2008 viper removing resonators

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone ever removed the resonators on a stock exhaust 2008. How does it sound? How much louder is the car over stock exhaust? how does it compare with removing the long muffler? any check engine light problems with this? I know the o2 sensor is before the resonator so it should be ok.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummmm.... the official OE part name for the muffler is the resonator.

He did say that he wasn't referring to the "long muffler", so it must be the secondary cat (inside the side sills).
Since they are after the O2 sensors, some people have had good luck simply gutting the internal core out of the secondary cats... less heat, more sound, and still may pass smog if the primary cat is in very good shape.

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes im talking about the secondary cat(middle unit) thats inside the side sills
less heat more sound is good :)

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of them is a metal core and not easy to gut. Just a fyi. I found out the hard way :)

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I pulled mine off and put on the magnaflow round mufflers and my car sounds AWESOME!!! I have had so many people compliment me on how good it sounds. Its loud but not obscene and the sound is perfect. Here is the link that gave me the idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX6NGEMl00o On a 2008 it sounds even better. This video does not do this set up justice. I did exactly what the video guy did. Look into it. It was very cheap and great results

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled mine off and put on the magnaflow round mufflers and my car sounds AWESOME!!! I have had so many people compliment me on how good it sounds. Its loud but not obscene and the sound is perfect. Here is the link that gave me the idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX6NGEMl00o On a 2008 it sounds even better. This video does not do this set up justice. I did exactly what the video guy did. Look into it. It was very cheap and great results

I had this same setup on my 06 before the main build. It sounded amazing!

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds good, pretty much what Im looking for. I will have to look into it. Did you put the magnaflow 10426 where the stock muffler was and get rid of the rear cat?
thanks,

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes I did. I took off the second cat and put the magnaflow 10426 in place of the stick muffler. It sounds amazing and it only cost me about $500 including parts. Best bang for the buck you can get on these cars.
Yeah that sounds good, pretty much what Im looking for. I will have to look into it. Did you put the magnaflow 10426 where the stock muffler was and get rid of the rear cat?
thanks,

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks,

The full Belanger kit sounds better :)

Still give you a great deal for the PCM and exhaust ! Ill even throw in a set of AB wires!