need it, like a Garage door opener!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This months Road & Track lists Cruise Control as an option. :omg: Tell me it isn't so.:dunno:

:omg: This is almost as bad as when they added electric windows:omg: :smirk:

For those few Viper owners, that drive their car on the street more than racing it on the track. I'll take it.

Probable a miss print though.:rolleyes:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruise control... Come on. There has been nothing further noted and from the interior shots i have seen, it is not an option. Thank god.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered two more, and .................................nope...............no code, no reference, no dice.....................cruise control is not on the menu .

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: This is almost as bad as when they added electric windows
Might as well have all the comfort. Cup holders now, TOO!! Purple paint??
That BIG upgrade when they put rubber around the wheels really screwed things up for the Viper. Just hope they don't go A/T!!:D

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you know it, people are gonna start asking for heads up displays and low glare angel eye headlights! They already added ABS and power mirrors...let's not get out of hand here, lol.
I like the idea of keeping it simple, I'm still on the fence about whether or not I would want ABS or not. I also wouldn't be driving it in the rain though, so I can see some folks' point of view on ABS...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you know it, people are gonna start asking for heads up displays and low glare angel eye headlights! They already added ABS and power mirrors...let's not get out of hand here, lol.
I like the idea of keeping it simple, I'm still on the fence about whether or not I would want ABS or not. I also wouldn't be driving it in the rain though, so I can see some folks' point of view on ABS...

I appreciate the basics approach, but I'm no expert racer. I was hesitant getting a 97 because I thought I needed ABS, but 4 yrs of ownership and a couple near misses, I'm pretty confident without ABS... although I am lookin to upgrade to a 2002 GTS (with ABS) soon. As for traction control and all the other stuff, I wouldn't mind installing some aftermarket in mine. The point it, the Viper should be kept simple... stock. That's why I'm also against factory SC and TT.

Anything you want to add when you get it... go for it!

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point it, the Viper should be kept simple... stock. That's why I'm also against factory SC and TT.

Anything you want to add when you get it... go for it!

I agree 100%, keep it NA from the factory. If all Vipers produced were FI, it would take away from the individualism of every owner that decides to go SC or turbo. 600hp is already more than enough for most people! The guys here that think Motons/Penskes should be added stock, I don't think that that's neccessary either. How many people would really use the performance shocks over what they have stock now? If they make them too well from the factory, we won't have any wrench turning and knuckle busting to do...and who the hell wants that?! :dunno:

EDIT: Now, do I want all that extra power and performance suspension? You bet! I want to do it myself as that is half the fun to me though.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guys here that think Motons/Penskes should be added stock, I don't think that that's neccessary either. How many people would really use the performance shocks over what they have stock now?

All sports cars have an image they want to present regardless of how many customers actually take advantage of it, starting with the speedometer. What's the SRT's speedo, 220mph? LOL C'mon, that's image all the way. And the fact that it is off to the side in favor of the tach is even more of an in-your-face race car image.

The thing about the Viper is that it has the balls to back the image it presents. Things like Penske shocks, monoballs or dry sump would add to that image regardless if any owners could actually appreciate the performance gains.

Besides, nobody is getting the max potential out of any sports car on the street anyway, even a Vett, but we all still love driving our sports cars on the street.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, listening to You guys they should have stopped design and production at 2002 model year!! At least I don't have a CUP holder!!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers come with a cruise control access point. Its called the gas pedal. One applies the brain and a foot to the access point on a consistent basis allowing for cruise control. LQ.

On the other point raised, I think that SRT should consider having a dealer installed supercharger package which would include a supercharger, suspension enhancements, and higher flow mufflers ( if needed ). Unless SRT does it, it is going to probably be at least two years, if ever, before a supercharger kit, including the steps and parts necessary to decompress the engine and tune within the code are available. Some have suggested that a cam change would be necessary. So, even if it becomes possible, a supercharger kit and a suspension upgrade for the 2008 will not be a performance bargain equal to the Paxtonized, Eibached, Motoned, corner balanced Gen III. JM2C

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brain and foot gets tired on long trips; I'm not interested in absolute driver control when driving the speed limit for long periods - cruise control is a simple lightweight solution to this problem. The current aftermarket solution isn't good enough. Don't tell me to drive a Vette - already did that. Dodge has lost a lot of market share to Chevy for the more comfortable, safer alternative. Some of that is intentional, but we know not all of it was. Race car for the street - I like that but I don't to go too far with it. A lot of you drive a different vehicle for those trips - some of us would still like to keep the excitement of the Viper for these trips which won't be lost with the addition of cruise control.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The brain and foot gets tired on long trips; I'm not interested in absolute driver control when driving the speed limit for long periods - cruise control is a simple lightweight solution to this problem. The current aftermarket solution isn't good enough. Don't tell me to drive a Vette - already did that. Dodge has lost a lot of market share to Chevy for the more comfortable, safer alternative. Some of that is intentional, but we know not all of it was. Race car for the street - I like that but I don't to go too far with it. A lot of you drive a different vehicle for those trips - some of us would still like to keep the excitement of the Viper for these trips which won't be lost with the addition of cruise control.

The excitement of the viper is that it doesn't have all the comforts and nannytech. If you don't understand that then that's ur problem. Read Herb's statement above. :rolleyes:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The excitement of the viper is that it doesn't have all the comforts and nannytech. If you don't understand that then that's ur problem. Read Herb's statement above. :rolleyes:

Herb's not winning, check out the new models.
I haven't fiqured out the 'spare tire' thing in the back of my race car thought that's what pit crews were for. :lmao: I love my cruise that Jon B sold me. It works great and It only weights 2 lbs. You know, a BigMac and fries.:headbang:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Herb's not winning, check out the new models.
I haven't fiqured out the 'spare tire' thing in the back of my race car thought that's what pit crews were for. :lmao: I love my cruise that Jon B sold me. It works great and It only weights 2 lbs. You know, a BigMac and fries.:headbang:

Actually... Herb is doing just fine. He acknowledges the Viper will evolve. To date, there is no other car as outrageous as the Viper. Everytime I hear some pansy whine "I can't believe they don't have cruise control", or "I can't believe they don't have TC"... Herb has earned his wings.

The Viper is the most outrageous, KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) car OF ITS TIME. Yes, it runs on gas and electricity, but that's not the same as a heads up display with night vision, angel eyes, cruise control, traction control, turning headlights and self-parallel park. ABS was bad enough for some people, although you can make a case for improved track time.

As I've said before... buy the car that most reflect you. Don't buy a car you wished you were and then demand it change FOR you. It's like buying a suit and then demanding they add on cargo pockets, velcro straps and canteen holder so you can wear it on a camping trip. Heck, some of you should not even be in Vettes... I recommend the mini cooper. :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current aftermarket solution isn't good enough.

Why not? Everyone that has gotten the aftermarket cruise loves it. Have you heard something bad about it or do just want to force everyone who buys a Viper to get cruise control because you want cruise control?

I don't want cruise control.

I also don't want 120 buttons on my tv remote but I'm forced to get them because apparently somebody wants them.

Can somebody out there make a Viper tv remote? I want a power buttton, a volume button and 0-9 channel buttons. Thats all I want.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The brain and foot gets tired on long trips; I'm not interested in absolute driver control when driving the speed limit for long periods..."

1. It is prudent to stop and take a break if you get tired while driving any car but especially a Viper.

2. When driving the speed limit for long periods, one should use a Lincoln Town Car. I do not think that the Viper, a streetable race car, was built for this purpose. Driving a Viper for long distances on the highway at constant speed is like using a race horse to give kiddie rides at a party.

With the above said, enjoy your snake.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is there an aftermarket solution for cruise control starting in 2008? Remember it is throttle by wire and there is no linkage to connect to. The lack of one from the factory may prevent one period.

That said the addition of cruise control is only the buttons. Everything else, and I mean everything, is in the PCM. No weight, no mechanical complexity that can fail, ... The only argument is the hard line "a race car does not need it." Fine, but take a race car on a long trip. My foot/ankle cannot take long drives in the Viper. Something about the pedal geometry does not work for me. And yes I know it is adjustable (ooh, are race car pedals adjustable???). Cruise would allow me to take my foot off the gas instead of switching feet to avoid the pain.

This whole argument about creature comforts is insane. There are only a few hundred or so die-hard enthusiasts that are so demanding as to follow Herb's reasoning to the letter. Many, including me, want the car to remain true to its roots, but use technology where it can be employed to aid the peformance of the Viper without adding (excess) weight or luxury. We always use the Cobra as an example. But none of us know what the Cobra would offer in 2008. We only know what it offered back in the early 60's.

Here is a quick list of items that do not follow the original persona of the Viper:
electric windows
electric trunk
electric pedals
electric side view mirrors
hydraulic clutch
tilt steering column
ABS
tire pressure monitor
windshield washer
rear window defrost
Air conditioning
console glove box
locking doors
carpeted trunk
navigator
engine knock detection
electronic throttle control (drive by wire)
cam in cam variable exhaust timing

I am sure there are more. Obviously the Viper is not as bare bones as some state. It is only in the obvious areas that it is not. Things like electric seats, heated seats, heads up display, cruise, traction control, Electronic stability control, auto-manual or full auto transmission, etc. Some of these may become federal requirements in the not too distant future. And if the hard line is maintained the Viper will be history. So for you TC and ESC haters, you will need to buy used to avoid them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4