2008 viper heads - pics + flow #'s

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A particularly 'Good' source of information sent me over some non-confidential pictures of the '08 viper heads. He also put them on a flow bench and gave me the #'s.

Wow.

Truly impressive. Look at those ports!!!

Flow #'s below pics. Thanks Greg Good!!!

08Viperpics_010.jpg

08Viperpics_007.jpg

08Viperpics_005.jpg

08Viperpics_003.jpg

Flow #'s are:

[FONT=&quot] Lift Intake Exhaust[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot].200 160 117 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot].300 240 177[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot].400 294 217[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot].500 334 237[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot].600 336 248[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot].700 328 252[/FONT]

Those are pretty sick!!! a set of striker heads out of the box doesn't flow what these do at .600 lift!!!

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the shaft mounted rockers stock from the factory? Looks like they really unshrouded the valves, opened up the "d" shaped exhaust ports, and went to a more rectangular vs oval type intake port. Could still go with an offset rocker arm to get the pushrod restriction out of the intake port. I bet Greg gets another 8 to 10% improvement when he is done. Great job!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will they bolt right up ? or is there more to it ?

i wonder what GG can do to these heads now to make them better ?

Reaction score
These heads flow very well considering that only the valve pockets and combustion chambers are CNC'd.

It looks like they'll bolt to the Gen2/3 blocks. The intake is totally different, as is the exhaust. The injectors also mount into the head now, not the intake. No provision for the power steering pump on a Gen 2. Straight bolt up? No. With a lot of work they could be fitted, but that might be cost prohibitive. Better to get a Striker for the Gen 2/3.

The chambers measure 4.010" across.

The exhaust ports are 1.710" wide, so a 1.875" outside diameter primary tube is needed for the headers.

The intake valve is 2.080" in diameter. The exhaust is 1.600"

They take a 1" reach spark pluig.

I'm told by a reliable source that the design work on these was done by Mike Chapman of Chapman Racing Heads.

This is the best flowing "factory" Viper head yet, and also the first one to have some porting "as installed". With a slightly larger 2.100" valve and some more porting I believe these heads would go 360 cfm. Maybe a little more. I think the exhaust can go 260 cfm.

I like where the valves are placed in the chambers. Much better than any previous "factory" Viper head. The intake valve is very unshrouded, and that is why the mid lift flow is so good. The wet flow should also be improved because of this.

I'm not porting this set of heads, another shop is. I'll let you guys know what they do if the shop that's doing them says it's ok to post that info.

Greg

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that is impressive. I wonder how they got their hands on a set of heads already?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang