2008 Viper ACR odometer fraud

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I did a VIN check of my 2008 ACR that I sold to a guy in Texas about 3 years ago. My car had almost 2k miles on it when I sold it, and it looks like he rolled back the odometer and sold it early this year with only 901 miles on it. Is the odometer that easy to tamper with??? By the way, the car is black with a red stripe, sold in March of this year to someone in Midland TX. If that is your car, you have been defrauded.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pm sent..... This car was absolutely rolled back, and had the odometer swapped. I know exactly the car your talking about. The dealer knew it, and was involved.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be reported to the relevant authorities? I was under the impression only the dealer tools could do the roll back so someone at a dealership had to be an active, knowing participant in this scheme.

***** for the guy who thought he was getting a <1000mile car.

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cannot "roll back" the odometer in the traditional sense, it is programmed in a computer so the only way to do it is either reprogramming or just swap out the computer.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also from my readings you cannot just swap gauges like most cars. It has been confirmed the miles are locked into the ECU. But why in the hell would you waste your time dropping a 2K mile car to less then 1K. I don't see the point regardless let alone the pennies to made off such a thing.

-Tim

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was interested in this car. The 901 miles was huge selling point for me, as I was looking for a "like brand new" ACR, black/red stripe. (not too many around)

Upon my initial due dillegence, I found this information via an old "for sale" ad. When I called to pull the plug on the deal (for obvious reasons) I fugured they'd be shocked and bummed. No........ They accused me of basically being a liar, and continued to sell the car as advertised. Even though I showed them proof.

I should have posted this a long time ago, I knew it was fraud. But until this post, I thought it might be possible the old for sale ad, had a mileage typo (even though I never believed that)

disgraceful. too many; you should post the vin#

Rollbacks (for the most part) are ancient history. Those carfax alerts are mainly typos at the DMV or inspection office. (carfax IS clean on the car BTW). I thinking someone likely swapped the speedo out... I diagnostic check would confirm the actualy mileage. (unless thats been changed also)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also from my readings you cannot just swap gauges like most cars. It has been confirmed the miles are locked into the ECU. But why in the hell would you waste your time dropping a 2K mile car to less then 1K. I don't see the point regardless let alone the pennies to made off such a thing.

-Tim

Exactly.!!!! thats always been my thoughts as well. I dont care if you drive in a bubble. Anyone who knows these cars, can spot a 40k mile car, over a 5k mile car from 10 feet away. why shave a few thousand off?

I mean, 901 miles. I'm expecting a BRAND NEW car. Not one scratch, rock chip, chin rash, nothing. How could one "claim" that. with say 10k miles. The car would certainly show some rash on the sills, etc,etc, and for what? a few grand?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my understanding it's stored in both. What you see is stored in the instrument cluster, what he computer reads is stored in the PCM.

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's in the body control module. You have to order the part from a dealer and they have to program it. It could have been a shop that lied to the dealer. I had a issue with my car that the milage ran up on it owns and the miles were not driven. The shop I had it at was going to order a Body control module and have the milage set back to what it was when the problem showed up. It was only a couple hundred miles but still. They ended up finding the problem and the BC mod was ok so I didn't need it replaced the shop told me that the milage is controlled by the BC mod but also stored in the main PC so its in both places and a dealer could see that. Its a shame how shady people are over a couple of $$$$$

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to see stuff like this happen. I'd post the VIN# here, for the world to find when they google search. I know I always google search a VIN when I'm considering a used vehicle.

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pm sent..... This car was absolutely rolled back, and had the odometer swapped. I know exactly the car your talking about. The dealer knew it, and was involved.

What is the name of that criminally complicit dealership that we should never buy Vipers (or any other cars) from?

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard of a car that the owner pulled the gauges and ECU while the miles were still super low and just stuck them in the garage. He installed a set of used gauges and ECU and drove the car for years, running up the mileage on that setup. When it came time to sell, he swapped back in the original gauges and ECU showing the super low miles and everything matched up perfectly so nobody would suspect a thing.

There are some unscrupulous people out there.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Tim

That's not exactly the only way it could have happened. The car had 2k when it was sold, then the unscrupulous buyer drives the hell out of it (maybe adding 10k if not more), then drops it back down to 901 miles before selling. If he was smarter he would have dropped it back to 2k instead of 901 miles, no one would have been able to prove anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets